C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help 2004 Crate LS1 Long Block ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 04:05 PM
hokie04
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help 2004 Crate LS1 Long Block ??

I need some advice what do I have to worry about buying a 2004 LS1 long block crate motor that has been laying around for seven years?

Estimate on how much will it cost me to build this block up to efi, ecm, wiring, starter, etc? Block was puchased from a GM dealer.

And is $2500 a reasonable price?

Thanks

Richard
Old 10-28-2011, 04:19 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

well, to just build my 'home-made' EFI system, not counting the engine, it would cost $5000 to $7000.

if you use junkyard OEM EFI parts you can probably get by cheaper, and it seems like used TPI systems are a 'dime-a-dozen' on ebay.

depending how the engine was stored, it may be fine; may just be a case of pulling the pan to look at the bearing and filling the cylinder with WD40 and let them soak a while before turning the engine over. my old LT1 engine sat (in the car) for 17 years without being started/turned over and it was fine.

of course you know just doing the stuff necessary to put in an LS engine in your car will get pricey.
Bill
Old 10-28-2011, 05:28 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

No, in my opinion, it is not a good buy. You can find a complete, brand new engine for about $5K. Why would you want to mess with a 7 year old old, unknown motor with no warranty? You could easily end up with more in the engine than a brand new one. The only way I would consider a LS1 over a LS3, would be to replace an existing one. The latest generation engines use a smaller computer, and are way better foundations for a performance application. You can pick up a complete low mileage pullout engine, trans, computer, harness, and all the other accessories that can really run the price up on such drivetrains, for a lot less than you could ever put one together for.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 10-28-2011, 10:00 PM
hokie04
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your knowledge on this. I was afraid of the long block approach and the fact that it had been laying around since 2004 didn't make me feel very good.

Everytime I go to a Corvette show I get the resto fever. I went to Pigeon Forge, TN last weekend and looked at the frames and stuff.

Last Winter it was Kissimmee so I keep waffling back and forth.

Thanks Again

Richard

Get notified of new replies

To Help 2004 Crate LS1 Long Block ??

Quick Reply: Help 2004 Crate LS1 Long Block ??