C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Congress ends corn ethanol subsidy

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 10:25 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Ahh, I don't think so. We've had 10% ethanol in CT & NE for over 12 years. Not one single problem with any car, heads, carb, fuel lines, etc. Every one in perfect shade, including '40 Chev, 62' Vette with modified engine, '68 Impala wagon, and a few others I've sold. Just because a subsidy ended doesn't mean ethanol is going away. In fact, it will be mandatory in all states. With subsidy ended, price of gas should go down now.
We've had it in Wa. State for 30+ years. No problem here either.

Jim
Old 12-26-2011, 10:38 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

The discussion was to use more corn and subsidize more to create more ethanol. A blend of 15% is considered by most to be destructive to older engines. That's where all this started. So the fact they are suspending subsidies will likely cause the same fuel to rise in price if the mandate remains to keep at least 10% Ethanol.

All I know for sure is what 3 engine builders have told me, and they are seeing significant cracking in the valve seats if higher concentrations of Ethanol is used. I am no chemist, all I am doing is repeating what these guys have said. At the same time they report gasket breakdown and gas lines off gasing.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:57 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Is sugar ethanol superior? I think Brazil has switched over to 100 percent sugar derived ethanol for vehicle fuel.

They have wanted to export to the USA, but the corn lobby has blocked that. Maybe we'll have a choice now?
Old 12-27-2011, 10:46 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by sub006
Is sugar ethanol superior? I think Brazil has switched over to 100 percent sugar derived ethanol for vehicle fuel.

They have wanted to export to the USA, but the corn lobby has blocked that. Maybe we'll have a choice now?
NO But it is much more officiant & muck cheaper to make alcohol with sugar beats & sugar cane than corn. That is why corn farmers want to keep the ethanol from Brazil out.
KEN
Old 12-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TC233
A blend of 15% is considered by most to be destructive to older engines.
You've yet to state who 'they' is other than mentioning an anonymous bunch of engine builders. Since E15 does not yet exist in a commercial sense, how have these three builders amassed sufficient experience to conclude that it does harm to older Corvette engines?

Many of us here have decades of experience using E10 in our older Corvette engines and have seen no such deterioration.

Did 'they' also recommend installing hardened valve seats when leaded fuels were discontinued?
Old 12-27-2011, 11:03 AM
32361ARTHUR
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I say eat the corn and drill for oil. Our food would cost less, we wouldn't need mid east oil and there would be thousands of jobs. Of course we would ruin the earth and all die in a blaze of global warming according to the EXPERTS.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:07 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
We've had it in Wa. State for 30+ years. No problem here either.

Jim
Used it for many years, no problems here either....
Old 12-27-2011, 11:41 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Modern engines all use hardened valve seats because the cylinder heads are aluminum, not because of any concerns about ethanol; hardened seats aren't required with iron heads.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:16 PM
kwkenuf
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Modern engines all use hardened valve seats because the cylinder heads are aluminum, not because of any concerns about ethanol; hardened seats aren't required with iron heads.
I thought hardened valve seats came into the picture when lead was being removed from our fuel? Talk of sunken valves etc...
Old 12-27-2011, 12:29 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by kwkenuf
I thought hardened valve seats came into the picture when lead was being removed from our fuel? Talk of sunken valves etc...
"Talk" is the operative word; falls into the same category as the Mayan calendar says the world will come to an end next December. Hardened seats aren't necessary in iron heads unless they're in a boat, a dump truck, or you're towing a trailer all day long at 100 mph.

Quick Reply: Congress ends corn ethanol subsidy