C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

59 Hardtop Fit Update - Finally fixed it After 53 years

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Audiophobe
Absolutely! I was thinking about after seeing what you did and the pics that illustrated it.
Assembly lines back then didn't have robots that repicate an action exactly and perfectly every time (and don't get tired). I just assumed that everything would be done to "spec" like now.
BTW, my window looks just like yours did before you fixed it so I wouldn't be surprised if I have the same problem.
Thanks!
No kidding! And the little nagging stuff can lead to crazy discoveries. E.g. I couldn't get my upper, outer stainless door garnish (that runs along the bottom of the window to fit correctly). Simple problem right. Well -- it wouldn't fit because the driver's side door post was barely 'cocked' clockwise a bit. In troubleshooting that I found out the 'pin' that holds the door post in place at the rear had chewed through the fiberglass slot.

THEN, with some help from a buddy, Mike Coletta, we determined that the door post vertical extension deep in the door was twisted (God only knows how). We bent it as much as we dared and got it close but the final solution was to weld two 'nubs' on the back to '****' it back the right way. Put everything back together, fixed the fiberglass and the molding fits like factory now !

Quick Reply: 59 Hardtop Fit Update - Finally fixed it After 53 years