C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Body/Paint shops in San Francisco Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:21 PM
yogiboobuck
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Body/Paint shops in San Francisco Bay Area

Getting ready to put my 66 vert body back on frame. Always knew there was something wrong with the front end. After viewing every area of body which is very easy with body off. Looks like there has been work done, at least one time to the front drivers side. New lower fender etc. The problem is that the front of the car on the drivers side sits about 1 3/4" lower than the right which makes sense because the door gaps where real bad on the drivers side. Bubba messed this up and I need to fix it. I need a good body guy for this fix. Can you guys help with any suggestions in the SF Bay Area?
Old 12-03-2011, 10:21 PM
vetteman64
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 63 Posts

I live in the SF Bay area, Hayward, and have a very high recommendation for you. Though not in the immediate area, Steve Ward in Anderson CA did the bodywork and more on my 59. He also has my 63 coupe in process to be my Grand Sport proto dream. He is not limited to bodywork, has done many cars start to finish. Some from horrible shells like mine that I will display the path on this site when finished. (a kitchen remodel has stopped work on the car)
A little over a 3 hour drive without a trailer, closer to 4 with a trailer due to the 55 mph speed limit with a trailer. I made many trips to his shop and he treats me like a friend. Give me a call if you like.
510-381-4139

C Ya, Joseph Rock
Frankenstein 59 & Grand Sport proto
Old 12-05-2011, 07:45 PM
slyvet63
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Vettman64,

So, your doing a 63 Grand-Sport Proto!!!! Awesome. I was thinking about doing something in the likeness to my 63' G.S.. But, I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the rear fenders. As you know, the G.S. had those wide straight fender flares which is the look I'm going after. I have two sets of fenders, The normal stock looking ones and a pair of flaired ones. But, after many long months mulling them over going back and forth and with my dad's advise, I've decided to go with the stock fenders. I figure I can always add on the G.S. fenders to the stock fenders later.

Have you found a pair of G.S. fenders, or are you going that route?
I haven't found the flares available anywhere. I spoke with someone at Mongoose Motorsports, but they are all molded in as one big biece of the car body.

Like to see how your's turns out.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:48 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vetteman64
I live in the SF Bay area, Hayward, and have a very high recommendation for you. Though not in the immediate area, Steve Ward in Anderson CA did the bodywork and more on my 59. He also has my 63 coupe in process to be my Grand Sport proto dream. He is not limited to bodywork, has done many cars start to finish. Some from horrible shells like mine that I will display the path on this site when finished. (a kitchen remodel has stopped work on the car)
A little over a 3 hour drive without a trailer, closer to 4 with a trailer due to the 55 mph speed limit with a trailer. I made many trips to his shop and he treats me like a friend. Give me a call if you like.
510-381-4139

C Ya, Joseph Rock
Frankenstein 59 & Grand Sport proto
Treats you like a friend. He is your friend! Steve is a great guy!
Old 08-20-2014, 12:01 AM
don lemelin
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default old thread.... but need some help

Hello all,
Got rear-ended by and SUV today in my original paint '64 c2
split open the seam at the rear top bonding strip. Hoping someone can recommend a shop in the San Francisco area that can do the repair (I'm willing to travel a few hours if needed).
It'll be an insurance job so $$ will be no object (unless they are prepared to total a 68,000 mile survivor and in that case I'll take a really big check and buy the car back and pay for the repairs myself
The big question is if there is someone out there that can properly do the fiberglass work and miraculously match the 50 year old paint / patina on the car. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Don

Last edited by don lemelin; 08-20-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:12 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Look up Chris Springer Auto Restoration in Los Gatos CA. Actually, he's in the Santa Cruz mountains.

Anyway, look him up and view his work.

He's currently painting our '62. Definitely a straight shooter, and extremely knowledgeable!

His website and articles say far more than I could ever express here on this forum.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:24 AM
don lemelin
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Look up Chris Springer Auto Restoration in Los Gatos CA. Actually, he's in the Santa Cruz mountains.

Anyway, look him up and view his work.

He's currently painting our '62. Definitely a straight shooter, and extremely knowledgeable!

His website and articles say far more than I could ever express here on this forum.
Thank you! As this is my cars first "hit" I'm not really sure how bad this really is, any thoughts? I've no idea how this gets repaired properly.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:32 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by don lemelin
Thank you! As this is my cars first "hit" I'm not really sure how bad this really is, any thoughts? I've no idea how this gets repaired properly.
Sent you a PM Don.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:27 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,036 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Here's a second for Chris Springer, who has done work on my '67. Just as good is Bob Waldschmidt in San Carlos at http://www.automotiveenterprise.org/ He's also done work for me. Both are master body men with vast Corvette experience. You can't go wrong with either one.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:03 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Any luck Don?

Get notified of new replies

To Body/Paint shops in San Francisco Bay Area

Quick Reply: Body/Paint shops in San Francisco Bay Area