C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

542” Tri-Power motor, cast iron exh.manifolds – 671.05 rwhp through mufflers!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 09:10 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

back in the day (1970) when I had my first vette..a 67 427/435 coupe....I never, ever, ever lost a race both on street and at local track to a L-72 with same gears, I also never had a problem tuning the tri power, it is like fuel injection in older cars, many threw away/dumped for single 4 since they didn't know how or didn't care to learn how to tune...my 3 cents.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:34 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 202 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
Awesome work as usual Steve! Your meticulous attention to details has paid off again! I just can't believe those power
numbers through stock exhaust manifolds

Guys, I have heard this car on the dyno and at idle it sounds as stock as they come for a factory solid lifter motor I would never have believed that this amount of power could be had with such a small cam and stock-like exhaust.
Thanks, John! I couldn't be happier. For everyones information, John is the one that designed the headers on my 632" car and gave me some ideas on these exhaust manifolds. Now if he could only get his LS7 done for his Monte Carlo.

Originally Posted by tjstarduster
Are those iron heads? Does it have a solid roller? Great power from the good ole big block chevy! That'll put a scare into a hemi Roadrunner! I love my 496 but I know it"s not pulling that much hp. Great work! tjs
The heads are aluminum. Yes, it has a solid roller. Thanks!

Originally Posted by AZDoug
What compression ratio?

Doug
A little over 11:1.

Originally Posted by LT1driver
back in the day (1970) when I had my first vette..a 67 427/435 coupe....I never, ever, ever lost a race both on street and at local track to a L-72 with same gears, I also never had a problem tuning the tri power, it is like fuel injection in older cars, many threw away/dumped for single 4 since they didn't know how or didn't care to learn how to tune...my 3 cents.
I was one of those guys that didn't know how. My first tri-power was on a 1968 Corvette I had. It ran like absolute crap. Someone had converted it to a mechanical linkage and it had one of those aftermarket air cleaners with an air filter that was maybe 1/2" high. It's all I could afford at the time. I was 20. I couldn't get the tri-power off fast enough and practically gave it away. Looking back now I am sure it didn't have enough space above the bowl vents - and probably a number of other issues.

Steve
Old 11-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

you can get the 3 stock carbs to run pretty good

11.58 @ 122.16
Old 11-27-2011, 02:38 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

very nice Donny, I love the white, my 1st 70 454/390 coupe was white and put a tri power on it in 73, only paid $100 for it complete...lol, those were the days.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:24 AM
ML67
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 43 Posts

Steve, this is simply sublime! I don't get on the forum much anymore, and would've missed this if Jim hadn't sent me the link. I think I'll be visiting more often again...

This is the best example of a stock appearing car making ridiculous power I've seen yet. You have me 2nd guessing getting rid of the Tripower and going for the L88 look -- this is far more impressive particularly given the cast iron exhaust manifolds. As has become your MO, you've taken a concept and developed and refined it to a level that quite frankly sets a new standard. If I didn't already know you, and hadn't seen any of your previous exploits, I might question these results... all I can say is wow!

Thanks for posting and take care,

Mark

PS I have MT 255/60-15 drag radials on 7" rally wheels and traction remains poor, although certainly better than standard radials. I'm toying w/ the idea of installing the wide body rear quarters to allow a 275/60-15 on an 8" wheel, but that project will have to await another day.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:45 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Donny Brass
you can get the 3 stock carbs to run pretty good

11.58 @ 122.16
That is flat impressive! These guys blow me away!

Steve
Old 11-27-2011, 09:05 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ML67
Steve, this is simply sublime! I don't get on the forum much anymore, and would've missed this if Jim hadn't sent me the link. I think I'll be visiting more often again...

This is the best example of a stock appearing car making ridiculous power I've seen yet. You have me 2nd guessing getting rid of the Tripower and going for the L88 look -- this is far more impressive particularly given the cast iron exhaust manifolds. As has become your MO, you've taken a concept and developed and refined it to a level that quite frankly sets a new standard. If I didn't already know you, and hadn't seen any of your previous exploits, I might question these results... all I can say is wow!

Thanks for posting and take care,

Mark

PS I have MT 255/60-15 drag radials on 7" rally wheels and traction remains poor, although certainly better than standard radials. I'm toying w/ the idea of installing the wide body rear quarters to allow a 275/60-15 on an 8" wheel, but that project will have to await another day.
Mark it is good to hear from you!! Your comments are much appreciated. I'm not sure if I posted this or not but I actually started working on this deal in February of 2010. Starting in June of this year(2011) I wasn't as far along as I would have liked so I started working on it 7 days a week for a minimum of 8 hours a day. In fact, I am still on that schedule! This is so much of a bigger project than I ever imagined. NOTHING on this deal has gone smoothly! That being said, I would do this all over again if I had the chance.

As far as the tires, boy that is a bummer. One of the thoughts I've had recently is to run a 28x9-15 drag slick instead of the M/T drag radials. I would have to think that they would bite a whole lot better.

By the way, I thoroughly cleaned and refurbished those K&N filters you gave me. I tried the tallest one (2-1/2" tall) vs. the factory setup. The K&N was worth 1.56 rwhp and .32 rwtq. Very disappointing but enlightening. I tried so many different things on this deal that I could write a book - well maybe not but you get the idea.

Steve
Old 11-27-2011, 11:56 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 632C2
Mark it is good to hear from you!! Your comments are much appreciated. I'm not sure if I posted this or not but I actually started working on this deal in February of 2010. Starting in June of this year(2011) I wasn't as far along as I would have liked so I started working on it 7 days a week for a minimum of 8 hours a day. In fact, I am still on that schedule! This is so much of a bigger project than I ever imagined. NOTHING on this deal has gone smoothly! That being said, I would do this all over again if I had the chance.

As far as the tires, boy that is a bummer. One of the thoughts I've had recently is to run a 28x9-15 drag slick instead of the M/T drag radials. I would have to think that they would bite a whole lot better.

By the way, I thoroughly cleaned and refurbished those K&N filters you gave me. I tried the tallest one (2-1/2" tall) vs. the factory setup. The K&N was worth 1.56 rwhp and .32 rwtq. Very disappointing but enlightening. I tried so many different things on this deal that I could write a book - well maybe not but you get the idea.

Steve
In my personal experience with my blown, injected car, Drag radials are only some what better than super high performance street tires. I can blow the drag radials off to the point of no acceleration in first or second gear simply by stepping on the gas. Real slicks like M/T ET drag or ET streets are light years ahead for traction. ET streets are DOT approved, although not much tread for the rain. My drag radials are 12" wide, my ET Streets are 10" wide. Jim
Old 11-29-2011, 11:41 AM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vetrod62
In my personal experience with my blown, injected car, Drag radials are only some what better than super high performance street tires. I can blow the drag radials off to the point of no acceleration in first or second gear simply by stepping on the gas. Real slicks like M/T ET drag or ET streets are light years ahead for traction. ET streets are DOT approved, although not much tread for the rain. My drag radials are 12" wide, my ET Streets are 10" wide. Jim
This is good info. Whose drag radials are you using? I used a set of Mickey Thompson ET street radials P235/60R15 on this car when it had the 383 in it. At the track they produced a 1.71 60 foot time.

I was hoping the the next size up P255/60R15 might be the way to go for this new deal but now I am having second thoughts. I am now considering the Goodyear 28.0x9.0-15. Unfortunately, you can't get much tire under this car.

Steve
Old 11-30-2011, 06:58 AM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Steve,

Once again your work is just awesome Outstanding power, all while in sheeps clothing...if you can even consider a BBC with Tri-power sheeps clothing

Sorry for the last minute visit notice the other day, but I never know where I'll be one minute to the next...hope to get up with you on my next visit Be sure to post some vids of that monster!!

R/
Jeff
Old 12-01-2011, 01:16 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1coolC2
Steve,

Once again your work is just awesome Outstanding power, all while in sheeps clothing...if you can even consider a BBC with Tri-power sheeps clothing

Sorry for the last minute visit notice the other day, but I never know where I'll be one minute to the next...hope to get up with you on my next visit Be sure to post some vids of that monster!!

R/
Jeff
Thanks, Jeff. In today's world, this car is definitely in sheeps clothing. I would venture to say that when I pop the hood on this car at the drag stip, most people won't even give it a second glance. They will probably think it's a nicely restored car that might be able to run in the high 13's on a good day. Yah, we'll see about that.

As hard as your car runs, I'll bet no one would ever think you have a tri-power motor under the hood. BTW, 600 rwhp out of your car is just awesome to me! And running 10's on street tires is even more awesome! BTW, what size and type of tire are you using to get those outstanding times?

I was absolutely shocked to hear from you the other night and just sick that I couldn't make it. Typically I can move stuff around but you caught me on a bad night. Oh well, hopefully there will be a next time.

Steve
Old 12-03-2011, 09:02 AM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 632C2
Thanks, Jeff. In today's world, this car is definitely in sheeps clothing. I would venture to say that when I pop the hood on this car at the drag stip, most people won't even give it a second glance. They will probably think it's a nicely restored car that might be able to run in the high 13's on a good day. Yah, we'll see about that.

As hard as your car runs, I'll bet no one would ever think you have a tri-power motor under the hood. BTW, 600 rwhp out of your car is just awesome to me! And running 10's on street tires is even more awesome! BTW, what size and type of tire are you using to get those outstanding times?

I was absolutely shocked to hear from you the other night and just sick that I couldn't make it. Typically I can move stuff around but you caught me on a bad night. Oh well, hopefully there will be a next time.

Steve

Steve,

I made the 10 sec runs on a set of Nitto 555's, the rears are 285-35-18's. I have pulled 1.60 and 1.70 60' times granny launching the car, the new suspension allows it to really set nice at launch and accelerate as long as you don't shock the tire too hard and spin. I now have the stickier Nitto NT-05 street compounds (200 TW), not the NT-05R version which is a drag radial. I hope to get it back on the track and launch the car harder.....would love to see 10.20's

The coupe I am building will have some more rubber under the rear and a few more ponies.....looking for 9's out of that one.

R/
Jeff
Old 12-05-2011, 01:46 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1coolC2
Steve,

I made the 10 sec runs on a set of Nitto 555's, the rears are 285-35-18's. I have pulled 1.60 and 1.70 60' times granny launching the car, the new suspension allows it to really set nice at launch and accelerate as long as you don't shock the tire too hard and spin. I now have the stickier Nitto NT-05 street compounds (200 TW), not the NT-05R version which is a drag radial. I hope to get it back on the track and launch the car harder.....would love to see 10.20's

The coupe I am building will have some more rubber under the rear and a few more ponies.....looking for 9's out of that one.

R/
Jeff
Wow! I have to give the Nitto 555's more credit than I thought. I am not sure how they would compare to an M/T DOT tire but that 60' time is awesome. Looking forward to more details on the '65 coupe.

Steve
Old 11-20-2013, 11:20 AM
c6silver
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't you fit a wider rim if you put in offset trailing arms ? For the amount of power you have I would say you'll need them if you don't already have them, AND the wider rear quarters too...
Old 11-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,001 Posts

OK, you have my attention. Super job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2013, 01:50 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by c6silver
Can't you fit a wider rim if you put in offset trailing arms ? For the amount of power you have I would say you'll need them if you don't already have them, AND the wider rear quarters too...
It looks like you have found the more recent thread so I will respond there.

Originally Posted by Mr D.
OK, you have my attention. Super job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks!

Steve

Quick Reply: 542” Tri-Power motor, cast iron exh.manifolds – 671.05 rwhp through mufflers!