C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 ebrake with disc brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 06:03 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Default 63 ebrake with disc brakes

Pictures like these would have made my 63 4 wheel disc brake installation much easier for the ebrake replacement. You have to buy all what I show for brackets, a 64 complete ebrake handle and all new 64 cables. This is really a huge amount of work. Consider if you really need rear disc brakes. With discs only on the front and rear drums you can avoid all this expense and agony.

Somehow the reputable catalog dealer I bought the kit from was unable to provide adequate instructions for someone who had never seen a 64 ebrake before or accurate measurements either. You can guess who that is since only one vendor provides a more or less compete ebrake kit. You don't really need a kit, just buy all the parts separately.

These are measurements from my completed installation that works and has an ebrake handle that can be adjusted.

Measurements for the following are from the driver's side of the frame on the cross member with the exhaust holes. These measurements came from the 65 frame I have waiting to go under the 63 while l restore the 63 frame.

This is where I'm measuring from, the side frame member

8 3/8 inch for the 3/4 inch hole on the front of the cross member looking down from the top

10 3/8 inch for the 1 1/8 inch hole on the rear of the cross member looking towards the engine

12 inch for the ebrake cable holder on the rear of the cross member looking towards the engine

25 3/8 inch for the ebrake lever hold on the rear of the cross member looking towards the engine

6 inches, install one of these brackets on each side to hold the ebrake cable to the wheel on the kick up cross member

This is one of the brackets for the trailing arm from trailing arm for drum brakes I replaced with rebuilt ones. My 63 already had later trailing arms with the bracket already installed

5 1/2 inches on the trailing arm bracket (I'm not sure if a real 63 trailing arm has the left bracket or not)

This is under the hood where you have to install the 64 style cable wheel.

You also have to find a complete 64 ebrake handles with all the brackets and make a new hole in the firewall. I got the hole in the right spot on the second try and covered up my mistake with an aluminum plate for strength. Happily a forum member sold me 1 64 handle and brackets cheap. On the right is my ECU for the throttle body fuel injection I installed.

Adjusting ebrake cable from my 66 Service Manual

This is what you end up with after the above from my 63

Make a small hole for the spring

1) With car on lift remove both rear wheels
2) Loosen brake cables at the equalizer until the ebrake lever moves freely in the off position
3) Turn the disc until the adjusting screw can be seen
4) Tighten the adjusting screw with a screw driver by moving your hand away from the floor on both sides
5) Tighten until disc won't move and then back off 10 clicks
6) Apply parking brake 4 notches from inside the car
7) Tighten brake cable at equalizer to produce a light drag with the wheels mounted
8) Fully release brake handle. No drag should be evident at the wheels.

Last edited by mrtexas; 12-18-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Quick Reply: 63 ebrake with disc brakes