C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fuel Gauge Problem On '67'

Old 10-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Fitz67Coupe
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge Problem On '67'

With 1/2 tank of fuel, gauge reads 1/8 full.

Have 12 volts to "S" terminal on back of gauge.
Have 12 volts from pink wire at sending unit.
Disconnected tan wire at sending unit - with key on, the gauge reads 1/2 full.
Grounded tan wire - with key on, gauge reads full.
Black ground connector at sending unit reads zero ohms to ground.
New sending unit responds with appropriate resistance when the float is cycled. Zero when float all the way down - 90 ohms with float up.

I'm thinking it's time to replace the gauge. Looking for second (third or fourth) opinion and source for new gauge.

thanks,
Old 10-11-2011, 08:01 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Here's a great article by John Z on troubleshooting the gauge. If you need a new one all of the big parts houses carry them ( LIC, Paragon etc)
http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_...rFuelGauge.pdf

Last edited by 5thvet; 10-11-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: update link
Old 11-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Fitz67Coupe
3rd Gear

Default Still Not Working

New gauge, new sending unit, same problem. 1/4 - 1/2 tank of gas. Power to the gauge and the sending unit. Sending unit provides ohm reading that is delivered to the gauge. Needle reads empty. Tried running dedicated ground from tank to gauge. Needle rotated counter-clockwise, beyond empty. Now what? HELP!!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default It is the way it is

Originally Posted by Fitz67Coupe
New gauge, new sending unit, same problem. 1/4 - 1/2 tank of gas. Power to the gauge and the sending unit. Sending unit provides ohm reading that is delivered to the gauge. Needle reads empty. Tried running dedicated ground from tank to gauge. Needle rotated counter-clockwise, beyond empty. Now what? HELP!!!!
Some have had good luck with new gauges and sending units, but the reallity is that the system 3 wires does not work.

I have been driving my car for 42 years and it is only full at fill up.

Once you leave the station, it is half full, and just a guess from then on.

I just look in the tank or I know how many miles I get on a tank of gas. and just look at the odometer. 1 tank = 240 miles or less , when I get to 200 miles , I know it is time to gas or check tank

jack

sorry for the answer, but it keeps coming up and your new gauge and sending unit just shows what we all know

Look in tank
The following users liked this post:
Steve scott (01-30-2016)
Old 11-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,717 Likes on 803 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

It may take you up to four sender purchases before one works correctly. I was lucky with one out of three. Paragon did the trick.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:16 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,258 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackfit
Some have had good luck with new gauges and sending units, but the reallity is that the system 3 wires does not work.

I have been driving my car for 42 years and it is only full at fill up.

Once you leave the station, it is half full, and just a guess from then on.

I just look in the tank or I know how many miles I get on a tank of gas. and just look at the odometer. 1 tank = 240 miles or less , when I get to 200 miles , I know it is time to gas or check tank

jack

sorry for the answer, but it keeps coming up and your new gauge and sending unit just shows what we all know

Look in tank
Jack-
All due respect. You only paid $2000 for your car back in the 70s. You're ok with no gauge. For those of us who paid $60-70-80 grand for our wheels, we would like the convenience of knowing fuel status from the cockpit. Kapeesch?

Ps my old original sender and gauge work fine. Others can too

Last edited by 65hihp; 11-04-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

These sending units leave a lot to be desired. First you have to be lucky enough to find one that does not leak, then you have to pray it will continue to work properly. Replaced mine about 6 years ago, and got lucky. No leaks, worked fine. Got in the car last week and out of the blue, guage not reading correct I suspect the sending unit resistor has failed. Has anyone had any experience with getting an original unit rebuilt (that service is available) and how did it turn out?? Pilot Dan
Old 11-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
Jack-
All due respect. You only paid $2000 for your car back in the 70s. You're ok with no gauge. For those of us who paid $60-70-80 grand for our wheels, we would like the convenience of knowing fuel status from the cockpit. Kapeesch?

Ps my old original sender and gauge work fine. Others can too
Yes I paid $2000 in 1970 and have spent $60 ,000 over the next 40 years, So your comment as to your spending $60 k for your car seems a little silly and ,,,,,,,,,,well you get my drift.

I am just pointing out the facts about mid year gas gauges.. I just drive and enjoy my car. Sorry your so upset about spending your money.

Good luck

Jack
Old 11-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Fitz67Coupe
3rd Gear

Last gasp before I start logging miles between fills. Brought a dedicated wire from the negative terminal on the battery (thinking that it may a grounding issue) in addition to the dedicated ground wire from the sending unit - same results. Gauge rotated counter-clockwise past empty. I give up!
Old 11-05-2011, 05:20 PM
ed,s64
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I put a new fuel sending unit in this summer,repo style and i guess i was lucky because it reads accurately and doesn,t leak. So i guess mine was made on a wednesday. Ha Ha. Elio

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Gauge Problem On '67'

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Problem On '67'