C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What length secondary diaphragm?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:25 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts
Default What length secondary diaphragm?

Does anybody know what length secondary diaphragm arm is correct for our holley carbs? Specifically, the 2818? I need to order a new one, but i am not around my car where i can measure currently. There are 3 different arm lengths in the parts catalog.

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know about length but as I recall the stock spring was the silver one. You should be able to find an assortment locally or through Summit or Jegs. Moroso, Holley, Mr Gasket and others market them and they have several weights for faster or slower opening.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:02 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

I have plenty of springs. However, if the arm is too long, the secondaries will never open fully regardless of what spring is installed. So, beware when buying a diaphragm at the local parts store. There are 3 different lengths that i am aware of.
And actually, the stock spring for a 2818-1 is the purple spring.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The length doesn't determine the opening rate, the spring tension does. For example, in those kits I mentioned contain two yellow springs and the longer one has less tension than the shorter one. Which spring is best for a particular application depends on several factors, rear end gearing being a big one. The goal is to match opening rate to the engines power curve, gearing, and weight.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

The Holley 2818 "Trick Kit" 37-1539, provides a secondary diaphragm with a 2 1/4" rod.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:48 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Vetterodder
The length doesn't determine the opening rate, the spring tension does. For example, in those kits I mentioned contain two yellow springs and the longer one has less tension than the shorter one. Which spring is best for a particular application depends on several factors, rear end gearing being a big one. The goal is to match opening rate to the engines power curve, gearing, and weight.
I dont think you are following me. The secondaries will still open with a diaphragm that has an arm that is too long and at the same rate as the correct diaphragm, but they will not open all of the way due to the arm being too long.
I have a plethora of springs and that is not my concern. Now that i am home, i can measure the diaphragms and the carburetor so that i can order the correct unit. I just thought somebody might know the correct length so that i could go ahead and place my order with summit.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:50 AM
itsonlyairandfuel
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 241 Posts

Holley part# 135-4. Ron B.

Get notified of new replies

To What length secondary diaphragm?

Quick Reply: What length secondary diaphragm?