C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Clutch Cross Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Pierre
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default C1 Clutch Cross Shaft

Anybody ever installed a zerk fitting in their C1 clutch cross shaft?

When I restored my ’57, the cross shaft stud on the frame brackets had flat spots on it and I had to fix the stud before I put it back together. I would like to avoid this problem again and I am thinking of installing a zerk fitting somewhere in the shaft to keep it lubricated.

I think C2’s have a factory installed zerk fitting on their cross shaft, probably because of problems with C1’s.

Pierre
Old 11-05-2011, 08:34 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Pierre all the info you seek is in this thread
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-fittting.html
Old 11-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Its a common mod to the bellcrank....its just that the material its made out of is hard as the dickens to drill through. Some put a grooved wooden dowel in the shaft so that the grease put in the zerk flows to each end and you don't have to fill the whole dang thing with lube.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:46 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Its a common mod to the bellcrank....its just that the material its made out of is hard as the dickens to drill through. Some put a grooved wooden dowel in the shaft so that the grease put in the Zerk flows to each end and you don't have to fill the whole dang thing with lube.
Yes I have put in a Zerk with a grooved dowel. I think the metal is not metal but Kryptonite from the planet Krypton.

Don' even think of drilling it while in the car, just isn't going to happen.
Attached Images  

Last edited by stratplus; 11-07-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:28 AM
Pierre
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Great info, this is what I was looking for.

Pierre
Old 11-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I did it on mine PRIOR to installation. Had to go to a machine shop and he clamped it in a drill press. No way you can do it any other way.

I didn't use the wooden dowel thingy, didn't know about it. Next time I take the shaft off, I'll do the dowel thing. That empty shaft takes a LOT of grease.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Well when my chassis side ball stud went bad and I had to get the new one (and the mount) welded on I took out the Z-bar so many times I got to where I could do it in about 1-1/2 minutes seconds (Mike Coletta) was timing me. So I'll just pop it off and grease it up when I think it needs it.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:53 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve59
I did it on mine PRIOR to installation. Had to go to a machine shop and he clamped it in a drill press. No way you can do it any other way.

I didn't use the wooden dowel thingy, didn't know about it. Next time I take the shaft off, I'll do the dowel thing. That empty shaft takes a LOT of grease.
Why bother with the dowel spacer ? - once you fill it it's good for life !
Even if you never put another pump of grease into it !
Old 11-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't know how good today's modern grease is or its life expectancy. I have seen old grease that has been used in my car and in parts that I've purchased, that has turned into the consistency of a wax or bar of soap. Don't know if that would lube anything. So an occasional shot of new grease would be warranted. If you have to take the bar off for any reason, might as well change the grease/use the dowel thingy if you want to.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Greases tend to separate into their separate oil and soap (thickener) components due to heat. Modern greases are better in this regard, but still some some separation will occur.

Also, when a grease is contaminated due to external dust / grit, or internally from metal on metal wear particles (galling, etc.), it is still a very good idea to flush out the old grease with fresh grease.

GM did not add that Zerk fitting on the later cars for no good reason........

When I grease the front end, it is easy to just add a couple of pumps to the Zerk on the cross shaft. What is another few pumps over the 1000 or so (yes, that is an exaggeration) that the rest of the front end has already demanded......

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 11-06-2011 at 11:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Clutch Cross Shaft

Quick Reply: C1 Clutch Cross Shaft