C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Are Pro-Touring Cars Respected on the C1/C2 Forum?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 01:07 AM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

deleted

Last edited by uxojerry; 01-25-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:30 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Too late.

All C1-C2s are respected here.

So are most of the owners.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 01-25-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:25 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
Too late.

All C1-C2s are respected here.

So are most of the owners.

Yeah, right. I think it's a good thing this thread was deleted
Old 01-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me stoke the fire a little.

There is some that are purist (NCRS) type matching number only

There is also some that like the original look, but don't have the matching number etc, etc.

There is also some that will mod the car to their taste, and drive/enjoy the classic lines that we all love.

I believe that there is room for all of us, We may look at something and like or dislike the mod or workmanship, but try to respect the time/blood/sweat/tears or money that the individual spent.

Peace to all.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:26 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by aussieross01
Yeah, right. I think it's a good thing this thread was deleted

You are correct.

I should have said "most" on both counts.

The rest are ridiculed mercilessly.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
You are correct.

I should have said "most" on both counts.

The rest are ridiculed mercilessly.

You are probably right, but it makes for a interesting topic.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

cars are but some of the owners who think there car is the best thing since sliced bread is not. and that guy who thinks all mid years should be a blue 67 435 convertible
Old 01-25-2012, 08:00 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Beach Dude
Let me stoke the fire a little.

There is some that are purist (NCRS) type matching number only

There is also some that like the original look, but don't have the matching number etc, etc.

There is also some that will mod the car to their taste, and drive/enjoy the classic lines that we all love.

I believe that there is room for all of us, We may look at something and like or dislike the mod or workmanship, but try to respect the time/blood/sweat/tears or money that the individual spent.

Peace to all.
Amen!!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Tevroc98
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I found that most of the purist and most of the ****'s @ncrs are arogant about there cars being "correct". Where as restomod guys are more open minded as to what has been done to any of the cars. IMO
Old 01-25-2012, 08:35 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Tevroc98
I found that most of the purist and most of the ****'s @ncrs are arogant about there cars being "correct". Where as restomod guys are more open minded as to what has been done to any of the cars. IMO
I think that's an unfair generalization, but if it's been your experience, that's really too bad.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:58 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
I think that's an unfair generalization, but if it's been your experience, that's really too bad.
I have to agree (partially) with the comment. ALTHOUGH, There has definitely been a change (for the better) in NCRS's viewpoint toward NON-numbers/correct Corvettes.
There is NO doubt whatsoever that MANY owners of non correct Corvettes have been turned off and they have turned away because of NCRS's earlier arogant attitude that if it isn't "Correctly restored, numbers matching, we're not interested in you".
That is NOT an opinion on my part, that is personal observation and personal experience by me. I've been an NCRS member, and continue to be, for over 32yrs. Also, I have often been quite outspoken toward NCRS about their attitude toward non correct and/or modified Corvettes and their owners.
Again, I repeat, their attitude has changed for the better in recent years, BUUUUUUUUUUUUT, there is still some of the "old guard" alive and well within NCRS. And when a recent Vette owner comes in contact with these people, they are quickly turned off.
Keep in mind, "one bad apple can spoil the whole barrell".
Most of you know that I have a considerably modified 56, but I have attempted to maintain the basic 56-57 appearance, plus MOST of the added changes are genuine Corvette parts.

Tom Parsons

Last edited by DZAUTO; 01-25-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Tevroc98
Melting Slicks

I was treated with COMPLETE disrespect and embarrassed by those people. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'd burn my Correct 67 ,my truck and my Featherlite trailer to the ground before I'd ever have anything to do with them. I do everything I can to discourage Vette guys from joining them.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:20 PM
2th farmer
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 6-8-9 Veteran

I have been and am on both sides of this discussion. I have shown two NCRS cars and thoroughly enjoyed it. I went into the first experience with reservation thinking these NCRS guys were a bunch of **** fixated nerds. Nothing could have been further from the truth. GREAT experience....GREAT bunch of guys.
I now have "evolved" into more of a performance driving enthusiast. My 67 is a resto-mod and I love it! I am sure this kind of car isn't a purists dream but, there is room for both here and everywhere we go.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:54 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

There is room for all of us within our chosen hobby.

The real challenge is getting some here on this forum to show some respect for others who go about their corvette experience from a different perspective.

It's not hard, just common courtesy.

If the hobby is to survive, and this forum is survive, we all need to get along.
After all, a lot of us are Corvette fanatics, so there's plenty of common ground.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:45 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I started this thread and deleted my original post. Restraint of pen and tongue is easy to say, harder to practice.

I bought a half completed modded car six months ago. I had to drive it from Fl to Tx. The car received lots of attention on the way. The average age of interested parties was 55+. I went to Wal Mart in my home town to pick up a couple of things. As I was walking away, a car screeched to a halt near my C2 and a 16yr old jumped out of the car his mother was driving, to get a closer look. I turned around to go back and talk to the kid. As I approached, he apologized to me. He thought I was going to chew him out for getting too close to my car. "Hey, you kids get off my lawn" is an attitude we should guard against.

NCRS and C1/C2 purists could and should try to influence SEMA type builds, rather than condemn and ridicule them. Some builds do go over the top and tear up cars worth restoring. That 16yr old is the future. SEMA gains popularity every year. Most SEMA people are Mom and Pop American businesses. Example - I bought an ISIS wiring system for my build. The ISIS people emailed me from SEMA that they had met and talked to my mechanic and thought he was capable of a great installation of their system.

My car is in a shop surrounded by old Camaros and Mustangs. I could have saved $40k by choosing either one. The cost of mods are the same for any car selected. When the car is completed, my C2 will not be worth $40k more than a Camaro, it might actually be worth less. I selected a C2 because I fell in love with the Sting Ray when I was 16, just like the kid at Wal Mart.

I studied this Forum for two years prior to starting my project. I didnt say anything because I didnt have a C2. I studied each build and most importantly read forum member opinions of each build. Those opinions greatly influenced my build decisions. NCRS members and purists input is important, to build a car that honors Corvette history and tradition. It is often hard to identify valuable input as it is hidden between posts of the following:

1. Dont waste your money, buy a completed project where the other fool has spent all of the money.
2. Dont chop up a piece of American History.
3. Restoration is the only way forward, modding is a foolish endeavor and a giant waste of money.

It would be easy for NCRS members and purists to establish build elements that they could selectively support. If a build follows the guidelines, it should be supported. The rules are already on the forum, but scattered in various places. Summary of NCRS/Purist build opinions:

1. Mods should focus improved handling and performance.
2. Mods should not drastically change the appearance or original lines of the car.
3. Mods should avoid the over the top "G Machine" type builds
4. Mods should start with a non-restorable car. The term non-restorable is subject to some debate.

Lastly, I spend most of my time on the C3 forum as the tent has a more friendly atmosphere. A guy recently installed a new GM LS9 (ZR-1) motor, into his 1970 convertible. He even installed the glass window in his hood like the ZR-1. All C3 posts were positive and applauded his efforts. Is it possible to establish a more friendly atmosphere on this forum?
Old 01-26-2012, 12:05 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I was treated with COMPLETE disrespect and embarrassed by those people. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'd burn my Correct 67 ,my truck and my Featherlite trailer to the ground before I'd ever have anything to do with them. I do everything I can to discourage Vette guys from joining them.
As a member of several years, I am very sorry that you feel that way. Some of the most helpful and knowledgeable people who I have ever met on this forum, the NCRS forum, and in person are members.
Some of my closest car buddies are also members, we like and own all kinds of Vettes and other cars.
If ever I can help out with anything, let me know, hopefully in time we may change your opinion a little..

Paul
Old 01-26-2012, 12:24 AM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by uxojerry
I started this thread and deleted my original post. Restraint of pen and tongue is easy to say, harder to practice.

I bought a half completed modded car six months ago. I had to drive it from Fl to Tx. The car received lots of attention on the way. The average age of interested parties was 55+. I went to Wal Mart in my home town to pick up a couple of things. As I was walking away, a car screeched to a halt near my C2 and a 16yr old jumped out of the car his mother was driving, to get a closer look. I turned around to go back and talk to the kid. As I approached, he apologized to me. He thought I was going to chew him out for getting too close to my car. "Hey, you kids get off my lawn" is an attitude we should guard against.

NCRS and C1/C2 purists could and should try to influence SEMA type builds, rather than condemn and ridicule them. Some builds do go over the top and tear up cars worth restoring. That 16yr old is the future. SEMA gains popularity every year. Most SEMA people are Mom and Pop American businesses. Example - I bought an ISIS wiring system for my build. The ISIS people emailed me from SEMA that they had met and talked to my mechanic and thought he was capable of a great installation of their system.

My car is in a shop surrounded by old Camaros and Mustangs. I could have saved $40k by choosing either one. The cost of mods are the same for any car selected. When the car is completed, my C2 will not be worth $40k more than a Camaro, it might actually be worth less. I selected a C2 because I fell in love with the Sting Ray when I was 16, just like the kid at Wal Mart.

I studied this Forum for two years prior to starting my project. I didnt say anything because I didnt have a C2. I studied each build and most importantly read forum member opinions of each build. Those opinions greatly influenced my build decisions. NCRS members and purists input is important, to build a car that honors Corvette history and tradition. It is often hard to identify valuable input as it is hidden between posts of the following:

1. Dont waste your money, buy a completed project where the other fool has spent all of the money.
2. Dont chop up a piece of American History.
3. Restoration is the only way forward, modding is a foolish endeavor and a giant waste of money.

It would be easy for NCRS members and purists to establish build elements that they could selectively support. If a build follows the guidelines, it should be supported. The rules are already on the forum, but scattered in various places. Summary of NCRS/Purist build opinions:

1. Mods should focus improved handling and performance.
2. Mods should not drastically change the appearance or original lines of the car.
3. Mods should avoid the over the top "G Machine" type builds
4. Mods should start with a non-restorable car. The term non-restorable is subject to some debate.

Lastly, I spend most of my time on the C3 forum as the tent has a more friendly atmosphere. A guy recently installed a new GM LS9 (ZR-1) motor, into his 1970 convertible. He even installed the glass window in his hood like the ZR-1. All C3 posts were positive and applauded his efforts. Is it possible to establish a more friendly atmosphere on this forum?
Uxojerry

Good luck trying to establish a more friendly atmosphere under this C1-C2 tent.
I seldom log on these days. Got tired of going to war, and dealing with people that haven't got a clue, but think they do.

Perhaps you should have bought a C3 instead.

Get notified of new replies

To Are Pro-Touring Cars Respected on the C1/C2 Forum?

Old 01-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Tevroc98
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
As a member of several years, I am very sorry that you feel that way. Some of the most helpful and knowledgeable people who I have ever met on this forum, the NCRS forum, and in person are members.
Some of my closest car buddies are also members, we like and own all kinds of Vettes and other cars.
If ever I can help out with anything, let me know, hopefully in time we may change your opinion a little..

Paul
Paul, Thanks for extending a helping hand. But I WILL never change my mind about those people. If I did to you what they did to me you would feel the same way. I had friends with me that day that aren't into Corvettes and they could not believe how I was treated. As long as you have people like "Cliff Clavin" of Delfi Packard there, they'll lose people on their own. You KNOW who I'm talking about!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Ernie67
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always lied an original car. While I cannot afford to bring my car to NCRS specs, I joined in order to use as a guideline. I cannot see being a slave to dull door jambs and no A/C!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Tevroc98
Melting Slicks

Ernie I agree. An old timer told me looong time ago. "Forget those car shows and just enjoy your car on the road and take it to car cruises . You'll be alot happier." He was 100% right.

Quick Reply: Are Pro-Touring Cars Respected on the C1/C2 Forum?