C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Valve Cover Decals

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Default Valve Cover Decals

Tried but unsuccessful in putting the 365 HP decals on my Valve Covers.

Soaked the decals in warm water with a couple drops of detergent in a bowl until the decals could slide off the paper.

Peeled back the top of the paper and attached the decal to the valve cover, and then tried to slide the paper from under the decal. Unfortunately, the decal was so thin, it ripped when I tried to slide the paper out.

Are there some vendors which sell stronger/thicker decals, or am I using the wrong procedure to attach the decals?

Thanks
Old 11-20-2011, 07:13 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Probably one of two things happened. I would think that you either got an old set of decals, or didn't leave them soak long enough.

I always like to let decals soak until they just about float off the paper, by them self.

If the decals were old, and had been sitting around, they dry out and become brittle (for lack of a better description).

One thing that does help when installing them, is "decal setting solution". It probably wouldn't help with your problem, but it does make it easier to install decals. What it does is soften up the decal, so that it lays down better, on the surface. It also eliminates problems like bubbles and silvering. You can buy it at most hobby shops. The brand I like is Solvaset, but there are others.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks. Yes they were a couple of years old.

What is the recommended method of transferring from the paper backing to the valve cover?
Old 11-20-2011, 10:45 PM
project63
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

You are on the right track. Soak the decals in warm soapy water. Use a good squeeze of dish soap here, not a few drops. As mentioned, when you can slip the decal sideways off the paper with ease, it's ready to transfer to the valve cover.

Be sure to liberally wet the valve cover with the same soapy water and then transfer the decal off the paper to the wet valve cover. Slide it to where you want it and begin to gently dawb it dry with a paper towel.

This works just like the decals used back in the model car days of your youth...

tc
Old 11-21-2011, 08:58 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,558 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Ralph, It's been a while since I put my 350 horse decals on but I think they are available with the peel and stick, self adhesive type. Alot easier.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:32 AM
raypilot65
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine were peel and stick also. What was used in the factory?
Old 11-21-2011, 10:57 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Originally Posted by raypilot65
Mine were peel and stick also. What was used in the factory?
The factory used water soluble decals on the valve covers of all 56-66 Corvettes, to indicate the horsepower.

High horse cars, with aluminum covers, only got the horsepower decals.

Low horse 62 and early 63's (250 & 300hp), used painted stamped steel covers, with an embossed "327 Turbo-Fire" plate on top of the cover and the horsepower decal, on the side.

For late 63-early 66 low horse engines, the embossed plate was replaced with a crack & peel gold foil "327 Turbo-Fire" label. The horsepower decals on the side continued to be decals.

The late 66 300 horse, used a single decal on the top of the painted valve cover, that was marked with both "327 Turbo-Fire" and "300 Horsepower". Eliminating the need for 2 decals.

Starting with 67 small blocks, a crack and peel label, that included the cubic inches and horsepower, was installed on the air cleaner. This was in place of the markings, previously used on the valve covers. There were no labels used to identify the engines, after 1971.

Big blocks used the crack & peel air cleaner labels, from the time of their introduction in 65, through 1971.

The crack & peel foil valve cover horsepower labels are replacements, and were never used by Chevrolet.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:05 AM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
The factory used water soluble decals on the valve covers of all 56-66 Corvettes, to indicate the horsepower.

Low horse 62 and early 63's (250 & 300hp), used painted stamped steel covers, with an embossed "327 Turbo-Fire" plate on top of the cover and the horsepower decal, on the side.

For late 63-early 66 low horse engines, the embossed plate was replaced with a crack & peel gold foil "327 Turbo-Fire" label. The horsepower decals on the side continued to be decals.

The late 66 300 horse, used a single decal on the top of the painted valve cover, that was marked with both "327 Turbo-Fire" and "300 Horsepower". Eliminating the need for 2 decals.

Starting with 67 small blocks, a crack and peel label, that included the cubic inches and horsepower, was installed on the air cleaner. This was in place of the markings, previously used on the valve covers. There were no labels used to identify the engines, after 1971.

Big blocks used the crack & peel air cleaner labels, from the time of their introduction in 65, through 1971.

The crack & peel foil valve cover horsepower labels are replacements, and were never used by Chevrolet.
Great summary. That's worth saving, thanks.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Took advantage of the warm New England weather and attached the decals.

The key for my install was letting the decals soak for 5+ minutes in warm water with a lot of detergent.

Also had fresh decals.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I just received a set of "Peel and Stick" decals (backup plan).

Unfortunately, these decals do not have the Printer in U.S.A. which is on the original decal.

Just a warning for those going for NCRS judging.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:40 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
I just received a set of "Peel and Stick" decals (backup plan).

Unfortunately, these decals do not have the Printer in U.S.A. which is on the original decal.

Just a warning for those going for NCRS judging.
The peel-and-stick decals (stickers) are easier to install and will last a LOT longer, but they'll get a minor "Configuration" deduction in judging, as they were never used in production.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:34 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Did you put the 230 horse stickers on the valve covers? thats what I used.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:39 AM
ecke
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good information! Do you know when they started to add the engine plant sticker and the drive line configuration sticker to the valve covers?
Old 02-13-2016, 05:51 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by ecke
Good information! Do you know when they started to add the engine plant sticker and the drive line configuration sticker to the valve covers?
Not all of it....the 63 250hp motor did NOT receive HP decals on the valve cover
Old 02-13-2016, 07:21 AM
ecke
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Not all of it....the 63 250hp motor did NOT receive HP decals on the valve cover
No, I was talking about the sticker that they put on front of the right hand valve cover that said "Build by the #1 team..."

http://www.zip-corvette.com/63-67-c2...l-flint-1.html

And the one on the back och the same cover that indicated which options the engine came with. In my case "HR = 327ci, 300HP, automat, air injection"

http://www.zip-corvette.com/63-67-c2...-decal-hr.html

I think that the Engine Plant sticker was only 67 but the option sticker was also on 66. I do not know when, during 66 it was introduced though.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:34 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

And this is a 4 and a half year old post. I'm pretty sure the thinking was then that 250 horse engines did get HP decals. I may be wrong on this, but I thought that it was only in the last two years or so, that the hobby decided that 250's didn't get the decals?

I knew a very original 62 Sateen Silver 250 horse Powerglide car, that had the decals. I first saw the car in 71, when I was pumping gas in high school. The owner use to stop in on Friday nights, and fill up on his way to his beach house in Ocean City NJ. Being a snotty nosed kid, I remember thinking that the El Camino I had back then, had more horsepower than his Corvette. Shortly after buying my 62 in 76, I met the owner of the silver car, and eventually became friends with him. He bought the car in 63, with 5000 miles on it, and owned it until about 10 years ago, when he passed away.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:40 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I had the HP decals on the valve covers on my 63 250hp for a couple of years...on the advice of folks here prior to judging I removed them. Who knows if they were ever factory Corvette-applied? Car manufacturers back then didn't often skip a chance to add some bling to the engine bay -- and decals are cheap...

I usually troll around Noland's C2 Ref. Guide when issues like this arise -- just to see if there are any 'back in the day' examples.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-13-2016 at 07:42 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve Cover Decals

Old 02-13-2016, 07:44 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Originally Posted by ecke
No, I was talking about the sticker that they put on front of the right hand valve cover that said "Build by the #1 team..."

http://www.zip-corvette.com/63-67-c2...l-flint-1.html

And the one on the back och the same cover that indicated which options the engine came with. In my case "HR = 327ci, 300HP, automat, air injection"

http://www.zip-corvette.com/63-67-c2...-decal-hr.html

I think that the Engine Plant sticker was only 67 but the option sticker was also on 66. I do not know when, during 66 it was introduced though.
The "Flint #1 Team" labels were only used on the front of the right side valve covers, of 67 small blocks.

The "Tonawanda #1 Team" labels were used on the top of the right side valve covers, on 67-70 big blacks.

The broadcast code, or engine suffix code, labels were installed on the back of valve covers starting in 66. Early ones were yellow with 2 or 3 large black letters on them. Later in the 70's, they were replaced with a white label, that had smaller black letters and a bar code.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:48 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

I usually troll around Noland's C2 Ref. Guide when issues like this arise -- just to see if there are any 'back in the day' examples.
I haven't looked at mine recently, but I think Noland's book has something in there about 63 300 horse engines, not having an HP decal either?
Old 02-13-2016, 08:38 AM
ecke
Instructor

The "Flint #1 Team" labels were only used on the front of the right side valve covers, of 67 small blocks.

The "Tonawanda #1 Team" labels were used on the top of the right side valve covers, on 67-70 big blacks.

The broadcast code, or engine suffix code, labels were installed on the back of valve covers starting in 66. Early ones were yellow with 2 or 3 large black letters on them. Later in the 70's, they were replaced with a white label, that had smaller black letters and a bar code.
So, the engine suffix code should be present on all 66 engines then, not just the later ones?

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Decals