C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is this guy for real?? 62 FS

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:31 AM
65specialk
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Is this guy for real?? 62 FS

Steering gear tooth was welded to repair rusted tooth?? This is ilegal or it should be. Is the cost of a steering box more than someone life?? Dave

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...91272585#v4-44
Old 02-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 65specialk
Steering gear tooth was welded to repair rusted tooth?? This is ilegal or it should be. Is the cost of a steering box more than someone life?? Dave

At least he was decent enough to disclose it so a purchaser knows what he is getting into...but I do agree that's really an unacceptable fix..
Old 02-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Lou64
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't seen a C1 with triple tail lights. I thought that people only did that to C2's. Learn something new everyday.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:19 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Lou64
Haven't seen a C1 with triple tail lights. I thought that people only did that to C2's. Learn something new everyday.
Six tail lights started with the '61s. It's Chevy's fault, leaving all that blank space between the license plate and the inboard lights. But if they centered them, the rear end would have looked fat. Kalifornia Kustomizers took care of the situation, all the way through '67.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:42 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Acceptable repair method..............for a Tractor, sounds like they almost know what they are doing, if it was heat treated to restore the temper following welding then that would be a good method. Which is how a good tractor or backhoe shop would do it.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:49 PM
corvette-62
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The owner has had the car for 10 years did all the work described and never put a drive shaft or rear brakes on this '62?? Something doesn't sound right.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:35 PM
C6Matt
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It sounded like the 9" was this years project and so the old driveshaft and brakes were not finished on the rear end swap.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:02 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by John S 1961
Acceptable repair method..............for a Tractor, sounds like they almost know what they are doing, if it was heat treated to restore the temper following welding then that would be a good method. Which is how a good tractor or backhoe shop would do it.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
...but I do agree that's really an unacceptable fix..
If done correctly, why exactly ?

This was SOP procedure before the re-pop stuff came out and the market was flooded with good columns from restomod conversions.

A lot of you guys that are newer to the Corvette hobby don't realize how lucky you have it being able to have almost any part readily available with just a phone call.

Originally Posted by corvette-62
Something doesn't sound right.
I believe, it's mostly your reading and/or comprehension skills.

He even explains how he earlier refurbished the OE brakes as an earlier project. The nine inch was explained as later unfinished project.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 PM
TopLess62
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 65specialk

As I said in the ad and in my responses to you...there was a bad SPOT in a worm gear...it wasn't like we replaced the entire gear.

If you don't like the repaired status...replace it...if not, leave it alone. Your profile says you've been involved with Vettes since 2006...that's great...Me...I've got 25 years of Corvettes under my belt. I just might know a couple of things that you don't.

I thought that being completely honest about my car and the things that have been done by me and by past owners was a good thing...now I can see that honesty is not the best policy since even my detractors lie.

How about some pics of that '62 Fuel car you have that you bragged up to me in the emails? You said you were interested in my car until you read about the column....was that another lie?

Do you still beat your wife?

Its guys like you that make people put crap cars on line for sale with no details and take sucker's money...I guess I have learned my lesson.

Thanks for wasting my time and everyone else's...
Old 02-29-2012, 09:09 PM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with the repair, but even if I did, so what? The guy deserves big kudos for being so damn honest about everything he's done.

Try to find another car of this vintage where the owner goes to this level of detail on the work he's performed. Especially on Ebay!

Some people are too quick to throw stones.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Plastic Pig
If done correctly, why exactly ?

This was SOP procedure before the re-pop stuff came out and the market was flooded with good columns from restomod conversions.

A lot of you guys that are newer to the Corvette hobby don't realize how lucky you have it being able to have almost any part readily available with just a phone call.

Probably been tinkering on old cars north of 40 years...and yes I lived through the era of no repro parts and then crappy overseas parts and now only an occasional crappy part. I DID give the seller top marks for full disclosure and the repair is unacceptable (to me)...others may be fine with it....I would swap it out..

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-29-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,112 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by TopLess62
As I said in the ad and in my responses to you...there was a bad SPOT in a worm gear...it wasn't like we replaced the entire gear.

If you don't like the repaired status...replace it...if not, leave it alone. Your profile says you've been involved with Vettes since 2006...that's great...Me...I've got 25 years of Corvettes under my belt. I just might know a couple of things that you don't.

I thought that being completely honest about my car and the things that have been done by me and by past owners was a good thing...now I can see that honesty is not the best policy since even my detractors lie.

How about some pics of that '62 Fuel car you have that you bragged up to me in the emails? You said you were interested in my car until you read about the column....was that another lie?

Do you still beat your wife?

Its guys like you that make people put crap cars on line for sale with no details and take sucker's money...I guess I have learned my lesson.

Thanks for wasting my time and everyone else's...
Seems like a lot of guys think it's great sport to question sellers, nitpick and criticize when they have absolutely no intention of buying.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:19 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

I like the description but it is almost too honest I commend you for placing such an ad but I think thats why you are not getting any bites yet . You have a very decent car and is well worth the buy now price . Too bad its not a 58/60 I have a customer that wants me to build a restomod and a car like yours would be perfect
Old 02-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,112 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by paulywannafly
I like the description but it is almost too honest I commend you for placing such an ad but I think thats why you are not getting any bites yet . You have a very decent car and is well worth the buy now price . Too bad its not a 58/60 I have a customer that wants me to build a restomod and a car like yours would be perfect
No such thing as Too Honest.

Unless you are a used car salesman
Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 PM
americanretrodave
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the car is priced well and will offer the lucky buyer a lot of joy. In '69 when I bought my first vette, a '59, I loved that front end treatment. I didn't do it, but I have to say, I thought it was cool. I'm not sure what the big deal is on the steering, if you don't like it, replace it, it's not a big job.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:37 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
No such thing as Too Honest.

Unless you are a used car salesman
jeeze what are you ? the post cop? maybe a better choice of words would be candid , is that better ? BTY I have been dealing in Corvettes for 33 years Buying restoring rebuilding them and SELLING them every thing I do is above board and have a large customer base a reputation for being an honest guy . So I guess I am just a used car salesman in your eyes. Also my 67 Split window is for sale If I were trying to hide anything I would not have posted the entire build as I have done with all my builds.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this guy for real?? 62 FS

Old 02-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Probably been tinkering on old cars north of 40 years...and yes I lived through the era of no repro parts and then crappy overseas parts and now only an occasional crappy part. I DID give the seller top marks for full disclosure and the repair is unacceptable (to me)...others may be fine with it....I would swap it out..
Today I would swap it out too. What would you have done when there were no re-pops out there and no OE stuff produced in years ? Park the car ?

I remember in the 80's early 90's when a good column could fetch $1000-1500 if you could find one and I've welded a few myself.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:25 AM
Stingraykev
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

That's right Pete, tell them the truth, tell them that's it a CRS vette owned by Ed Cole who raced it in Le mans in 62, then sold it to Bill Mitchell for one dollar...and that the third tail light was Larry Shinoda idea...and that Zora made you weld that tooth back on as to handle his cams...and that the ford 9" was from the ex122...

You tell the truth Pete...
Oh, and tell that thief, 65specialk to give me back my avatar...
Old 03-01-2012, 06:51 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Plastic Pig
Today I would swap it out too. What would you have done when there were no re-pops out there and no OE stuff produced in years ? Park the car ?
What's your point ? Back in the day I rode motorcycles at 130MPH with no helmet on city streets and played 'chicken' with other dumb @sses in their 'beater' cars. Of course I would have driven this...

If this repair should break today and some poor soul got injured you will get to meet a lot of nice people in $2,000 suits who will want your money.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-01-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Is this guy for real?? 62 FS