C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Suggestions for 63 alignment specs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 03:33 PM
jimdvan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Suggestions for 63 alignment specs?

I have a 63 vert with stock front end and Flaming River 12:1 steering box. All parts have no more than about 5K-8K miles on them. It has power steering. The tires are BFG 215/65/15 T/A radials.

I have the steering box set-up with virtually no play in the steering just short of tight. Upon turning right or left on curves or actual turns the steering return-to-center is a little sluggish and not quite complete. The car is due for an alignment and I would like a little quicker return-to-center response if I can get it. I also like neutral steering with no compensation for road crown. Any suggestions on how to have the shop set it up?
Old 03-15-2012, 03:59 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

C2 alignment with radial tires - info from JohnZ from prior postings:

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_...0Alignment.pdf
Old 03-15-2012, 05:05 PM
jimdvan
Racer

Thanks
Old 03-15-2012, 05:53 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by jimdvan
I have a 63 vert with stock front end and Flaming River 12:1 steering box. All parts have no more than about 5K-8K miles on them. It has power steering. The tires are BFG 215/65/15 T/A radials.

I have the steering box set-up with virtually no play in the steering just short of tight. Upon turning right or left on curves or actual turns the steering return-to-center is a little sluggish and not quite complete.
I don't know what a Flaming River steering box is but if you have it set up "tight", especially if it has used parts in it, that may be part of your sluggish return.

Make sure you have enough positve caster in the alignment to return the wheels to center but not enough to cause hard low speed steering.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 PM
jimdvan
Racer

Flaming River makes a repro GM steering box. It was brand new with new parts. If I have the lash adjustment any looser it will wander too much. Its not tight enough to bind and the steering return was a little sluggish anyway for my liking.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:31 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Flaming River makes a repro GM steering box. It was brand new with new parts. If I have the lash adjustment any looser it will wander too much. Its not tight enough to bind and the steering return was a little sluggish anyway for my liking.
If you don't have enough caster dialed in, it will wander and be slow to return regardless of how tight your steering box is..
Old 04-17-2012, 01:52 PM
jimdvan
Racer

I had the alignment done with the recommended specs but I think something is amiss. At 50-70 mph if I hit the gas hard the car wants to drift left. When I let off the gas it comes back to the right. My guess is it isn't supposed to do that.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:32 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

I had the alignment done with the recommended specs but I think something is amiss. At 50-70 mph if I hit the gas hard the car wants to drift left. When I let off the gas it comes back to the right. My guess is it isn't supposed to do that.
That's a classic symptom of a rear toe-in problem; either the rear toe-in isn't equal across the thrust centerline (biased to one side), or front trailing arm bushings are loose, or both.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:09 PM
jimdvan
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnZ
That's a classic symptom of a rear toe-in problem; either the rear toe-in isn't equal across the thrust centerline (biased to one side), or front trailing arm bushings are loose, or both.
Thanks. I'll take it back and have them recheck it.

Get notified of new replies

To Suggestions for 63 alignment specs?

Quick Reply: Suggestions for 63 alignment specs?