C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Bloomington Gold new leadership

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:36 AM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Default Bloomington Gold new leadership

Bloomington Gold
Has New Leadership

Long time “Corvette Guy” purchases Bloomington Gold from the Mecum family.

Guy Larsen, from Palos Park, IL, will lead Bloomington Gold into its fifth decade as America’s premiere Corvette event. He has already played a significant role in other changes recently announced—the move back to Central Illinois in 2013 as well as the new Certification standards. More improvements are envisioned.

At age 13, Larsen tried getting hired by a restaurant in order to buy a new car by the time he was 16. Foiled by his parents who made him spend the money first on college tuition, Larsen finally got his car. At age 22, he purchased his first Corvette and has had one ever since. Although Larsen continuously improved his collection with more collectible and authentic Corvettes, he has never strayed from his original philosophy, “Corvettes are meant to be driven.”

“Guy is uniquely suited for this leadership role”, said David Burroughs, CEO. “He can relate to all our customer segments because he has first hand experience with so many aspects of the Corvette hobby/industry. He’s personally done frame off restorations, had Corvettes Gold Certified, served as Director of all Bloomington Gold judges, owns a (non-automotive) national trade show business serving exhibitors and vendors, and drives a C6 ZR-1 for the fun of it with his wife Beverly. Guy, not only has a great business mind, he also has good common sense, even temperament, and is a true reflection of the customers and enthusiasts Bloomington Gold has served for 40 years. He’s a true “Corvette Guy”.

www.BloomingtonGold.com
www.SurvivorCollectorCar.com

2012 Bloomington Gold Show: June 21 - 23
2012 Survivor Collector Car: June 24
at Pheasant Run Resort
St. Charles, IL
Old 02-14-2012, 07:30 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 678 Likes on 382 Posts

Congrats to both parties involved. I hope that Bloomington Gold is around for many years!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

I think in order for Blooington Gold to bring back the Corvette people that it had in years past that they may want to increase the vending area and one way to do that would be for the first year or two (only) you would be allowed ONE space for free and any other space you would need would be 1/2 price of what they are currently. If you don't get a lot of venders then the people will not come. Look at Corvettes at Carlisle and all the venders they have and the amount of people the attend it and then look at Bloomington Gold and the venders they have there and the amount of people who come to it? Looks like to me a NO BRAINER. Worth a try.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:31 AM
redhot62
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
I think in order for Blooington Gold to bring back the Corvette people that it had in years past that they may want to increase the vending area and one way to do that would be for the first year or two (only) you would be allowed ONE space for free and any other space you would need would be 1/2 price of what they are currently. If you don't get a lot of venders then the people will not come. Look at Corvettes at Carlisle and all the venders they have and the amount of people the attend it and then look at Bloomington Gold and the venders they have there and the amount of people who come to it? Looks like to me a NO BRAINER. Worth a try.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Mike's right 100%. Unless the swap meet is a major part of the show, it's just another auction/judging event. So what?

If they don't improve the show with this move, it's done. Stick a fork in it.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

I just hope this thread gets to the new owner. I am sure it was not cheap to buy the Bloomington Gold Event and I would hate to see it keep going down the tube.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:22 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

When it went to St. Charles and the swap meet and vendors dried up, I quit 'em!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

I liked Springfield the best. Even better than the old fairgrounds. The Interstate Center was aweful. St. Charles about killed it.

Let's see what they do with it now.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:24 PM
blue63cpe
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy
I liked Springfield the best. Even better than the old fairgrounds. The Interstate Center was aweful. St. Charles about killed it.

1980 was my 1st Bloomington Gold, those were some wild times back then with the wet Tshirt contests and semi clad models at more than a few booths plus plenty of beer. Springfield did bendover backwards for us even as the shows became more family orientated. I wish them luck and hope they can restore the show to its past glory.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:34 PM
ZR Guy
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

The 'new owner' did receive the message and appreciates the comments. We will work to build up the vendors and that is a tough task. We will keep adding new items along with a new venue that should bring back more FUN quotient to the show.
Please give the show another chance and see what happens when it moves to Champaign. Lots of good things planned!

thank you for the support
Old 02-19-2012, 03:11 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR Guy
The 'new owner' did receive the message and appreciates the comments. We will work to build up the vendors and that is a tough task. We will keep adding new items along with a new venue that should bring back more FUN quotient to the show.
Please give the show another chance and see what happens when it moves to Champaign. Lots of good things planned!

thank you for the support

Good luck with new challenge! I hope you hit it out of the park!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
I'm nowhere near any of the big shows, but without something like this, it's just another walk around/don't touch event. I can find those anywhere in the country, through most of the year. The logic makes sense to me.

Edit: I still want to hit all the big shows at least once though.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Vette Daddy

...I also loved Springfield the best. Seemed like the people there "wanted" us there, plus they had those cool "Abraham Lincoln" signs everywhere(I have one of every year, too!!!). The Road Tours and after hours cruising was great!!! Also loved all the cars inside the horse race track and going through the tunnels to get there.

Hated that "Interstate Center", but it did seem like the easiest one to get to right off of the freeway practically.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:42 PM
ZR Guy
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Paul, if you liked the Road Tours there and that the town 'liked and wanted us', please hold on for Champaign. The towns seems to genuinely be excited about having us come. The Road tour should be special. And the Road Tour will end in a downtown , 'corvette only' parking. Restaurants open and inviting the corvette cruisers !
Should be FUN !
Old 02-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZR Guy
Paul, if you liked the Road Tours there and that the town 'liked and wanted us', please hold on for Champaign. The towns seems to genuinely be excited about having us come. The Road tour should be special. And the Road Tour will end in a downtown , 'corvette only' parking. Restaurants open and inviting the corvette cruisers !
Should be FUN !
I really have high hopes for you and the new show. Please don't let us down.

Brett

Get notified of new replies

To Bloomington Gold new leadership

Quick Reply: Bloomington Gold new leadership