C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rear axle install into housing and breather questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:23 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Rear axle install into housing and breather questions + disc conversion problems

Hi all,

A few question re. rear axle as I'm about to put mine back together again. 1960 solid axle
The workshop manual goes into great detail about the diff centre and then just says put the axle back in ............ no mention of how.

I have the correct new bearing and seal kit (I think I have the seal kit), I just looked in the catalogue as I was wondering what stops the gear oil from just running out of an open bearing.

Question 1: does the seal go in the axle housing then followed by the bearing (and solid retainer ring already on the axle with the cover plate and paper gasket) or does the seal go on after the bearing? In essence between the bearing and backing plate on the axle assembly.

Question 2: is the axle bearing lubricated by diff oil (eventually finding its way out from the diff centre) or is this bearing packed with grease?

Question 3: the bearing cover has a vent/drain groove pressed in to it (approx 3/8") which goes through a small hole (1/8") in the brake backing plate, is this to vent gear oil pressure or is it just for the bearing? The axle housing has its own little vent so I'm assuming its for the bearing! Also the hole in which the axle passes through on this cover plate is larger than the axle diameter with no seal here ... why have this vent?

Question 4: I'm converting to rear discs so this bearing backing plate vent / drain hole (3/8") is now almost completely exposed to the atmosphere (and dirt and water/moisture), should I fill in this pressed groove in the cover plate with silicone or at least partially restrict its size?

Question 5: I was considering fixing with silicone a piece of 1/4 polyethylene or rubber flexible hose into this pressed groove and letting it dangle down once installed / re-assembled ...........thoughts on this?

Question 6: on the bearing cover plate, I assume it is a vent and faces up and not a drain that faces downward? It would also make sense that it was a drain as without it any oil would build up and then make its way out the centre hole of the cover plate onto the drum brake shoes under normal circumstances (but I'm going discs so may be less applicable). I'm think more and more that it is a drain!!

Question 7: regarding assembly, press bearing on to the axle then press heated retainer ring in position. I was going to heat the ring up in the oven (in the kitchen .... while the boss is out) to max heat to help get it on.......... good idea or makes no difference to fitting process?

Hmmm, many questions which kept me awake last night!!

I need to find these bearing seals and I think I will position the bearing cover so that the groove faces downward and acts as a (unrestricted) drain!!

Thanks in advance for your replies

Last edited by mickatbp; 11-05-2011 at 07:37 AM. Reason: add more information to title
Old 11-04-2011, 07:45 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm looking at the rear outer wheel bearing with the double o-ring (on outer race - correct for 1960 solid axle) and between the inner and outer race on one side is a standard type bearing dust seal but on the other side is a rubber type seal (with the coil spring etc) perhaps this is the seal I was referring to earlier .... it is actually part of the bearing!!. I assume this rubber type seal is to stop the diff oil from getting out of the housing but which way does it face ........... I assume the rubber seal is on the inner side and the bearing is sealed with grease ...... so being on the inner side would stop the grease getting washed out by diff oil???

I know you are thinking why didn't I just take note when I removed the old bearing etc but the wrong axle housing was fitted (completely different) so I have no term of reference now that I am using the correct housing!

Last edited by mickatbp; 11-04-2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: more information required
Old 11-04-2011, 10:23 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

This is typical of the replacement bearings for 58-62 Vettes and 58-64 pass cars. Both sides of the bearing is shown.
The TOP picture is the side of the bearing that goes to the outside.

Tom Parsons
Old 11-04-2011, 10:41 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Tom, that's what I thought. Now what about the groove that is pressed into the bearing retainer plate .............. facing up (what I believe to be correct) or facing down ......... leave it open or blank it off (given that it just looks like a dust/dirt/grime collection funnel now)?
Old 11-04-2011, 11:34 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by mickatbp
Thanks Tom, that's what I thought. Now what about the groove that is pressed into the bearing retainer plate .............. facing up (what I believe to be correct) or facing down ......... leave it open or blank it off (given that it just looks like a dust/dirt/grime collection funnel now)?
It aims down, and is a drain on the inside surface (surface away from the brakes) of the brake backing plate in case of a seal leak, so that the lube does not get on the brakes. And do not block it off........

And as for pressing on the retainer, I would just take it to a shop that has a big enough press.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 11-04-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:37 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Yep, it goes down. I replied to that in your PM.

Tom Parsons
Old 11-05-2011, 04:06 AM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Tom and Plasticman, all installed as suggested by you guys. Always goods to make sure before the point of no return. Sorry Tom, Just read your reply on the thread and didn't look at the PM.

Crap ............. I tell you I've tried every way possible and I just can't get this rear disc conversion to fit properly; the caliper either interfers with the rear spring or the park brake mechanism on the caliper hits thestrut rod mount on the axle housing. Also looks like the cables and hydraulic lines are too short as well. So much for a 'conversion kit'!!
Old 11-05-2011, 05:14 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Thanks Tom and Plasticman, all installed as suggested by you guys. Always goods to make sure before the point of no return. Sorry Tom, Just read your reply on the thread and didn't look at the PM.

Crap ............. I tell you I've tried every way possible and I just can't get this rear disc conversion to fit properly; the caliper either interfers with the rear spring or the park brake mechanism on the caliper hits thestrut rod mount on the axle housing. Also looks like the cables and hydraulic lines are too short as well. So much for a 'conversion kit'!!
i had to modify my brackets as the way it originally mounted it hit the radius rod bracket on the axle.

initially i just Bubba bent the existing steel brake lines around to connect to the rubber lines, but i eventually ended up fabricating all new steel lines when i ran all new brake lines for the dual m/c installation.

Bill
Old 11-05-2011, 07:03 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Well, it looks pretty good to me now. BUT, that's just part of working on these old cars!

Tom Parsons
Old 11-05-2011, 08:27 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

check your PM
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Rear axle install into housing and breather questions

Quick Reply: Rear axle install into housing and breather questions