C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The car is packed and Europe awaits

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 02:58 PM
isac
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSaint
Language is not a problem in Scandinavia Jack.
Everybody under 60 speaks and write english
I agree , people who speaks english tend to gradually decrease the further south and east you go in Europe, in particular small villages and on the countryside , most understands a bit, but It's hard to have a conversation with them, but it works somehow anyway.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Don't get me wrong Jack - I'm very well traveled in Europe for both business and pleasure...Holland, Italy, France Spain, Switzerland, Germany and Turkey -- even spoke at the Hague once. I just can't imagine being over there with a 45+ year old car... Don't waste your Italian on me....I can barely parley in Spanish even though I had tres anos in escuela studying it...
Old 02-01-2012, 05:18 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Sounds like a fantastic trip! I can't wait to see the pics!

Have a great time!!!

Cheers,
JB
Old 02-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackfit
OH Great! Just me and my car.....in Norway.......a few miles away.....

This trip is going to be a lot of fun.

The shielding for my car comes in a few days......

It is going to need to be polished......

Jack
I don't think so.

It should be nice and shiny as in like new. I wanted to make sure you get a pictured with a not good but great looking blond lady polishing it back to it's original luster once you get a few miles on. One not to be shared with others, just me...
Old 02-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default I here by nominate .......

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Don't get me wrong Jack - I'm very well traveled in Europe for both business and pleasure...Holland, Italy, France Spain, Switzerland, Germany and Turkey -- even spoke at the Hague once. I just can't imagine being over there with a 45+ year old car... Don't waste your Italian on me....I can barely parley in Spanish even though I had tres anos in escuela studying it...
I do take you very seriously Frankie.....

You are one of the first team members......

I nominate you for the post of:

" Chief in Charge of Security "

Duties to include all of the concerns voiced in previous posts

Duties may also include personal security inspections in exotic places

Forum members the vote is up to you........

Should I trust my car's security to Frankie the Fink......?

Just " Yes " if you agree

If " No " have at him.......
Old 02-01-2012, 09:15 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Jack,
NO...Since you are hiring a full time security person for yourself and the car's protection, I'll nominate myself. I have the background in law enforcement and have great knowledge of midyear Corvette's.

Rick
P.S. Former firearms instructor and pistol team member. Also involved in protection services of high profile politicians, entertainers and business executives when they stayed at our towns 5 star hotel.

P.S.S. When do we leave?
Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 PM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 271 Likes on 129 Posts

Jack,

Something to think about (if you are a beer guy): on your first leg (heading to Paris) stop and visit the Trappish monks (in Belgium) for some Westvleteren 12. It looks like you will be in the general area and it's well worth the trip.

http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/home.htm

If you want, the offer for my European maps stands -- just PM where to send them and they are yours - gratis.

I must admit being green with envy. Have a outstanding trip and give yourself plenty of time.

Perhaps one day I'll be able to take my resto-mod on Nordschleife. Hey, I can dream.

-- Joe
Old 02-02-2012, 03:37 AM
svein1962
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Europe 2012

You have to visit the most beautiful part of eorope---Norway-specially the north of Norway with Tromsoe and Cape North and the Lofoten area. The nature and the midnight sun are fantastic.
Check out North of Norrway before you decide where to drive.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default The Truth My Norwegian is ?

Originally Posted by TheSaint
Great Norwegian Jack
Good Afternoon,

I am using the translator program that is in Google. Just type in English and it writes in any language that you want.

I am using it to learn. So......back to work and planing

Cheers

Jack

God ettermiddag,

Jeg bruker oversetteren program som er i Google. Bare skriv på engelsk og den skriver i alle språk du ønsker.

Jeg bruker den til å lære. Så ...... tilbake til arbeid og høvling

Skål

Jack
Old 02-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default You are really far north

Originally Posted by svein1962
You have to visit the most beautiful part of eorope---Norway-specially the north of Norway with Tromsoe and Cape North and the Lofoten area. The nature and the midnight sun are fantastic.
Check out North of Norrway before you decide where to drive.
Hi ,

How many Kilometers is Tromsoe from Oslo. If you look at my map

and I drive along the coast . From Tromsoe, can I drive east to Finland and then south to Helsinki . How do I get from Finland back to Stockholm?

Do I have to drive across Estonia etc, or can I drive / Ferry to Sweden? What will the weather be August 24 - 30 . Any trouble with snow ice ?

Hei,

Montako kilometriä Tromsoe Oslosta. Jos katsot minun kartta

ja minä ajaa pitkin rannikkoa. Vuodesta Tromsoe, voin ajaa itään Suomen ja sitten etelään Helsinkiin. Miten saan Suomi takaisin Tukholmaan?

Täytyykö minun ajaa yli Viron jne., vai voinko ajaa / Ferry Ruotsiin?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...=m&z=4&vpsrc=6

Jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 02-02-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by ricks327
Jack,
NO...Since you are hiring a full time security person for yourself and the car's protection, I'll nominate myself. I have the background in law enforcement and have great knowledge of midyear Corvette's.

Rick
P.S. Former firearms instructor and pistol team member. Also involved in protection services of high profile politicians, entertainers and business executives when they stayed at our towns 5 star hotel.

P.S.S. When do we leave?
A little overkill I think - Europe is incredibly safe...safer than most US metropolitan areas...that is concerning violent crime. However purse snatching, pick pockets, theft in general is a popular past time in some areas.
I'll be interested to see how he works out the logistics and vintage vette issues for his overseas trip.

Frankie
Old 02-02-2012, 08:23 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Where to Park and Lock ?

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
A little overkill I think - Europe is incredibly safe...safer than most US metropolitan areas...that is concerning violent crime. However purse snatching, pick pockets, theft in general is a popular past time in some areas.
I'll be interested to see how he works out the logistics and vintage vette issues for his overseas trip.

Frankie
So will I be interested. I am concerned about parking and leaving the car alone. I will try to stay on a rural routes as I had done in the US. I will take a train into any big city that has points of interest, but will be difficult to park or drive the car.

Many of the forum members who I may visit will show me the ropes and where to go and where not to go.

It will be a great challenge.........

I still have some work to do on the car and as I prep the car...I will do posts on that aspect of the trip....

Then the other topics of shipping , insurance etc. I will share my research , so that others may learn what to do......if they want to go on a European trip.

It seems that many more Europeans bring their cars here for trips than Americans taking their cars to Europe.

Wonder why? Are they more adventurous....does it cost less to come here then to go there?

It should be a great learning experience for all of us

Jack
Old 02-02-2012, 12:11 PM
ktm67
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi ,

How many Kilometers is Tromsoe from Oslo. If you look at my map

and I drive along the coast . From Tromsoe, can I drive east to Finland and then south to Helsinki . How do I get from Finland back to Stockholm?

Do I have to drive across Estonia etc, or can I drive / Ferry to Sweden? What will the weather be August 24 - 30 . Any trouble with snow ice ?

Hei,

Montako kilometriä Tromsoe Oslosta. Jos katsot minun kartta

ja minä ajaa pitkin rannikkoa. Vuodesta Tromsoe, voin ajaa itään Suomen ja sitten etelään Helsinkiin. Miten saan Suomi takaisin Tukholmaan?

Täytyykö minun ajaa yli Viron jne., vai voinko ajaa / Ferry Ruotsiin?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...=m&z=4&vpsrc=6

Jack
Ok, if you driving as far as Tromsö and then to Finland you can stop at Oulu on your trip to Helsinki. I will send you PM.

You can take ferry from Helsinki to Stockholm or drive to Turku and take ferry there to Stockholm.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default It seems like I will be driving in God's Country

Originally Posted by ktm67
Ok, if you driving as far as Tromsö and then to Finland you can stop at Oulu on your trip to Helsinki. I will send you PM.

You can take ferry from Helsinki to Stockholm or drive to Turku and take ferry there to Stockholm.
Hi,

The route I am projecting from Norway to Finland to Sweden looks like it goes through some very isolated areas.......

I am going to assume the roads are good.... and that Scandinavian members will come and rescue me for the cold and wild north.

I drive my car all winter..... but how cold and what will the weather conditions be Aug 20 - August 30

Jack

I am using a translator program on Google to lean language

hi,

De route Ik ben het projecteren van Noorwegen naar Finland naar Zweden eruit ziet alsof hij gaat door een aantal zeer afgelegen gebieden .......

Ik ga ervan uit te gaan de wegen goed zijn .... en dat de Scandinavische leden zullen komen en redding me voor de koude en wilde naar het noorden.

Ik rijd mijn auto de hele winter ..... maar hoe koud en wat zal de weersomstandigheden gelijk 20 augustus-30 augustus

krik
Old 02-02-2012, 02:10 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I would strongly agree with this.......and eat at the only restaurant on Isola Comasina. You have to take a gondola over to the island...and he will pick you up again in about 4 hours

IF you decide to use the Autobahn, I would advise that you replace ALL of your wheel bearings prior to your trip. You won't find any over there, and high speeds are MUCH higher than here in the US, so I would think about a 3.36 (at least) or a 3.08 rear end for this trip.
as far as spare parts go there are couple really good Corvette shops along the Autobahns. My couple of favorites are:
http://acp-euskirchen.de/

The owner, Jorg has been working on Corvettes for 30+ years now and he really knows them inside out. He takes his personal C3 to work every day and does 180-190 on the autobahn, he says that's the only way to start a day. Really cool guys, with lots of in-house made stuff, like brembo brake set ups for C1/2/3's, electronic power steering kits for C2/3 etc...

Other good one is: http://www.corvette-malburg.de/company/main.htm
Another die hard vette nut. His got Zip-like selection of Corvette parts in store. Nice show room and he's also very nice and likes to talk a lot!

There's couple more like Kubacheck and Geiger etc that will help you out. But the first two are worth visiting even if the car is running fine.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:19 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Hi,

The route I am projecting from Norway to Finland to Sweden looks like it goes through some very isolated areas.......

I am going to assume the roads are good.... and that Scandinavian members will come and rescue me for the cold and wild north.

I drive my car all winter..... but how cold and what will the weather conditions be Aug 20 - August 30

Jack

I am using a translator program on Google to lean language

hi,

De route Ik ben het projecteren van Noorwegen naar Finland naar Zweden eruit ziet alsof hij gaat door een aantal zeer afgelegen gebieden .......

Ik ga ervan uit te gaan de wegen goed zijn .... en dat de Scandinavische leden zullen komen en redding me voor de koude en wilde naar het noorden.

Ik rijd mijn auto de hele winter ..... maar hoe koud en wat zal de weersomstandigheden gelijk 20 augustus-30 augustus

krik
Roads are in pretty decent condition in Scandinavia. If you decide to go up north to visit KTM67 (which you should) you'll see totally different side of the country. We've been very lucky with the weather for the last few years and it's been pushing 90s throughout July-August... It usually starts to cool down late September or so. As far as your safety and your car safety, you don't need to worry. I always leave my keys in the ignition so I don't loose them. Who would want to steal an old american car...? Car theft around here is not a problem. Nor is theft in anyway. Same with Norway, Sweden has few bigger cities that have few bad areas, but that's about it.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:45 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I would strongly agree with this.......and eat at the only restaurant on Isola Comasina. You have to take a gondola over to the island...and he will pick you up again in about 4 hours
This would be the only thing I would be worried about. Having to leave the car somewhere unknown for a period of time while I was trying to have fun. I would think the car would draw attention just like it does here in the States, maybe even more so. I just go in a store for 10 minutes and when I come out there is usually someone standing at my car checking it out.

Get notified of new replies

To The car is packed and Europe awaits

Old 02-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Kurkis
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jack when you are driving down from KTM67 towards Helsinki and Groovyjay I can offer a place to stay and have few Corvettes and owner around for few beers. A nice location by a lake near city of Tampere.

Norwegian coast is really nice all the way up north. Northern Finland is exotic for anyone. Roads are nice. We have several Corvette guys even up north.

Taking the boat from Turku or Helsinki to Stockholm is a good idea.

I would not worry about parking or safety. Naturally anything can happen, but it's highly unlikely.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:59 PM
isac
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So will I be interested. I am concerned about parking and leaving the car alone. I will try to stay on a rural routes as I had done in the US. I will take a train into any big city that has points of interest, but will be difficult to park or drive the car.

Many of the forum members who I may visit will show me the ropes and where to go and where not to go.

It will be a great challenge.........

I still have some work to do on the car and as I prep the car...I will do posts on that aspect of the trip....

Then the other topics of shipping , insurance etc. I will share my research , so that others may learn what to do......if they want to go on a European trip.

It seems that many more Europeans bring their cars here for trips than Americans taking their cars to Europe.

Wonder why? Are they more adventurous....does it cost less to come here then to go there?

It should be a great learning experience for all of us

Jack

I don't think we Scandinavians are more adventurous than Americans , but one big reason is the exchange rate , It's quite cheap for us to buy $ and has been so for atleast 7-8 years now. I have been in the states 6 times in 10 years for that reason , just for road trips and visiting friends.

However, I find it more easy to travel on your own in the US than doing the same in Europe , In the US you find decent and cheap motels everywhere ( even in Stowpipe Wells in Death Valley) and no language barriers, cheap gas too , Of course, we have hotels and the bed&breakfast stuff over here as well ,but if you not have been over here before, It can be quite different what you are used to , and we've not talked about the gas prices over here yet.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default That is what an adventure is all about

Originally Posted by isac
I don't think we Scandinavians are more adventurous than Americans , but one big reason is the exchange rate , It's quite cheap for us to buy $ and has been so for atleast 7-8 years now. I have been in the states 6 times in 10 years for that reason , just for road trips and visiting friends.

However, I find it more easy to travel on your own in the US than doing the same in Europe , In the US you find decent and cheap motels everywhere ( even in Stowpipe Wells in Death Valley) and no language barriers, cheap gas too , Of course, we have hotels and the bed&breakfast stuff over here as well ,but if you not have been over here before, It can be quite different what you are used to , and we've not talked about the gas prices over here yet.

Thank you for all the tips......As far as gas goes...I have estimated my cost at $1 per mile to drive my car. I hope to cover 10,000 kilometers or 6,000 miles......

I will be looking at all items on my list......to make sure that things go well .......as I prepare the car for the trip......I will post information about travel, shipping, support...insurance and all the little items that need to be addressed.

The experience of the many Europeans in Northern Europe makes me feel somewhat comfortable....about the trip.. and I will have my tent and sleeping bag.

I guess I just have to be careful that I am not eaten by a wolf..

It should be a hell of a time.....

Jack

PS does this translation say the same thing I said above ?

Tack för alla tips ...... När det gäller gas går ... jag har uppskattat min kostnad på $ 1 per mil att köra min bil. Jag hoppas att omfatta 10.000 kilometer eller 6000 miles ......

Jag kommer att titta på alla objekt på min lista ...... att se till att det går bra ....... som jag förbereda bilen för resan ...... Jag kommer att publicera information om resor , sjöfart, stöd ... försäkringar och alla de små saker som behöver åtgärdas.

Erfarenheterna från många européer i norra Europa gör mig ganska bekväm .... om resan .. och jag kommer att ha mitt tält och sovsäck.

Jag antar att jag bara måste vara noga med att jag inte är uppäten av en varg ..

Det bör vara ett helvete av en tid .....

Jack

Quick Reply: The car is packed and Europe awaits