C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Restoring 65 hubcaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:49 AM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

Default Restoring 65 hubcaps

It's that time where I start the finishing of the restoration and I'm thinking of;

1- restoring the original hubcaps or
2- knock offs...

I like the look of the hubcaps but does anybody know of a source to have the caps restored. Typical dents on edge etc...

Thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 01:13 PM
DanielJ
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 47 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Just a thought on the dent removal. Might try a musical instrument shop. I know they can remove dents from any brass instrument. Might give you a good lead...

On the restoration of your wheel covers, make sure the painted part does not have defined edges if your intent is to go with NCRS judging.

KO's: Lots of choices here. If you want to get correct date coded KH wheels for your car, be sure you know going into this that they are expensive. After market wheels (bolt on and real KO's) are available and in my opinion, look wonderful. It is a plus if you have the correct steel wheels for your car too.
DJ
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
The following users liked this post:
Red67John (04-03-2024)
Old 10-24-2011, 03:58 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

They are stainless steel, so I would think anybody who is an expert in stainless restoration could make them look like new again. Of course, the flash chrome finish would be gone, and you would have to paint the dark gray slots. The trouble is, finding someone willing to take on the job in a timely manner. Most of the good stainless restorers are swamped with work........ plus, I would think it would be fairly expensive, depending how bad they are. If you are not planning on going the NCRS route, why don't you buy the repro 65 caps that are available. I bought a set and they are excellent........about 450 dollars.......a lot cheaper than KO's. Here are two excellent stainless restorers if you want to give them a call......Leo Neal,580-355-9366......Bob Mayle,716-683-4018.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:02 PM
DanielJ
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 47 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Also, you may want to touch base with HHGT from the FGT Forum. He was attempting to find a source to restore his 63 wheel covers.

Hope you have been well.

DJ
Old 10-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Tavish
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anybody has re-sprayed the "frosted" or darker parts on 65 covers. It has gotten spotty on mine, was thinking about making some kind of template to mask off those areas for spraying. I haven't come up with any brilliant way, let alone what that sort of matte color it should be.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:06 PM
jim66vette
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 5 Posts

Default hubcaps

I just painted my 66 caps this weekend. I thought about some type of template, but in the end, just masked them off with the blue tape. It took a while to mask, but they came out great. I ended up getting a can of hubcap paint from Year One, that I think they get from Zip Corvettes. I read somewhere where someone else had used the Zip paint with success and went the same route. It was easier to do than I thought. I also replaced the center caps with some advice from some folks on this forum. I did not do anything regarding chrome, but my hupcaps didn't have any dents to start with. I am going from repro knockoffs to hubcaps as I like the look as well. Jim
Old 10-24-2011, 06:47 PM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Crowd Plow For Now

Originally Posted by DanielJ
Also, you may want to touch base with HHGT from the FGT Forum. He was attempting to find a source to restore his 63 wheel covers.

Hope you have been well.

DJ
Thanks DJ - Just saw your PICS.... I'll give Sam a holler...... Always like ticking him off.........

Last edited by MAD IN NC; 10-24-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Well I have a buffing wheel and can show you how to remove the dents it's really not that hard. It's just time consuming... When you going to come see me again? LOL....

David..
Old 10-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Aflyer
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Ok, here is another thought for you to consider. I have a brother-in-law who has been with Dent Wizard for a long time. I watched him take 3 dents out of a used car I bought, obviously not a Corvette, it was a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
The end result is that I could not find those dents when he was done and it took him about an hour with me just removing the door panels, and him doing all the real work.
So why am I telling you this? I think their process would work on stainless hubcaps for the Corvette. I have two sets in my garage for the 65, and I am going to give him one to try it.
Do you have a Dent Wizard in your neighborhood??
George
Old 10-25-2011, 02:43 PM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Crowd Plow For Now

Originally Posted by Hitch
Well I have a buffing wheel and can show you how to remove the dents it's really not that hard. It's just time consuming... When you going to come see me again? LOL....

David..
soon - when the beer goes on sale I'll stop over.......
Old 10-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I would like to see a 65 with hubcaps, that should look good. I've only seen the knock offs, and wheel covers.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by MAD IN NC
soon - when the beer goes on sale I'll stop over.......
It's starting to get cold so bourbon is the word of the day.. lol...

Just let me know man I'm home a lot more than before with the new job...

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Restoring 65 hubcaps

Quick Reply: Restoring 65 hubcaps