C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Art Morrison's 1960 "3G" Corvette (Video)

Old 10-10-2011, 08:35 PM
0TheSmokingTire
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Art Morrison's 1960 "3G" Corvette (Video)

Hello guys and gals,

My name is Zack, I'm a writer and producer for the online show "The Smoking Tire." We're just a bunch of car guys that love making funny and informative videos. They are mostly car reviews, but occasionally we do event coverage (as well as written content at our website).

It's hosted by Matt Farah. Some of you might have seen him on "The Car Show", or maybe you've seen The Smoking Tire before. I thought I was a car freak, but he's on another level.

Anyway, last week we uploaded a video of Matt test-driving the one-off creation that is Art Morrison's 1960 "3G" Corvette. We think the video came out really well, and I thought you guys would get a kick out of it. I hope you like the video. We have some more Corvette stuff we're editing together this week, and if you like this video, I'll put them up in the Corvette forums.

Watch the episode here.
Attached Images  

Last edited by TheSmokingTire; 10-10-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Didnt embed vid correctly
Old 10-10-2011, 08:59 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

OOooooooK, you asked for it.
Yes, this is a cool car (restorod) and a cool video.
BUT, this guy has NO clue!
"Meet me on the race track, and 'get the hell outa my way'"
I don't race a C1, but Paul Reinhart would probablylike to meetcha.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:10 PM
0TheSmokingTire
Former Vendor

I think Paul would hop in this car and enjoy the hell out of it. He might pass Matt in one of his race cars, but Matt was addressing the people that think it's better to keep a '60 Vette bone stock. Show me a stock 1960 Corvette that handles like this one, and I will eat one of Matt's shoes. And he only wears one pair of shoes, year round. SO I really really really don't want to do that.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:16 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I mean no disrespect, cause the car is cool, but Matt's comments on "racetrack" were over the top in a car with no roll CAGE and no helmet.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Loved it, thanks for posting that. Funny how they never tell you how much it costs to build one like it, in any of those shows!

Hmmmmmmm........
Old 10-10-2011, 09:35 PM
0TheSmokingTire
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Loved it, thanks for posting that. Funny how they never tell you how much it costs to build one like it, in any of those shows!

Hmmmmmmm........
Art has been offered $400,000 and turned it down. According to him, it cost more than that to build.

Matt owns a helmet, race suit, HANS, etc. But when we have free reighn of a track it's not necessary. Audio is better without a helmet, and it makes for a much better show.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:36 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Loved it, thanks for posting that. Funny how they never tell you how much it costs to build one like it, in any of those shows! Hmmmmmmm........

I've seen the car several times while it was being built and after it was finished. There was a thread here recently about the cost of paint jobs and some azzwipe stated this car has a $30K paint job. Sorry but the body seams are very visible and the metallic could have been laid better by Stevie Wonder.

Jim

Last edited by 1snake; 10-10-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:38 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSmokingTire
Art has been offered $400,000 and turned it down. According to him, it cost more than that to build.
: bs
Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fun video to watch, but I would have loved to have seen more real info on the car. How about under hood shots and some specs. Is that a aluminum old school 427, or an LS7? How about build photos showing the chassis & more info on the suspension than just saying it's "modern".

Old 10-10-2011, 09:54 PM
0TheSmokingTire
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 1snake
: bs
I'm only saying what I was told by him. I think it cost him so much to build, with materials and the cost of man-hours, he laughed he could never make any money on it.

It's hard to find the balance between too long, short, entertaining and informative. It really is a delicate thing to shoot hours of footage, put it together into a video short enough that lots of people will enjoy it, but long enough that it's got some story and substance to it. But always give us feedback and tell us what you think. Our youtube channel is filled with comments and Matt reads every single one. Here's a few more pics from Art's Gran Turismo award.

@ZBRA - Here's some info on the pieces that went into the suspension and chassis. http://www.artmorrison.com/3gvette.php

Art Morrison - Fife, WA
Builder – Art Morrison Performance
1960 "3G" Corvette
Engine – Bill Mitchell all aluminum 427ci SBC, featuring Wilson Manifolds throttle body & fuel rails and F.A.S.T. EFI controller
Chassis - Art Morrison Enterprises Inc. “GT Sport” high performance replacement chassis
Suspension – Front - C5 with AGR 15:1 power rack & pinion, custom AME anti-sway bar and adjustable Strange Engineering coil-overs. Rear - AME triangulated four-bar suspension, custom AME anti-sway bar and adjustable Strange Engineering coil-overs. 9” Rear with Strange Engineering 3rd member and 31-spline axles.
Body - Made into a true roadster.
Side glass removed and doors capped off.
Custom door top trim made to match with the OE trim behind the seats.
Extensively modified windshield frame to remove the notch for the wing window and to fit much better than stock.
Custom inner fender panels were fabricated.
The roll hoops are secured by a cage structure that bolts to the chassis in 4 locations to provide rollover protection.
Fender-top trim was CNC machined to replicate the stock trim.
20+ feet of custom ¼” trim was made for accents in the engine compartment and interior.
5-series BMW headlights were utilized.
Custom carbon-fiber pieces were used extensively in the engine and interior compartments.
Wheels - Boyd Coddington “F09” Wheels and BF Goodrich G-Force T/A tires.
TheCorvette can out corner a Saleen S7 Twin Turbo, out brake a Porsche 911 GT3, and keep pace with a Ferrari F430 on the drag strip.

Glad you guys like the video.

Last edited by TheSmokingTire; 10-10-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:41 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 62 Posts

Cool car, sounds just like mine. I didn't know 60s had wing windows!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:24 AM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Neat car and I for one, liked the video!

Steve
Old 10-11-2011, 08:31 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,541 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I like the car alot and enjoyed the video. Not a big resto-mod fan but that car was well done and looks like a blast to drive
Old 10-11-2011, 08:34 AM
raypilot65
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Love the car, but not the driver/host. Would prefer if it was left more functional, like with windows and a top. I also hate the excess. Build a car for a half million bucks and then beat it to death.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:54 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Tough crowd...
Old 10-11-2011, 09:24 AM
60-vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default love that 3G Corvette

What a video. loved any minute of it.

The 60 Vette is beautiful and modified like that it is a dream car that's for sure.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:26 AM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry but I love the orginals as they were built. If I wanted all that power, handling I could have it in a C6 along with AC, Cruise, power everything and my numbers flashed on my windshield.

Get notified of new replies

To Art Morrison's 1960 "3G" Corvette (Video)

Old 10-11-2011, 09:29 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Love the car and all it's excesses!

Half the fun of building one of these cars is being able to thrash it like this. I can guarantee you that none of my restomods EVER leave the garage without some tire being burnt off of them before they are returned. It is just so much fun when you have this much power available to use. I did not build the cars to cruise, I built them to have FUN with.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 10-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Nick D.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool car and loved the video. Art Morrison makes some great products and then shows how they perform. His 55 Chevy is a testament to that and now the Corvette, keep em coming! Old school design with modern functionality is
Old 10-11-2011, 03:38 PM
0TheSmokingTire
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by raypilot65
Love the car, but not the driver/host. Would prefer if it was left more functional, like with windows and a top. I also hate the excess. Build a car for a half million bucks and then beat it to death.
I personally hate people that spend tons of money and/or time building a total show queen and never push the gas pedal past half throttle. Art jumped in the car and did several hot laps himself, one of which included a spin when he went in too hot. If you build/buy a car that is a dream, why not enjoy it in whatever way you'd like?

I think the host rocks. Whether or not that's because I live with him, he's bigger than me, and he owns some really sharp chef knives is open to interpretation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Art Morrison's 1960 "3G" Corvette (Video)