C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Looking for a Good GPS System in my Vehicle

Old 11-24-2011, 11:04 AM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Looking for a Good GPS System in my Vehicle

Hello,
My 5 year old Pioneer GPS is starting to show it's age. I can't get anymore map updates for it. Been looking at a Cobra GPS (the kind that's popular with truckers). Can anyone give me some suggestions on buying other GPS units?
All replies will be greatly appreciated.
Richard
Old 11-24-2011, 11:10 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wonderful
Hello,
My 5 year old Pioneer GPS is starting to show it's age. I can't get anymore map updates for it. Been looking at a Cobra GPS (the kind that's popular with truckers). Can anyone give me some suggestions on buying other GPS units?
All replies will be greatly appreciated.
Richard
i have had garmin's, tom tom's and magellans
i really like the ease of operating the magellans and the price too.....jmo.....
Old 11-24-2011, 11:13 AM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I've got one of the Garmin Nuvi series. Great little system, easy to use.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 5thvet
I've got one of the Garmin Nuvi series. Great little system, easy to use.
Same here with the large 5" screen (Nuvi 1450) and a little cheaper if you don't get the auto traffic updating. Includes one free update. I think total was $130 including shipping through Amazon. I see it is listed now for $119.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-n%C3%BC...152737&sr=8-11

And if you want lifetime updates and traffic updates, that goes for $129.99:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-1450LMT...2152893&sr=8-1

Note that the traffic updates also come with ads, which I did not want (my reason for buying the top cheaper version)!

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 11-24-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:20 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

My Android smart phone came with Google Maps included. When you ask for driving directions, it goes back to Google for the latest data, so there is no need for the owner to update anything. The screen is small, but the voice directions work fine. ... I think the days of dedicated GPS units is coming to an end due to the competition from smart phones.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:30 PM
al89
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kellsdad
My Android smart phone came with Google Maps included. When you ask for driving directions, it goes back to Google for the latest data, so there is no need for the owner to update anything. The screen is small, but the voice directions work fine. ... I think the days of dedicated GPS units is coming to an end due to the competition from smart phones.
ditto on the smart phone, gps,internet,camera,text, all in one
Old 11-24-2011, 09:44 PM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Thank you people. Like all electronic systems, there is a life span for a couple of years, then something newer, better, and faster comes along. We end up buying that and the evolution spiral continues endlessly.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:54 PM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history

Only thing better for navigation than an iPhone is an iPad

Joe
Old 11-24-2011, 10:25 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

i guess i am real old fashion. i have a cell phone for emergencies, and paper maps or google print outs. jim
Old 11-24-2011, 10:27 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by devildog
Only thing better for navigation than an iPhone is an iPad

Joe
I was Googling "Best GPS app for iPad" just the other day. Which are you using? Thanks
Old 11-24-2011, 11:14 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE
I was Googling "Best GPS app for iPad" just the other day. Which are you using? Thanks
Try Waze.......GPS and traffic updates based on real people driving. Free too.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by jdk971
i guess i am real old fashion. i have a cell phone for emergencies, and paper maps or google print outs. jim
I agree for the most part. A 50's or 60's era vehicle and GPS (or smart phone) does not compute.......

Don't have a GPS mount for the 62, but the GPS is "standard" equipment for my other (21st century) vehicles.

Plasticman
Old 11-24-2011, 11:51 PM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Don't have a GPS mount for the 62
Plasticman[/QUOTE]

that is big advantage to iPAD, just set it over the clock under the radio.
Joe

Works good in the Avanti as well...just lay it on consul.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:46 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,272 Likes on 813 Posts

I still use a 4 year old Tom Tom, it works OK not great. I work with a guy that just upgraded to the latest Garmin. It is incredible, shows pictures of approaching intersections to help you choose correctly. Has trafic updates in real time.
A very nice system.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:23 AM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 740 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by jdk971
Paper maps
Old 11-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
I still use a 4 year old Tom Tom, it works OK not great. I work with a guy that just upgraded to the latest Garmin. It is incredible, shows pictures of approaching intersections to help you choose correctly. Has trafic updates in real time.
A very nice system.
The newer Garmin Nuvis have this feature. It's called Junction View. They are pictures of just about every interchange and exit on the interstate system. Some people find it more useful than others because the Nuvis also have Lane Assist which is a graphic in the upper left corner that tells you what lane to be in.

If Junction View is important to you then you should get a unit with more than 4gig memory, because then you get the whole file. Units with lesser memory get a smaller junction view file.

You want to get a unit with Lifetime Maps. That way you can get the newest map and data file which comes out 3-4 times a year.

I'm looking at the Nuvi 2450 or 2460 because these models have the larger screen, and they are powered through the mount. In other words, with the Nivi 1450, you have to plug in the cable when you pop it into the mount. I like being able to pop the unit into the mount and it is powered up without the extra step of plugging in the cable.

Also, with the 2450/60 you can place a couple of frequently used menu items on the first screen instead of going down through the menus to get to them. The 2460 adds 4 gig memory (total of 8Gig) to the 2450 as well as voice command and I think bluetooth.

I was leaning towards the 2450LM, but I think I will go with the 2460LMT because of the larger memory. The junction view is nice, but not that important to me. However the map updates keep getting larger. Also, voice command would be nice, but I have no experience on how well it works, especially in a side pipe car with the top down. (although the side pipe rumble and top down wind noise don't stand a chance against the sound of my wife barking out orders )

I have owned six Garmin units since the very first Streetpilot and I think I only had one problem, but Garmin sent me a replacement unit.

Oh, I just remembered that with the wider screen (5") the Junction view shows up as half the screen, so the data file for these units are smaller than the units where the junction view shows on the whole screen, so the smaller memory on the 2450 LM or LMT vs the 2460might be a non issue.

The LM stands for Lifetime Maps.
LMT is Lifetime Maps and Traffic

The traffic part is basically an FM antenna that is in the power cord that receives traffic data, usually near major cities. If you have a route programmed and there is traffic along the route, the GPS will display that segment in a different color based on the length of the delay so that you have the opportunty to detour around that segment.

Hope that helps!

Gerry
Old 11-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

It is interesting that in the Garmin NUVI 1450 pricing, you can get the unit without lifetime maps or traffic updates for $119.99 (NUVI 1450), the unit with lifetime maps and traffic updates for $129.99 (NUVI LMT), but if you only want the lifetime maps, with no traffic updates (and no resulting ads), then it cost more at $139.95 (NUVI 1450LM).......In other words, the ads with the traffic updates lowers the unit costs:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...1450LM&x=0&y=0

When I bought mine early this year, I could not find the unit with the lifetime maps, and no traffic updates (NUVI 1450LM)

Plasticman

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a Good GPS System in my Vehicle

Old 11-25-2011, 10:54 AM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Plasticman
It is interesting that in the Garmin NUVI 1450 pricing, you can get the unit without lifetime maps or traffic updates for $119.99 (NUVI 1450), the unit with lifetime maps and traffic updates for $129.99 (NUVI LMT), but if you only want the lifetime maps, with no traffic updates (and no resulting ads), then it cost more at $139.95 (NUVI 1450LM).......In other words, the ads with the traffic updates lowers the unit costs:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...1450LM&x=0&y=0

When I bought mine early this year, I could not find the unit with the lifetime maps, and no traffic updates (NUVI 1450LM)

Plasticman
The good thing is those ads only show up when you're not moving, so they are not obtrusive to me. I guess selling ads keeps it free for us.

If you buy a unit without lifetime maps, and then want to update your maps later, it's like $40 for a one time update and $80 for lifetime updates from the Garmin website. (cheaper on others like Amazon.com), so it's worth getting the lifetime maps with the unit.

I don't really care about traffic because I try to stay out of cities as much as possible, but the 2460 can't be had with just LM.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,326 Likes on 958 Posts

Default Navigation

Man, I am still using a sextant and a pair of clocks, one is set to Zulu time. I am going to look into those new paper maps though. Jerry
Old 11-25-2011, 04:50 PM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
Man, I am still using a sextant and a pair of clocks, one is set to Zulu time. I am going to look into those new paper maps though. Jerry
Jerry, don't forget your Rude Star Finder for night driving.

Joe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for a Good GPS System in my Vehicle