C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Looking for best deal on Borgeson

Old 11-23-2011, 08:10 AM
sfsvettes
BubbaHut
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Looking for best deal on Borgeson

I have heard so many good things about the borgeson steering box conversion I want to try it on my C2.
Does anyone know who has the best deal on these kits.???
Thanks
Old 11-23-2011, 09:59 AM
gschaerer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Deal

Look into Summit Racing. Carged me $940.00 delivered. Good deal and great product. Loved the kit and totally satisfied.

George Schaerer
'66 SBC L-79 Vert
Old 11-23-2011, 12:55 PM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Mine came from Summit as well. All I got was the box as I had a pump and brackets. Got the pulley for the pump from Willcox and a local place made up the hoses for me. Works good. I did NOT go to the inside holes for the tie rods. In my opinion, the steering is PLENTY fast in the outside holes. Before i had it aligned, it was almost "twitchie" but I was used to the armstrong steering required with no power assist. Now that I'm used to it, I like it a lot. MUCH better than no power.

Steve
Old 11-23-2011, 01:13 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Look into Summit Racing. Charged me $940.00 delivered. Good deal and great product. Loved the kit and totally satisfied.

ditto...best mod yet! Summit was the best price 2 years ago when i got mine Rob
Old 11-23-2011, 02:58 PM
davewh
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got one from Ecklers when they had a 15% off sale. that was about this time last year.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:35 PM
FLORIDA
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

Do you have any p/n's for these kits?
Old 11-23-2011, 05:45 PM
davewh
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to borgeson.com and you will find what you need.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:38 PM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

sjsvettes,

I just put the Borgeson box in my '65 with a BB.

First is it a BB or SB. The reason I ask is because I notice the BB hood on your car.

Here is my BB advice: Buy the steering box from Borgeson or whoever is selling it the cheapest.
You will need the BB power steering brackets you can get from any corvette supplier (sold as kit for less); a power steering pump (Napa is good); dual pulley for pump (vette supplier); 2 belts, alternator and power steer. pump; have 2 hoses built locally if you can. You may also have to change your alt. pulley because you need to space it out 1 groove from the original.

If you have a SB buy the kit from Borgeson or Summit.

Here's a before pic with manual steering and only 2 brackets.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here's a finished pic.
[IMG][/IMG]

one more.
[IMG][/IMG]

last one.
[IMG][/IMG]

Hope this helps or if you need more info let me know and I'll help as best as I can. I just finished this install last week. So it's still fairly fresh in my head.

65-StingRay
Old 11-25-2011, 06:07 AM
FLORIDA
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

My 65 is current a SB with the BB hood. I plan to buy the steering box separate and peice the rest together instead of a kit. I need more pulleys and I want to add A/C. BB may be in the future. What did you use on your aternator pulley?
Old 11-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

65 StingRay,

Did you have to cut the steering column shaft?
Old 11-25-2011, 12:04 PM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FLORIDA
My 65 is current a SB with the BB hood. I plan to buy the steering box separate and peice the rest together instead of a kit. I need more pulleys and I want to add A/C. BB may be in the future. What did you use on your aternator pulley?
I don't have a good picture but if you go to 'Corvette Central' website and type this number into the search window - #302011 you will see the BB pulley.

65-StingRay
Old 11-25-2011, 12:14 PM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paul 74
65 StingRay,

Did you have to cut the steering column shaft?
Paul, yes I did have to cut on mine, about 2 & 3/4 inches off. Others have cut less or maybe a little more. As long as there is some spline length for the rag joint to anchor to it will work out fine.

before cutting
[IMG][/IMG]

after cutting
[IMG][/IMG]

65-StingRay
Old 11-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

I appreciate that reply and the pics. This is the part of the conversion that worries me or I would have done it on my 1974 L-48 last summer. With a collapsible steering column (1967-) it seems that one can just pound the shaft in toward the cockpit; but not too far as it won't come back out. It might be easier just to cut. But I have not screwed up the nerve to do this yet. Thanks for the response.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:12 PM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Paul,

I have a '67 and have been COMPLETELY through the column. If you go too far in, it will slide back out. The internal shaft just telescopes so once you start it sliding in, it will move in or out without great difficulty. When I put the Borgeson in my '67, I didn't even need a hammer to move it in. Just loosened the clamp on the bottom and slid the shaft up into the column and then pushed the retainer up to preload the bottom bearing and tightened the clamp. That's all there was to it.

Steve
Old 11-27-2011, 12:30 PM
sfsvettes
BubbaHut
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default BB indeed

Yes,
Mine is a BB too. I actually have factory style PS I added several years ago. So I have the pump and brackets in pace. I am going to try it on both my SB car & the BB too. Just looking for a little better deal if I can find one.
I am sure I will contact you again once I get it to ask a few questions.
Thanks
Scott

Originally Posted by 65-StingRay
sjsvettes,

I just put the Borgeson box in my '65 with a BB.

First is it a BB or SB. The reason I ask is because I notice the BB hood on your car.

Here is my BB advice: Buy the steering box from Borgeson or whoever is selling it the cheapest.
You will need the BB power steering brackets you can get from any corvette supplier (sold as kit for less); a power steering pump (Napa is good); dual pulley for pump (vette supplier); 2 belts, alternator and power steer. pump; have 2 hoses built locally if you can. You may also have to change your alt. pulley because you need to space it out 1 groove from the original.

If you have a SB buy the kit from Borgeson or Summit.

Here's a before pic with manual steering and only 2 brackets.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here's a finished pic.
[IMG][/IMG]

one more.
[IMG][/IMG]

last one.
[IMG][/IMG]

Hope this helps or if you need more info let me know and I'll help as best as I can. I just finished this install last week. So it's still fairly fresh in my head.

65-StingRay
Old 11-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 67*427
Paul,

I have a '67 and have been COMPLETELY through the column. If you go too far in, it will slide back out. The internal shaft just telescopes so once you start it sliding in, it will move in or out without great difficulty. When I put the Borgeson in my '67, I didn't even need a hammer to move it in. Just loosened the clamp on the bottom and slid the shaft up into the column and then pushed the retainer up to preload the bottom bearing and tightened the clamp. That's all there was to it.

Steve
I appreciate that reply. Sounds a little easier than I thought. I'm now thinking. Is an alignment needed afterwards?

Last edited by Paul L; 11-27-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:50 PM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Chances are that the Pitman arm will not fit the new Borgeson box in exactly the same "clock" position as the old box so you will need to have the toe in reset. Most have found that because of the "lightness" of the Borgeson power steering, more caster is a good thing. I had them put in all the caster they could with my stock control arms and offset control arm pivot shafts. The bottom line of that is that you will probably want to have it aligned.

Let me know if I can help anymore,

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for best deal on Borgeson

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for best deal on Borgeson