C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 Rear wheel bearing replacement questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 07:58 AM
FLORIDA
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default 65 Rear wheel bearing replacement questions.

1965 Rear wheel bearing set up. I have questions.
I have removed the wheel spindle. Bought a new axle, bearings and seals. I plan to use the old spindle for a set up tool to determine end play as recommended by Tom. I plan to undersize the old spindle (tool) enough to slide the bearings on and off to check shims to determine end play. I also made the other tool for reassemble using 1-1/4 x 1" pipe bushing.

1) Is it recommended to remove the trailing arm to do everything in the press for reassembly?
2) If not, once the seal and outer bearing is on the spindle and you slide it into the trailing arm housing can you tap the seal into place behind the spindle hub? How do you reach it?
3) 35 years ago I hire someone to rebuild the rear wheel bearings on a 64. He used new spindles but took a few thousands off the spindle diameter where the inner bearing mounts. This was to enable a firm slip fit instead of a press fit to allow the bearing to be removed easier. Is this recommended? If so, what diameter, tolerances? Or should I just check for proper end play with set up tool, install bearings, set and forget it.

Last edited by FLORIDA; 12-21-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:41 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I would not slip fit. If the trailing arms are going to be out of the car, then certainly the press is the best way to do it. There are several ways of installing on the car. There are tools, both purchased and home made to install the shaft. You really dont need them, but they help. If you dont have the tools, you can install the outer bearing with the seal on the shaft. With the help of a friend or a large C clamp or vice grip, hold the axle in place. Then with the spacers and bearing on the inner end start tapping with a punch and hammer to seat the inner bearing. When that gets about a quarter inch from fully seated, use a large flat screwdriver to seat the outer seal. Its not easy but working around it can be done. Then finish the install.

Last edited by wombvette; 12-21-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

There's very good reasons why GM went away from a slip fit on the early cars to the tight fit used through '82. The need to use tools once every 40K miles or 20 years or so to re-service them is a small price to pay.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:48 PM
FLORIDA
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

OK tonight I made my tool from the old spindle to check end play. Got the bearings to slide on. With the dial indicator I got a reading of 0.006". The spec is from 0.001 to 0.008". Should I be happy with 0.006" or should I go to the next size shim sold in increments of 0.006" and remove 0.003 off of it? Am I being too picky here? Just wanted to shot for norminal vs. the loose side.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

If rotor runout is held to an absolute minimum, I think you'll be OK.

Get notified of new replies

To 65 Rear wheel bearing replacement questions.

Quick Reply: 65 Rear wheel bearing replacement questions.