C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Found in Basement!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 04:28 PM
0Noland_Adams
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found in Basement!

While helping Noland Adams gather the materials for his website, we found a postcard (that he himself made with a picture he took of a Corvette) in his basement. It was a postcard he mailed to his "Mom and Dad" which reveals his early love for the Corvette as it was postmarked 1958!! Who would have known how much Noland Adams would contribute to our hobby back then? He didn't even know...but he knew he loved that car!

Mary Adams and I are gathering up (for Noland's birthday coming up in January) stories about Noland from anyone that has one. We would like to print them and give them as a gift, but need the stories! I am sure Noland would love to remember the times he had and know there must be hundred's. We are asking you to share YOUR personal "Noland Story". As a thank you, we will then place your CF userID in a hat for a drawing (to be held on Jan 18th Noland's B-day) for a Noland Adams autographed poster featuring his 1953 Corvette on the Commemorative US Post Stamp!

Please show your support by posting your story and becoming a member at his new site. Your support will enable Noland to bring his "life's work" into the 21st century (the internet) way of finding information! He is working hard, organizing & captioning 3500 unmatched vintage GM Corvette photographs. A few of the photos the site features are the 1957 Corvette SS, the Corvette SS Mule, the Q Corvette roadster, and Bill Mitchell’s Stingray Racer, which are all closely related according to Noland.

Keep your hands on the wheel,
Tobey Erhart
www.NolandAdams.com

Last edited by Noland_Adams; 11-26-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Never heard of him....
Old 11-26-2011, 11:06 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

I met Noland at the Pacific International Raceways vintage races in 2002. One of the most gracious, friendly, fun, gentlemen I have ever met. Thank You, Noland, for the incredible contribution you have made to our hobby and I wish you great success and prosperity on this new endeavor, you have truly earned it. I look forward to many hours of enjoyment on your website.
God Bless You
Old 11-27-2011, 02:26 AM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

While I've only known Nolnd for around ten years, I always enjoyed getting the silliest of jokes and things through email. When I first began restoring 53's, Noland was very gracious to send me blueprints, pics and other helpful material. I feel thankful to have been able to help him with some of the parts that I reproduce, 53 valve covers being just one item.

Always full of witty conversation, he made me feel at home at the 50th Anniversary Banquet in Flint, when the only part of my 53 I could bring at the time was my spare tire 1/2 moon.

Hats off to you Noland!

Brett!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:48 AM
John BX NY
Drifting

Received 337 Likes on 229 Posts

......thinly veiled pitch for a website ?
Old 11-27-2011, 02:38 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Isn't the whole idea of "paying" to become a Supporting Vendor, to advertise to promote your business?????
Old 11-27-2011, 03:17 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

I was the Master Of Ceremonies at Noland's "retirement roast" during the SACC National Convention in 2007 at the Baker Hotel in St. Charles, Illinois; speakers included myself, Jerry Kohn (CEO of Corvette Central), Bill Locke (Bloomington Gold Special Collection), Jim Gessner (Registry of Corvette Race Cars), Mike Yager (Chief Cheerleader/CEO of Mid-America Motorworks), Joe Calcagno (owner of R.A.R.E. Corvettes), David Burroughs (CEO, Bloomington Gold), and Larry Richter (founding member of SACC). A great time was had by all, and SACC produced a DVD of the evening's festivities.

Folks like that don't show up as speakers for just anyone; Noland is a fine gentleman known to virtually everyone in the Corvette hobby, and I'm honored to be counted among his friends.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by John BX NY
A little more blunt ----
He is a supporting vendor and wouldn't need to "veil" a pitch thinly
or at all!
Old 11-27-2011, 09:45 PM
carcrazyandbroke
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have never met him, but I have read some of his work.

Maybe he will put the SB cars with the BB hood myth to bed on his website with some pictures.

Best of Luck, Noland!
Old 11-27-2011, 09:55 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Larry P
A little more blunt ----
He is a supporting vendor and wouldn't need to "veil" a pitch thinly
or at all!
Well said, and I agree.

Noland is a true pioneer of Corvette history.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:19 PM
0Noland_Adams
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by John BX NY
Here is a story that I think is great...

The college professor was giving the class a lecture on how to get along in life. "You must be aggressive. Pick out your objective and go for it. You notice when you come to a door it says 'push' - that's it - PUSH." "Yes," spoke up a heckler-student, "but on the other side of the door it says 'PULL'--that helps a little, also."
Old 11-28-2011, 01:33 PM
rgs
Drifting

Back in the late 80's, I bought my first Corvette, a basket case 67 435Hp, ex race car. I tried to make sense of the VIN number. It didn't match what I was reading about what it should be. I contacted Noland and gave him all the info I knew about the car including tracings of the stamp pad and trim tag. He determined that the person setting the stamp grabbed an I instead of a 1 that day. With a 1 there, the VIN made sense. He published my letter and his response to me in his column. I inquired at that time about making public his database. I'm glad he is now doing it.

Get notified of new replies

To Found in Basement!

Quick Reply: Found in Basement!