C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Project "Peer Pressure"

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 10:54 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.
Received 262 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin
Very nice!
Thanks. It's important to me that the view from the seats be as nice as a man of my meager ability can make it. After all, that view will create the first impression once someone sits in the car.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:59 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

you're doing a great job, car will be a joy to drive and show, I have no doubt .... Have a Merry Christmas, maybe Santa will help you out...
Old 12-19-2014, 11:04 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by mudbone64
Thanks. It's important to me that the view from the seats be as nice as a man of my meager ability can make it. After all, that view will create the first impression once someone sits in the car.
Oh man, without a doubt!

Trouble is finding a way to slow the train down enough to hop off. The ole "while we're here we might as well..." deal comes into play. Now your gauges look great, what else is going to pale by comparison, you know?

Really is shaping up nice man.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:15 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.

Originally Posted by vt65
you're doing a great job, car will be a joy to drive and show, I have no doubt .... Have a Merry Christmas, maybe Santa will help you out...
'Preciate it. I've recently got back into riding my dirt bike. I think Santa's got some goodies for it rather than the Corvette. You have a Merry Christmas as well!
Old 12-19-2014, 11:22 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zoomin
Oh man, without a doubt!

Trouble is finding a way to slow the train down enough to hop off. The ole "while we're here we might as well..." deal comes into play. Now your gauges look great, what else is going to pale by comparison, you know?

Really is shaping up nice man.
This thing is blown so far apart I'm not sure what else I could restore or renew! I've got new seats, carpet, restored glove box door, restored pedal assembly, restored column and steering wheel and restored console trim. The gauge bezel has been restored and the parts to re-assemble should be here Monday. I also have dye coming for the dash. The only thing I've yet to address in the interior is the clock. For some reason I've neglected to see what it's going to take to make it look new. I honestly don't care if it works or not. I just want it to look good. Wish me luck and good financial fortune. I'm going to need both. That windshield frame trip was a pricey one.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:58 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,272 Likes on 813 Posts

Mudbone the car is looking great, glad you have your rust issues behind you. The gauges look brand new. Now the key question as you get closer to being on the road again, will this car keep up with the GTO you helped Gino build???? If not, pull that engine you will need some more power! All in jest of course the car is looking great.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:28 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
Mudbone the car is looking great, glad you have your rust issues behind you. The gauges look brand new. Now the key question as you get closer to being on the road again, will this car keep up with the GTO you helped Gino build???? If not, pull that engine you will need some more power! All in jest of course the car is looking great.
Actually I'd be Geno but the answer to your question is no. Ain't no streetable 327 wants any of gear-banger's GTO. He'll break their heart.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:39 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

Man, that wasn't any fun at all. I didn't think the removal was hard just hard on my back.
I've seen some '64 gauge clusters that have had the frosting removed from the rings around the gauges but I'd like to try to replicate it. Does anyone have any tips?
Takes a little time and patience but not hard to do. I did mine several years ago.

After all gauges were removed the cluster housing paint was stripped. I'm not sure this is absolutely necessary to do. A good cleaning may suffice.

The gauge bezel's silver finish was done by using blue masking tape to mask off the thin top edge of the chrome face reveal. A short strip of tape is applied, then a single edge razor blade used to trim off the overhanging inside/outside tape excess, then continued all the way around the periphery of the bezel.

Single strips of masking tape were used to mask off the cluster body. At the lower edge of the bezel where it meets the cluster body, an X-acto knife was used to carefully cut and follow around the radius the excess tape from around the bezel base. After the paint dried there were a couple of tiny bleed through's of silver paint onto the cluster body at the edge of masking tape and bezel base. A small artist's brush was used to touch these up with black paint.

The raised letters were painted over as the cluster body was sprayed black. After about an hour or two of drying time, a Starbucks coffee stir stick, cut with a square end, was used to rub the paint off the top of the letters to reveal the chrome underneath.

The black paint used was SEM Trim Black. The silver paint came from Corvette America. I tried several different silver paints. The CA paint came closest to the original color, IMO.
Attached Images       
Old 12-20-2014, 11:19 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the tips mrg but I got my bezel painted a few weeks ago. Amazingly my process was much like yours. Right down to the trimming of the tape around the gauge openings.

I think I used Krylon "dull aluminum" paint for the frosting and masked and painted and masked and painted and then I masked and painted some more. I guess it looks okay. The SEM paint is a little flatter or more satin than I prefer but I had no choice at this point as all of the other black painted surfaces in the interior had the SEM paint applied to them.

One thing is for sure. There will never be a key chain used in this car again. I wish there was a way I could tastefully rig a push button where the key switch is.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:58 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Apart from the masking required to get the bezel painted I didn't think "restoring" the cluster was that bad.
Before:

After:

Before:

After:
Old 02-07-2015, 03:54 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Awesome job!!!
Old 02-07-2015, 05:04 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Is it SEM Trim Black number 39143 you use?
Old 02-07-2015, 11:40 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TheSaint
Is it SEM Trim Black number 39143 you use?
It is. I've painted the glove box door, console and finally the gauge cluster with the same paint. If I had it to do over again I might have go with something a little shinier. However, I do think the interior will look quite nice with the 39143.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:07 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Sorry if this was covered elsewhere, but, why did the TAC redline change?
Old 02-08-2015, 10:09 AM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by corvetteed
Sorry if this was covered elsewhere, but, why did the TAC redline change?
I just love a good catch. The reason the tach redline changed is because not only did GM put the wrong engine in my car they also put the wrong tachometer! Can you believe that? For some crazy reason the car originally (and obviously mistakingly) had either a 250 or 300 horsepower engine when it should have had a 365 horsepower engine. I figure even though it's taken 50 years it's time that a huge wrong be righted.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:58 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice catch mudbone, good thing you righted things, don't forget the 67 hood with 327 on it. The factory forgot to install some of those.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:57 AM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

I just love a good catch. The reason the tach redline changed is because not only did GM put the wrong engine in my car they also put the wrong tachometer! Can you believe that? For some crazy reason the car originally (and obviously mistakingly) had either a 250 or 300 horsepower engine when it should have had a 365 horsepower engine. I figure even though it's taken 50 years it's time that a huge wrong be righted.
Huh? You're joking right?

Get notified of new replies

To Project "Peer Pressure"

Old 02-09-2015, 08:08 AM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
Nice catch mudbone, good thing you righted things, don't forget the 67 hood with 327 on it. The factory forgot to install some of those.
What can say but I'm a man who's committed to his search for the truth? Maybe I should just say I'm a man that needs to be committed. Holy smokes! I can't believe I almost overlooked the hood! Oh well, not enough money in the kitty for a '67 big block hood. Guess I'll have to stick with the lowly '64 hood.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:19 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I found a 66 BB Hood and it will find it's way to my 327 powered 66. I just like the look and it is mine, good enough for me. The factory hood can hold in reserve for a future lover of original parts.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:44 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Though I haven't updated the thread in a while the project is still proceeding. I've reconditioned my clock to much the same level as the gauges, I'm in the process of completely building the parking brake assembly (cables, levers etc.) and I'm also installing new windshield trim clips.

As you guys can see from the previous pages I had the lower windshield frame replaced and in doing so I didn't properly document where the windshield trim clips go. I have the old metal so I'm not totally lost but there's a couple of things I don't understand. I ordered the trim clips from Paragon and they come in a set of eleven. Some of the other vendors appear to sell a set of 12 so which number of clips is correct? Does anyone have a front view or any other good view of the clips I could use to count the total number and their position? I also bought these from Paragon:
https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...ainer-kit.aspx
Do these just slide into the outer windshield trim with one of the tabs fitting into a hole in the a-pillar? I've searched and searched for some pictures of both clips but so far haven't got what I'm needing so any help is appreciated.

Quick Reply: Project "Peer Pressure"