C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Replace throw-out bearing...Tremec

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Dave64
Drifting

Received 520 Likes on 192 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21

Default Replace throw-out bearing...Tremec

The throw-out bearing that came with my new Tremec 5-speed for the '64 is bad, so I need to replace it - after maybe, 300 miles. (Of course, I couldn't hear it until I had the body back on and started actually shifting the car.) I hate this, everything is brand new with no scratches - yet...

I know the Tremec is larger than the Muncie, so will it be easier for me to pull the engine and leave the transmission in the car, or will I need to pull the transmission, too?

Thx,
Dave
Old 12-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I would probably pull both. I think it would be easier to mate them together out of the car.

I wonder how the bearing got bad after only 300 miles?

Gerry
Old 12-13-2011, 04:47 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave64
The throw-out bearing that came with my new Tremec 5-speed for the '64 is bad, so I need to replace it - after maybe, 300 miles. (Of course, I couldn't hear it until I had the body back on and started actually shifting the car.) I hate this, everything is brand new with no scratches - yet...

I know the Tremec is larger than the Muncie, so will it be easier for me to pull the engine and leave the transmission in the car, or will I need to pull the transmission, too?

Thx,
Dave
I just pulled a 350 with billet aluminum pulleys that are 4 inches longer then the standard 327 with stock pulleys.
I supported the bell housing (muncie) with wood, removed the radiator and I could spin the engine in any direction after it was pulled.

So if it were me, I would leave the transmission in. Just use an engine leveler on your hoist.
You will need a clutch plate alignment spline if you put too much weight on the clutch plate as you drag it out but I have pulled many an engine without transmission.. you may need to wobble the engine a bit to get it in
Old 12-13-2011, 06:27 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave64

Thx,
Dave
drain the coolant,remove the fan, fuel line to the pump, heater hoses,possibly water pump and alternator, exhaust pipes and front motormounts and distributor. leave the hood in place and cherry pick the mill from the side, this should give enough room to service the t/o brg.....oh yeah, remove the trans. to bell bolts and z-bar
all you need is for the mill to go forward and not all the way out, leave the tko in the car
this is how i do bb's, so a sb should have more room

Last edited by midyearvette; 12-13-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:10 AM
Dave64
Drifting

Received 520 Likes on 192 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21

I've been pondering that myself. I think it's because I painted the engine Ford Red. Though, when the clutch pedal is pushed down, the t/o bearing chirps like crazy - only when pushing on the clutch pedal.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to try the side approach, though I'll remove the hood.

Get notified of new replies

To Replace throw-out bearing...Tremec

Quick Reply: Replace throw-out bearing...Tremec