C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 SWC L84 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:43 PM
napa68
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 121 Posts

Default 63 SWC L84 Restoration

Here is a thread that I have going over at the www.yenko.net website.
In the restoration of the car, I am going to strive for quality. I have taken a position that I am not going to worry about Bloomington Gold or NCRS
Hope you enjoy!

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...789#Post467789
Old 02-11-2012, 05:30 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by napa68
In the restoration of the car, I am going to strive for quality. I have taken a position that I am not going to worry about Bloomington Gold or NCRS
Hope you enjoy!

Quite amazing isn't it? this is the 99,000th C2 that is unhit!!! Every car was driven by a little old lady who only drove it, on the open parking lot she owned, in the back of the ranch. Or belonged to some eccentric old dude who squirreled away in garage never to be seen till the day someone buys it. They are all "unhit"

I was around in the 60s and 70s, and during my sober moments, remember distinctly that they all became bumper cars, at one time or another. Its strange that the LSD era, and Maryjane smokers that I saw, never had one car survive other then mine????? I think my car should be worth more because at least no one ********ted me

We just did not get naked at Woodstock and had free love, we also smoked and drove drunk and occasionally did not know what planet we were on Where are all those cars?

Just another idiot laying a track record trying to ensure the day he sells it, he gets the highest dollar.

I wonder how many people actually believe the con that is repeated with every car that is purchased? They obviously never lived in the same 60s and 70s I did.

Last edited by TC233; 02-11-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:05 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TC233
Quite amazing isn't it? ...Just another idiot laying a track record trying to ensure the day he sells it, he gets the highest dollar.

I wonder how many people actually believe the con that is repeated with every car that is purchased? They obviously never lived in the same 60s and 70s I did.
WTF? Have you some knowledge of the original poster being anything less than honest? Has he wronged you in some way? Did someone sneeze in your Wheaties this morning?

I see no evidence of anything other than an enthusiastic car owner with a nice car and a neat project.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:28 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
WTF? Have you some knowledge of the original poster being anything less than honest? Has he wronged you in some way? Did someone sneeze in your Wheaties this morning?

I see no evidence of anything other than an enthusiastic car owner with a nice car and a neat project.
the comment was C2s in general not specifically this person. Has anyone else got a previously hit car here? It simply amazes me, everyone is sure they have a "for sure never hit" car. How do they know? Who told them, why did they believe them? Only one reason, its all about the money.

People have a hard enough time proving an ownership trail, yet are totally convinced that it is unhit? How can that be? Think about it. Unless the car was in a monastery for 50 years how do you know? Do you think every fender bender, ding , parking lot hit is recorded somewhere that proves the car is unhit? We were a rebel lot back then, breaking the sound barrier on highways was the norm, driving drunk "was the norm"!

No one has 100% proof its that simple, they can come close, like a car in that monastery or museum or collection that was never driven, but even those were not immune. Literally every car I read about are unhit cars, as if a fender bender is the kiss of death? That is not only complete bull, its statistically impossible.

People that have owned their car from the day it was bought and had one hit where it crumpled the fender, do you think they will admit it? Not likely, it seems to be some badge of honor I do not understand. Its okay to have 80% repro parts but geez its the kiss of death if you have a repro fender?

Last edited by TC233; 02-11-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:59 PM
napa68
Burning Brakes

I can only assume TC233 does not have the insight nor the experience of looking at a fairly original car to see the facts. Are you an NCRS judge? I have had a few of those condem COMPLETELY original cars just to profess their "knowledge".

If you note in the post, I DID call out what I do not believe to be right in the car.

TC233, go back under your rock. This ain't my first rodeo cowboy.

Tim
Old 02-11-2012, 07:04 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

I can only assume TC233 does not have the insight nor the experience of looking at a fairly original car to see the facts. Are you an NCRS judge? I have had a few of those condem COMPLETELY original cars just to profess their "knowledge".

If you note in the post, I DID call out what I do not believe to be right in the car.

TC233, go back under your rock. This ain't my first rodeo cowboy.

Tim
Ahh yes, discredit the poster based on not being an NCRS judge

NCRS does not judge "original fenders" even I know that It appears you do not.

Its not you I am taking a shot at Its EVERY person that has a Vette is 100% sure its unhit, its a religion for gods sake. I just sit here in amazement that every car that is purchased is unhit? I lived in the 60s and 70s did you?

Last edited by TC233; 02-11-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:06 PM
napa68
Burning Brakes

I was around in the 60s and 70s, and during my sober moments, remember distinctly that they all became bumper cars, at one time or another. Its strange that the LSD era, and Maryjane smokers that I saw, never had one car survive other then mine????? I think my car should be worth more because at least no one ********ted me

We just did not get naked at Woodstock and had free love, we also smoked and drove drunk and occasionally did not know what planet we were on Where are all those cars?
Looks like you are still under the influence. What a P.O.S.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:22 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Looks like you are still under the influence. What a P.O.S.
It was a great time, flower children, good music, good women. All the corvettes I saw back then must be gone now, or parts cars
None of the West Coast Cars must have made it
Old 02-11-2012, 07:29 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Hope you enjoy!

Now that I have you cranked. Its a very nice car. In fact I love it (Of course I am partial because I own a 63SWC Daytona Blue) Now how do you know "its UNHIT"? I am curious because I would love to know how a car is traced back 50 years and it is known that its never even had a shopping mall accident? I just assume mine has been hit, I have no proof otherwise!

Again, its not you, its EVERY person that buys a car, they all seem to be unhit? If you do not care about NCRS and its going to be a driver, then that's what it is.
I know of a Red/Red 63 that was purchased in 4 different states won Top Flight and sold as a perfect car! The back end was bought in Kentucky the frame in North Carolina and the Front clip in Quebec. The bird cage in Ontario.
I am sure that the present owner says its "unhit". My question is why? Whats the motivation? I see only one thing, money later. As you can see with all my posts, I do not beat around the bush. I am the same in person, I say what I think and do not mind taking the flack. I like to understand why people do not mind telling you the frame rotted out from under them but never DARE say "its been hit" or "I don't know"? Its become an exclusive club that people feel they need membership I guess.

Last edited by TC233; 02-11-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Thorson
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Now that I have you cranked. Its a very nice car. In fact I love it (Of course I am partial because I own a 63SWC Daytona Blue) Now how do you know "its UNHIT"? I am curious because I would love to know how a car is traced back 50 years and it is known that its never even had a shopping mall accident? I just assume mine has been hit, I have no proof otherwise!

Again, its not you, its EVERY person that buys a car, they all seem to be unhit? If you do not care about NCRS and its going to be a driver, then that's what it is.
I know of a Red/Red 63 that was purchased in 4 different states won Top Flight and sold as a perfect car! The back end was bought in Kentucky the frame in North Carolina and the Front clip in Quebec. The bird cage in Ontario.
I am sure that the present owner says its "unhit". My question is why? Whats the motivation? I see only one thing, money later. As you can see with all my posts, I do not beat around the bush. I am the same in person, I say what I think and do not mind taking the flack. I like to understand why people do not mind telling you the frame rotted out from under them but never DARE say "its been hit" or "I don't know"? Its become an exclusive club that people feel they need membership I guess.
TC..... Why not start start your own thread to rage on "unhit" and originality issues? OP has a very cool car. Why poison his thread with this?
Old 02-12-2012, 08:18 AM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

I apologize to you napa68 and this board. I was having a bad day yesterday. Back is killing me could not walk around at all, Tinnitus has gone ballistic, and the pinched nerve in my neck has killed both hands (pinkie and ring finger) so upped my meds.

Unhit is a very sensitive issue to me. Not because its that big a deal, but because Corvette enthusiast seem to be the only ones obsessed with it. I have belonged to a Camaro and Mustang Club and no one expresses the need for "unhit" like Corvette owners. The important thing is the car is "straight" in all 3 axis! Bodylines meet properly and the car is as tight as the day it came off the factory floor.

I agree, I hijacked this thread, and I should not have and I apologize for that. Even in my rant, I still said it was a nice car, and it will be a great restoration project. I am having fun with mine and I did not intend on taking away from the fun you are having with yours.

Again I apologize, to napa68 and the board. My bad day should not have spread to this board.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I apologize to you napa68 and this board. I was having a bad day yesterday. Back is killing me could not walk around at all, Tinnitus has gone ballistic, and the pinched nerve in my neck has killed both hands (pinkie and ring finger) so upped my meds.

Unhit is a very sensitive issue to me. Not because its that big a deal, but because Corvette enthusiast seem to be the only ones obsessed with it. I have belonged to a Camaro and Mustang Club and no one expresses the need for "unhit" like Corvette owners. The important thing is the car is "straight" in all 3 axis! Bodylines meet properly and the car is as tight as the day it came off the factory floor.

I agree, I hijacked this thread, and I should not have and I apologize for that. Even in my rant, I still said it was a nice car, and it will be a great restoration project. I am having fun with mine and I did not intend on taking away from the fun you are having with yours.

Again I apologize, to napa68 and the board. My bad day should not have spread to this board.
Well, I have seen napa68 car pictures and it looks pretty straight and original to me.....I know my 63 has been hit up front at least once if not twice...My car is far from prefect...With todays technology and the repop. parts much better now than before..(remenber the 80's??)

Easier to make them look like a "unhit" car...However, napa68 car has patina and if it was hit they did a very very good job of fixing it!!!

My fear would be with napa68 car that someone would HIT it while out and about driving his car..

Club menber in Bradenton 67 Corvette was a unhit car until his mechanic was taking his boy to school in his car and plowed into the back to a semi truck trailer...

Owning a 63 and seeing what napa68 looked for clues to it being original he did a pretty through job!!!
Enjoy
Old 02-12-2012, 11:05 AM
napa68
Burning Brakes

Thank you.

I can understand your skeptisism. I have been around these cars for 30 years. All of the bonding strips are original, the bonding agent is typical factory production, all the correct white glass, body gaps that are tight(for what an early 63 allows) and the patina of it all matches. Just a nice honest car. Here are some other pics I snapped of other cars I have recently had / stll have. I am pretty serious (sick) about this whole car thing.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:09 AM
napa68
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE

Owning a 63 and seeing what napa68 looked for clues to it being original he did a pretty through job!!!
Enjoy
[/QUOTE]

That would make me sick. It's a good post though just to keep everyone on their toes!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:06 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

I, for one, will keep watching this resto! thanks for sharing it.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:18 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
I, for one, will keep watching this resto! thanks for sharing it.
Me too, again, I apologize, for the outburst, I have a rather tough disposition at best, build up over 21 years of chronic pain, but I should have taken that day off.

The Green C3 looks exactly like my 1970 454 it caused my heart to beat as I scrolled down the pictures, mine had the beige interior.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:44 PM
napa68
Burning Brakes

The transmission came back today from my buddy who rebuilt it for me. Not being around Corvette's much, he was a little stumped with the shifter

Here are some other pics from the link I originally posted.

Get notified of new replies

To 63 SWC L84 Restoration

Old 02-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Looks like a real nice car!
Very Classic Colors
Old 02-23-2012, 05:38 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Nice! Any reason you substituted flat-top pistons for the original domed pistons?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:09 PM
napa68
Burning Brakes

These are going to yield a 10:1 comp ratio. Works real nice with the LT1 cam on pump gas. I had built another one like this years ago and it ran like a scolded monkey.

Quick Reply: 63 SWC L84 Restoration