C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Quantity of brake fluid in a C1

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 11:21 AM
Pierre
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Quantity of brake fluid in a C1

I need to fill the brake system on my '56 and need to know how much brake fluid I need to buy.

I intend to use silicone brake fluid. The only reason is because I have a completely new brake system and silicone won't strip off the paint on my newly painted frame if any of it leaks out somewhere in the system.

Thanks,

Pierre
'56 265/225

Old 05-14-2002, 01:59 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Default Re: Quantity of brake fluid in a C1 (Pierre)

Pierre -

System capacity is 0.66 pints (10.5 fl.oz.), but you'll need at least twice that much to bleed the system and get it air-free; I'd say you'll need a quart at a minimum. With DOT5, handle the fluid very gently, and don't pump it real hard while bleeding; although DOT5 doesn't absorb moisture like DOT3/4 does, it does NOT like to be agitated - it tends to entrain air in very tiny, almost microscopic bubbles that attach themselves to the inside walls of the system components, which are nearly impossible to get out. Many of the DOT5 containers recommend heating the fluid first to drive off any entrained air before filling/bleeding the system.

Quick Reply: Quantity of brake fluid in a C1