C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Route 66 TV Series - On ME TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Route 66 TV Series - On ME TV

The Route 66 TV series is on ME TV for those who get that. However, their scheduling is poor - 3 am.

http://www.metvnetwork.com/programs.php?showID=69

Maybe if we all write and tell them it is better at 11 or 6 or something.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:00 AM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Mark, you need a TiVo or DVR.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:51 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I could never understand why the Corvette community has never been able to learn more about this TV series which undoubtly help Chevrolet sell a lot of Corvettes from 1961 to 1964. I never herad anything about the cars except the color was Fawn Beige in the C1 cars and silver in the C2 cars. I know some cars were PGs and some were standard shifts from watching the actors and how they handled the cars. I even believe one of the 61's had solid lifters hearing it start in one episode. Ins;t there a way to trace how these cars were purschased when Chevrolet gave them to the movie companys. The cars did not have normal sales proceedures did they when Hollywood buys a car. These cars have to be out there some place how come no one ever searched for them?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Karfever
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Station isnt on Direct TV...nm

Old 12-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Around 1983 they tried to reprise the series and I began taping it; it only lasted for 4 shows I transferred the VHS tapes to DVD...
Old 12-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 5thvet
Mark, you need a TiVo or DVR.
. . . . or maybe not!

I've been taping and watching the series, it's being rebroadcast on some local stations. It's entertaining for me to watch, just to see the different cars and old stars in the shows. But the plots!! Seriously, some of these are so far out that there's no way such a show would play on today's market IMO.

All in all, worth watching, just for the memories, I guess. Hard to see now how some of us thought at the time that it was one of the greatest shows ever aired. Maybe in some manner it was . . . . ??

Old 12-06-2011, 09:03 AM
60-vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ps374
the color was Fawn Beige in the C1 cars
On the remastered DVDs they say that the C1s were light blue to give a better shade of Red on the black and white TV screens. Right or wrong? At least it makes sense because red turns out dark on bl/wh TVs.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:05 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
. . . . or maybe not!

I've been taping and watching the series, it's being rebroadcast on some local stations. It's entertaining for me to watch, just to see the different cars and old stars in the shows. But the plots!! Seriously, some of these are so far out that there's no way such a show would play on today's market IMO.

All in all, worth watching, just for the memories, I guess. Hard to see now how some of us thought at the time that it was one of the greatest shows ever aired. Maybe in some manner it was . . . . ??

Biggest hurdle would be convincing viewers that two drifters could visit a new town each week and instantly find work in 2011!

I would suggest testing a pilot with two attractive young women instead of two guys, that might attract more viewers from both genders.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Not sure I thought it was one of the, "....greatest shows ever aired". That distinction goes to Paladin hands down.

Most of the Route 66 episodes were pretty dry, dragged out very often but, unlike "Desperate Slutty Housewives" and other nonsense on TV now the stories had a moral and the good guys won nearly every time.

The car, the whimsical free-wheeling lifestyle, and comradeship between the stars, were the main attractions of the series.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Willie'sVette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Not sure I thought it was one of the, "....greatest shows ever aired". That distinction goes to Paladin hands down.
Most of the Route 66 episodes were pretty dry, dragged out very often but, unlike "Desperate Slutty Housewives" and other nonsense on TV now the stories had a moral and the good guys won nearly every time.
The car, the whimsical free-wheeling lifestyle, and comradeship between the stars, were the main attractions of the series.
"Paladin, Paladin, were do you roam?...great show w/ a underrated actor......like Route 66 a show bout a wandering hero....maybe that's the story bout us vette owners...we keep searching...but we don't know what the hell we're looking for...

....and to anticipate Mr. Rat Fink...no Frank, I'm not looking for my KO wheel that went on w/o me.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Your wheels are FO "Fall Off" Willie not KO...

Always liked Martin Milner in Route 66 and later in Adam 12....it was almost traumatic when, as a young kid, he was the bad guy in the original "Thirteen Ghosts" -- remember that one -- you could only see the ghosts with special glasses at the movies.

I have heard several theories about where the Rt 66 Corvettes wound up but nothing sounded definitive.

BTW - many people don't know that Richard Boone was actually a distant relative of Daniel Boone.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Willie'sVette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Your wheels are FO "Fall Off" Willie not KO...

Always liked Martin Milner in Route 66 and later in Adam 12....it was almost traumatic when, as a young kid, he was the bad guy in the original "Thirteen Ghosts" -- remember that one -- you could only see the ghosts with special glasses at the movies.
I have heard several theories about where the Rt 66 Corvettes wound up but nothing sounded definitive.
BTW - many people don't know that Richard Boone was actually a distant relative of Daniel Boone.
Well, they may be Fall Off...but they're numbers matching!

Saw 13 Ghosts as an adult...yes, it was a shock to see him play the bad guy.

On Route 66, when much younger, my biggest shock was finding out, that George Maharis (Buz)...er....ah...how do I put this w/o offending ....Gay....and he was the guy who always got the chicks on the show.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:22 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Willie'sVette
" ... On Route 66, when much younger, my biggest shock was finding out, that George Maharis (Buz)...er....ah...how do I put this w/o offending ....Gay....and he was the guy who always got the chicks on the show.
Rock Hudson got the chicks, too! Go figure...
Old 12-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Willie'sVette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cor66vette
Rock Hudson got the chicks, too! Go figure...
In the name of anything that is holy/sacred/important to u....please change u'r figg'n avatar!!!...that's enough to turn any man gay!
Old 12-07-2011, 01:18 AM
Rusler John
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

As a kid, I watched that show just to see the Vette. I knew it was a "cool" car and wanted to get one when I could drive. In 67', I bought a tired, hard driven 60' and the bug in me never left. I bought three more used ones as time went on and finally bought a "new" 07' LMB Coupe. The love for these cars never left me, all these years. That show infected me with the "Corvette Bug".
Old 12-07-2011, 08:43 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,887 Likes on 794 Posts

I watch the Route 66 reruns on RTV every evening (recorded on DVR). The writing style if very old fashioned by todays standards....meaning, more classical, longer speeches, more complex dialogue, etc. Sometimes its a bit much and the scenes are drawn out.....180 degrees from the super fast edits we are used to now. Still, I like the show and it brings me back to Friday nights as a kid in the early 60's. Remember Rawhide? It was on the same night back to back on CBS (along with Twilight Zone later in the evening!).
Old 12-09-2011, 08:33 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Out here in the SF Bay area it's carried by Comcast on the "RTV" (Retro Tele Vision) channel. It comes on from 4 to 5 in the afternoon. Now that I'm retired I get to watch it occasionally! Just finished watching an episode where Rin Tin Tin guest starred as a guide dog for a blind woman! Talk about combining more than one memory from my youth (woulda been 12 at the time...) in one show!

Get notified of new replies

To Route 66 TV Series - On ME TV

Old 12-10-2011, 02:32 AM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Google 'route 66 tv show' and check out 'wikipedia'. They have some info on Route 66 including a brief summary of each episode.
METV showed em a couple of years ago, every night. Printed the list and checked the episodes off as I watched them.
Actually, ONCE is enough!

I liked the episode where Bill Mitchel's Mako Shark show car was the rich womans daily driver!

Last edited by KapsSA; 12-10-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Revette
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Out here in the SF Bay area it's carried by Comcast on the "RTV" (Retro Tele Vision) channel. It comes on from 4 to 5 in the afternoon. Now that I'm retired I get to watch it occasionally! Just finished watching an episode where Rin Tin Tin guest starred as a guide dog for a blind woman! Talk about combining more than one memory from my youth (woulda been 12 at the time...) in one show!

Here in the Green Bay, WI area it is carried at 4:00 pm on ME-TV (stands for memorable entertainment) available without cable. The staging of the show was a lot more gritty (I guess that's the word) with a lot of location shots, looking more stark and a bit more realistic than the productions to today.

Wasn't the original '60 Corvette blue and then those after done in beige since the blue didn't translate to black and white television very well.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 810 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

It is interesting that Martin Milner was able to upgrade to a C2 as the series progressed. The original '60 was supposedly left to him by his deceased father whose company had gone into receivership, and the only asset left to bequeath to his son was the C1. That must have been one sympathetic bankruptcy judge. I could never understand--even as a kid--how he was able to travel around, given his obvious lack of employment and the itinerant nature of his life, and still find the funds to upgrade his ride every year.

As someone indicated earlier, the preposterous scripts, from week to week, required a leap of faith by the audience.

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 12-10-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Route 66 TV Series - On ME TV