C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone Have The Al Knock Custom Recliners?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Audiophobe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

Default Anyone Have The Al Knock Custom Recliners?

I'm have a few things done as "my big birthday present".
One is new seats for more space.
From what I understand AK makes 2 custom seats for C1's:
- He will take your originals and modify them to give 1"-2" extra leg and head room (I don't recall the price but I believe in the $1400 range) or
- He will make all new recliners that give 4" extra (claimed) each head and leg room. $2200 in vinyl, $2650 for leather that is customizable with style, color, logo and so on.
I'm definitely leaning toward the recliners alhough I can't see how they can effectively recline with the soft top deck right behind your neck. I'd want stock color and style with no logos. There are some bolting mods needed. He will consider taking your originals to soften the $ blow.
I read the below thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...r-leather.html

I wasn't sure about vinyl vs leather but since during most of the season the top is down, if leather gets hotter I would lean away from it. (I don't really see why it would get hotter than vinyl.)
Since this is a big $ decision, before I pull the trigger I was looking for people who actually have the AK seats, especially the recliners (but also the modded originals), to see if they deliver the space and comfort expected, what mods were needed for install, and if there was an opinion on the leather vs vinyl.
Thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 12:36 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

I've installed about 25 sets of the AOK seats in C1's. You're right, they really don't "recline" cause there's no where for them to recline to, but they do go forward, and that's a nice thing if you want to get to your gas tank cover.
Personally, I like the look/smell of leather, but I really don't think that it holds up as good as the newer vinyl materials. (my opinion only).

Mike Coletta
Old 02-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Audiophobe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mike coletta
I've installed about 25 sets of the AOK seats in C1's. You're right, they really don't "recline" cause there's no where for them to recline to, but they do go forward, and that's a nice thing if you want to get to your gas tank cover.
Personally, I like the look/smell of leather, but I really don't think that it holds up as good as the newer vinyl materials. (my opinion only).

Mike Coletta

I didn't think the reclining didn't make much sense.
- What modification do you have to do for installing the new tracks?
- Does it give the comfort and the 4" head and 4" leg room as advertised?
Old 02-05-2012, 01:53 PM
fogaley
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Seats

Hi, I installed Al Knoch reclining seats in a 61 recently for a customer. The seats are very comfortable. Much, much more so than any stock seat ever was.
The reclining part is pretty much a farce. They do recline but as you said, because of the top linkage you cant really do much reclining.
The seat mounting deal requires 4 5/16 holes to be drilled in the floor board because they dont even come close to the stock brackets, nor do they try to. We made carpet for the 61 so I dont know how stock carpet would fit these seats, probably will be ok.
The seats are very low but do slid fore and aft about as much as stock seats do. They could be 4" lower & 4" rearward but I doubt it.
The seat backs are shaped different than stock and do not cover the center console as much but you get used to that.
They seem to be well made.
The seats were leather, sat real well and I loved them.
Scott
Old 02-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Audiophobe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fogaley
Hi, I installed Al Knoch reclining seats in a 61 recently for a customer. The seats are very comfortable. Much, much more so than any stock seat ever was.
The reclining part is pretty much a farce. They do recline but as you said, because of the top linkage you cant really do much reclining.
The seat mounting deal requires 4 5/16 holes to be drilled in the floor board because they dont even come close to the stock brackets, nor do they try to. We made carpet for the 61 so I dont know how stock carpet would fit these seats, probably will be ok.
The seats are very low but do slid fore and aft about as much as stock seats do. They could be 4" lower & 4" rearward but I doubt it.
The seat backs are shaped different than stock and do not cover the center console as much but you get used to that.
They seem to be well made.
The seats were leather, sat real well and I loved them.
Scott
Thanks for that.
Did you feel that they provided significant extra head and leg room besides the comfort?
That's the biggest reason for me to consider them.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

The first posters have first hand experience that I don't have because my new AK interior isn't installed yet....

However FWIW... I do have a really bad back from years in the Garage business and West Texas oil field prior to that. In my case. being able to adjust the seat back even "slightly back and forth"...will ease my back pain when driving a for an extended period of time....just for "any" change of position. A must have for me...

After dry fitment and even though I don't expect a great deal of adjustment...it seems to me..that the further "forward" the seat bottom is ...the more back seat adjustment you can utilize. If you can go forward a little some of the time..that should help in the back seat range of movement. So I expect to set the cruize and bend my knees a little more at times...for more back cushion variation.

I only expected 2" of extra headroom when I ordered though...which I think is plenty for me....and I believe I got at least that much.

Hopefully all that is a correct assessment ...?? What say ye gentlemen? ...would that be reasonable expectations?

Stan...
Old 02-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Audiophobe
Burning Brakes

BTW, I just spoke to Al Knock Interiors for about 20 minutes.
For about $1000 bucks less you can get your original seats modified to give the same extra room. They will modify the seats, rails, and springs to give the extra room then redo the foam, covers, burlap, blast and paint, evertything. The advantage is you don't have to modify or drill to accomadate the new rails (since your using your originals), you still have your original seats, and you save alot of money.
I asked about the recliners on the customs (how can you recline with the deck right behind you?) and the answer is you realy can't recline significantly.
I emphasized that I am doing this only for the extra room and he assured me that the extra space would be the same.
Sounds like a better choice.
Any opinions from Forum Land?
Old 02-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

A thousand bucks less than trading in your seats and paying the difference for the adjustable seats? Things have changed since I got mine...Hmmmm...

I did a LOT of research like you, before I bought my interior too. FWIW...several forum members told me the updated seats were hands down more comfortable than the stock seats..

In fact there was one comparison between "new" Al Knoch stock seats ...and "new" Al Knoch Retro seats...both in the same car one right after another. The Retro seats were reported to be much more comfortable. That's here in the archives somewhere... maybe I can get you a link for that thread.

I thought that two new seat sets, compared for the same exact car, freshly done, by the same manufacturer, back to back...was a hard test to beat so I made my decision based on that.

Stan...

PS..
Here's the thread link...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...on-a-61-a.html

maybe it will help....Stan

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 02-17-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Added a thread link..
Old 02-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Audiophobe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
A thousand bucks less than trading in your seats and paying the difference for the adjustable seats? Things have changed since I got mine...Hmmmm...

I did a LOT of research like you, before I bought my interior too. FWIW...several forum members told me the updated seats were hands down more comfortable than the stock seats..

In fact there was one comparison between "new" Al Knoch stock seats ...and "new" Al Knoch Retro seats...both in the same car one right after another. The Retro seats were reported to be much more comfortable. That's here in the archives somewhere... maybe I can get you a link for that thread.

I thought that two new seat sets, compared for the same exact car, freshly done, by the same manufacturer, back to back...was a hard test to beat so I made my decision based on that.

Stan...

PS..
Here's the thread link...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...on-a-61-a.html

maybe it will help....Stan
That was a very helpful link.
A head to head comparison.
Thanks!
Although money is always a consideration, daily comfort and ease of use is not an area that I want to skrimp on.
The wierd thing is Dale at Al Knocks was guiding me toward redoing my seats ($1700) rather than getting the new ones ($2200 vinyl/$2650 leather). I'd lean toward the leather. He said that the increase room and support would be the same and that they use the same foam on both.
One added benefit of the new seats is that I could use my car when the seat are ordered. It would be difficult to drive w/o them.
To me, the relicling would be useless (unless others know different) since there's nowhere to recline.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

To me, the relicling would be useless (unless others know different) since there's nowhere to recline.[/QUOTE]

How tall are you? That's what would make the difference...any back movement is important when you get stiff in one position...not necessarily recline, just a change...even if it's forward. But I drive long distances frequently. Just drove non-stop from Florida to Texas in November.

...and then there is always the full tilt forward... which allows access under the rear deck...when the top is up and latched. Handy I would think..

I think the stock seats fit the contour of the seat cavity a little better...but just a little.

None of that is really important I guess...just little conveniences. I think you are leaning toward the stock ones....and that may be the best for you. I would do what you think you will be the proudest of....that's what really counts on these cars.

Stan..

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 02-21-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Audiophobe
Burning Brakes

To me, the relicling would be useless (unless others know different) since there's nowhere to recline.
How tall are you? That's what would make the difference...any back movement is important when you get stiff in one position...not necessarily recline, just a change...even if it's forward. But I drive long distances frequently. Just drove non-stop from Florida to Texas in November.

...and then there is always the full tilt forward... which allows access under the rear deck...when the top is up and latched. Handy I would think..

I think the stock seats fit the contour of the seat cavity a little better...but just a little.

None of that is really important I guess...just little conveniences. I think you are leaning toward the stock ones....and that may be the best for you. I would do what you think you will be the proudest of....that's what really counts on these cars.

Stan..[/QUOTE]

Actually now I'm leaning toward the recliners now. I think all the points make sense and the back to back comparison from the previous thread is hard to ignore. Changing positions may be a big benefit too. It through me of when Dale (Al Knock's) was steering me toward the redo's.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Audiophobe

Stan..
Actually now I'm leaning toward the recliners now. I think all the points make sense and the back to back comparison from the previous thread is hard to ignore. Changing positions may be a big benefit too. It through me of when Dale (Al Knock's) was steering me toward the redo's.[/QUOTE]

I don't think there is a whole lot of difference ...you can get leather either way you go...which smells good and so on.

But Al's vinyl is some "really good heavy vinyl"...and it will likely outlast leather. Leather will eventually crack..and the lighter color leathers will show it worse and sooner than the dark leathers... according to I was told when I was trying to decide.

Leather is a personal preference, that I like and why I went that route....also I knew I was going with "black" and it wouldn't show stress cracks quite so easily.

In my case the AOK seats were much cheaper too. With the trade in of my old stock seats, the cash outlay was considerably less.

I'm not sure why Dale was leading you toward stock seats...maybe he thinks the fit in the cavity "looks" a lot better...I know at least one builder that much perfers the stock seat fitment....and on the other hand, some who perfer the AOK's, with comfort being the selling point.

......Regarding the nudge toward stock seats.. maybe A.K. has plenty of trade in "stock" seats and doesn't need any more for now...???

It was a difficult decision for me...but the thread I mentioned was what tipped the scales...

THe perfect fit issue is the only draw back I could see ...and I decided the other things were worth it. Hopefully...I'll feel that way always.

Good luck..Stan
Old 02-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Audiophobe
Burning Brakes

I'm going with the recliners from Al Knock.
I spoke to "Wiseguys" where AK apparantly buys the frames and rails, really a very nice guy I spoke to.
They not only sell the frames but I didn't realize that they also will sell the finished product in both vinyl and leather. I don't remember the exact price but they were a couple of hundred bucks cheaper. The difference is that they to my knowledge don't modify the frames so they don't rub against the convertable top frames (R and L). I also don't know what quality their covers are but have no reason to think they are good.
I plan to order from AK because they are a known quality finished product and they frame mod assures perfect fit.
I'll try to order tomorrow and hopefully in 2-3 weeks I can report that I have great seats with extra room!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm going with the recliners from Al Knock.
I spoke to "Wiseguys" where AK apparantly buys the frames and rails, really a very nice guy I spoke to.
They not only sell the frames but I didn't realize that they also will sell the finished product in both vinyl and leather. I don't remember the exact price but they were a couple of hundred bucks cheaper. The difference is that they to my knowledge don't modify the frames so they don't rub against the convertable top frames (R and L). I also don't know what quality their covers are but have no reason to think they are good.
I plan to order from AK because they are a known quality finished product and they frame mod assures perfect fit.
I'll try to order tomorrow and hopefully in 2-3 weeks I can report that I have great seats with extra room!

CORRECTION: CORRECTION: CORRECTION:

Hello Audiophobe...

I have just spent a little time in my storage room...and decided to look my seats over and make sure they wern't getting dry/dusty etc.

I actually sat in one to check the seat action.

It seems that my memory is a little weak. The seats have a lot of movement but DO NOT have a full tilt forward as I remembered. They only got to a straight up position.

I believe that will give enough room to get a hand behind them to access under the convertible deck but likely little more.....unless the seat is slid forward too.

They do recline almost flat backward...which isn't applicable when installed in the car.

Any movement is good I think...but just wanted to alert you of my discovery since I misstated that they tilted farther forward than they actually do.

Regarding the quality of the upholstery...leather or vinyl...I have seen both first hand. Both are really good thick material..Quality stuff!

Hope this doesn't cause you any problems regarding your seat order placement tomorrow.

Best regards..Stan

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 02-21-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:41 AM
Audiophobe
Burning Brakes

CORRECTION: CORRECTION: CORRECTION:

Hello Audiophobe...

I have just spent a little time in my storage room...and decided to look my seats over and make sure they wern't getting dry/dusty etc.

I actually sat in one to check the seat action.

It seems that my memory is a little weak. The seats have a lot of movement but DO NOT have a full tilt forward as I remembered. They only got to a straight up position.

I believe that will give enough room to get a hand behind them to access under the convertible deck but likely little more.....unless the seat is slid forward too.

They do recline almost flat backward...which isn't applicable when installed in the car.

Any movement is good I think...but just wanted to alert you of my discovery since I misstated that they tilted farther forward than they actually do.

Regarding the quality of the upholstery...leather or vinyl...I have seen both first hand. Both are really good thick material..Quality stuff!

Hope this doesn't cause you any problems regarding your seat order placement tomorrow.

Best regards..Stan
Thanks for that Stan.
It does seem a shame that it tilts all the way back where it can't go and serves no function, and does not tilt forward where it could add some convenience to get behind the seat. But it doesn't make me change my mind. I did email a local member (who a friend told me about last night) who has a set to see if I can check them out first hand before I order. If he doesn't get back to me soon I'm going to order anyway. I'm sure AK is getting busy this time of year and I don't want to wait too long.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Audiophobe
Burning Brakes

I just ordered the seats from Dale. I went with the leather.
Oddly, to me anyway, he again seemed to be nudging me to redo my seats instead of buying the recliners. Anyway, I asked if he could get extra dip in the seat and back to give me the maximun room.
I'll report back when they are installed.
Thanks for everyone's feedback.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Audiophobe
Burning Brakes

Seats are in and they're great.
They accomplished my primary goal which was more room for my big frame.
They are comfortable and although the tilt doesn't do much for me (I keep it the furthest back it will go), it gives flexibilty to your position. The seat is concave and give stability to your position. It looks exactly like 58 seats but with a richer look and feel due to the leather.
I was planning on converting to a 15" steering wheel but now I plan to wait and see since I have the extra room now.
Overall a big

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Have The Al Knock Custom Recliners?

Old 05-21-2012, 08:30 AM
waltonb123
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Seats are in and they're great.
They accomplished my primary goal which was more room for my big frame.
They are comfortable and although the tilt doesn't do much for me (I keep it the furthest back it will go), it gives flexibilty to your position. The seat is concave and give stability to your position. It looks exactly like 58 seats but with a richer look and feel due to the leather.
I was planning on converting to a 15" steering wheel but now I plan to wait and see since I have the extra room now.
Overall a big

How about some pictures?
Old 05-21-2012, 03:10 PM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Q

So, roughly how many inches did you gain fore/aft and up/down from the stock seats? (which I guess were 58's). 61/62 would have had more fore/aft room than 58-60.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:35 AM
Audiophobe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by toms silver 60
So, roughly how many inches did you gain fore/aft and up/down from the stock seats? (which I guess were 58's). 61/62 would have had more fore/aft room than 58-60.
I really can't measure the number of inches but the difference is noticable and well worth it to me.

Quick Reply: Anyone Have The Al Knock Custom Recliners?