C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

GM Fuel Injection on Crate 350 Engine

Old 12-08-2011, 07:26 AM
hokie04
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GM Fuel Injection on Crate 350 Engine

How can I tell if a particuliar 350 engine will accept the GM FI? Does the block matter or just the type of heads. As you can tell I know nothing about it. The car I am looking at has a new crate 350 with 2 fours and I would want to convert to FI.

Thanks,

Richard
Old 12-08-2011, 08:06 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by hokie04
How can I tell if a particuliar 350 engine will accept the GM FI? Does the block matter or just the type of heads. As you can tell I know nothing about it. The car I am looking at has a new crate 350 with 2 fours and I would want to convert to FI.

Thanks,

Richard
What type of FI????? The early Rochester (57-65), Cross fire, TPI, throttle body???
Also, what version, or style, of 350 do you have?

Tom Parsons
Old 12-08-2011, 01:21 PM
hokie04
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
What type of FI????? The early Rochester (57-65), Cross fire, TPI, throttle body???
Also, what version, or style, of 350 do you have?

Tom Parsons
Tom,

Let me see if I can find out what type of 350 crate engine this is in the car. I was wanting the type of FI that you would get from GM with one of their 350 crate engine options at GM Performance.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:54 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Then that would be a TPI (Tuned Port Inj) unit.
The Gen 1 bolt hole configuration on the intake side of the heads changed in 86 (?). Thus, the type of manifold bolt hole setup is also different.
And then there are the LS engines which are also different.

Tom Parsons
Old 12-08-2011, 02:19 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Then that would be a TPI (Tuned Port Inj) unit.
The Gen 1 bolt hole configuration on the intake side of the heads changed in 86 (?). Thus, the type of manifold bolt hole setup is also different
Not entirely correct. The 87-91 Corvette aluminum L98 TPI heads used the centerbolt valve covers, but they had the same intake bolt pattern as the 55-86 small blocks. Those heads are also used on the ZZ4 crate engine, so if you have a ZZ4, any early small block intake will bolt on.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:22 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was wanting the type of FI that you would get from GM with one of their 350 crate engine options at GM Performance.

The GM performance parts small block FI unit is called a Ram Jet. It was never used on a production vehicle, only sold though GM performance parts. You can buy a Ram Jet 350 from GMPP with that intake on it.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:00 PM
hokie04
Burning Brakes

Guess it doesn't matter now our talks broke down. Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Muttley
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBRA
The GM performance parts small block FI unit is called a Ram Jet. It was never used on a production vehicle, only sold though GM performance parts. You can buy a Ram Jet 350 from GMPP with that intake on it.
...and the current, GMPP Ram Jet is compatible only with Vortec style heads.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:33 AM
hokie04
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Muttley
...and the current, GMPP Ram Jet is compatible only with Vortec style heads.
Let me ask you a dumb question. Can you take any 327 and install Vortec heads and then it will accept the GMPP Ram Jet? Or will the heads only fit certain blocks?
Old 12-09-2011, 09:55 AM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Let me ask you a dumb question. Can you take any 327 and install Vortec heads and then it will accept the GMPP Ram Jet? Or will the heads only fit certain blocks?
Yes they will fit, although I have some reservations about my setup with them (11-1 domed pistons). I think the vortecs and in particular the fast burn heads are designed to use flat tops, and I don't know how efficient they would be, or if it would require some clearincing in the chamber. Arizona Speed and Marine does the Ram Jet set up with the air meter on the side ala the early Rochester, and I think you can even use the air filter setup to make it look very similar. If they made it to fit the early style heads I'd change in a second.

By the way- prayers go out to the Officer killed at Va. Tech yesterday.

Last edited by vettsplit 63; 12-09-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:07 AM
hokie04
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
Yes they will fit, although I have some reservations about my setup with them (11-1 domed pistons). I think the vortecs and in particular the fast burn heads are designed to use flat tops, and I don't know how efficient they would be, or if it would require some clearincing in the chamber. Arizona Speed and Marine does the Ram Jet set up with the air meter on the side ala the early Rochester, and I think you can even use the air filter setup to make it look very similar. If they made it to fit the early style heads I'd change in a second.

By the way- prayers go out to the Officer killed at Va. Tech yesterday.
Thanks for your prayers it has been a rough time here is Blacksburg since 2007 and yesterday made us all numb. I was driving home yesterday and I was passed by dozens of police cars and knew something bad had happened. It goes to show we never know what the day will bring. The police officer just made a routine traffic stop on campus. I feel for his wife and five children.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Muttley
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 176 Posts

Another (potential) issue with the Vortec heads is that they sit higher than the old ones do, so hood clearance needs to be checked. I know that people have successfully put Ram Jet 350s into C1s, but I don't believe it's a "gimme" that it will fit with stock motor and trans mounts in all cases. A manifold and carb setup on Vortec heads needs to be similarly checked.

On the exhaust side, stock manifolds apparently will bolt up, but the manifolds may be raised a bit too. Ports may also mismatch to some degree, which might be correctable by grinding the manifold. I have been told (don't know myself) that "Fast Burn" heads have exhaust ports that are too big to match well with stock ram horn manifolds.

On the Arizona Speed version of the Ram Jet, it looks like they beveled the forward edge of the plenum for hood clearance. I think that unit goes for something like $4K, but it sure does look cool:

Old 12-09-2011, 01:54 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

The regular Ram Jet will not clear. A friend of mine got I believe the first one from Arizona Speed and Marine for a C2 and worked with them to sort it out.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Y-FLY
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a Ram jet 350 in my '66. Love it. You will need to go to a big block hood for clearance
Old 12-21-2011, 03:03 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Somewhere right here in the past, there was someone who combined the old Rochester FI setup with modern day electronic FI/nozzles.
It LOOKED like an early FI unit, but had the hi-tech features of modern day functions. Pretty much the best of both worlds. The owner posted pictures, but UNFORTUNATELY I didn't copy/save them. DUH!

So, if you're the owner of said FI system, would you be kind enough to post some information and pictures again.

Tom Parsons
Old 12-21-2011, 03:21 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I think it looks good with Tuned Port Injecton

Tuned Port Injection

Ram Jet
Old 12-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Y-FLY
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I was going to post some pictures of my Ram jet 350 here but am too dumb to figure out how to do it. anyway it's a great engine

Get notified of new replies

To GM Fuel Injection on Crate 350 Engine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM Fuel Injection on Crate 350 Engine