C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'59 Restomod Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:27 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by americanretrodave
I haven’t seen this done before so a lot of this is in my mind so bare with me.

The rear frame rails that I’ll need to hold the C6 rear suspension will invade, on each side, the compartment behind the seats that accommodates the stock gas tank, I’ll also have to modify the spare tire compartment between eleven and one o’clock to give room for the viper rear end. Consequently, I’ll have a spare tire compartment and a gas tank compartment that will be useless for what both were originally intended. I’m thinking I can use the original gas tank compartment for either a more convenient place to put the battery, an audio set-up or both, (I’ll build an access door on top of it ). The spare tire compartment will make, in my opinion, an excellent place to put the gas tank. I like the idea of the frame rails being on each side of it as well as not having it directly behind my seat. Since I’ll need a new tank for the stage three motor anyway, I’ll have a pro I know build it to fit the space I have. I like the concept, I move my tank to a more appropriate place, I move the battery to a better place, and I also get rid of the gas door behind the driver’s door, something that most people won’t notice but I feel it will give the car a cleaner look. I will need to open the trunk to fill the tank, but I’m working on ideas for that.
aaaaahhh... you're going to put in in the spare tire well, not the wheel well.. good idea

thanks

Bill
Old 03-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

I will need to open the trunk to fill the tank, but I’m working on ideas for that.
Maybe run the fill tube through the center of the deck lid, like the 1960 Le Mans Corvettes? Of course, you would have to modify your hardtop window like those race cars did, but it might end up looking kind of trick.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:43 PM
americanretrodave
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wmf62 wrote: aaaaahhh... you're going to put in in the spare tire well, not the wheel well.. good idea
thanks
Bill
Dang, and I was looking right at the spare tire wheel well when I wrote wheel well too! Sorry for the confusion.

Originally Posted by Loren Smith
Maybe run the fill tube through the center of the deck lid, like the 1960 Le Mans Corvettes? Of course, you would have to modify your hardtop window like those race cars did, but it might end up looking kind of trick.
Hi Loren,

Those Corvettes had the fuel tank in it’s original place and ran the fill tube up through the convertible storage compartment to the deck lid, by cutting a section out of the rear window of the hardtop, (that they also ran with), they were able to ‘dump’ fill the cars. My tank will be in the rear with the filler neck almost under the rear trunk Corvette emblem (that's in your avatar). I can either open the trunk and fill it or maybe I can figure out a cool way of allowing the above stated emblem to pop up to allow access to the fuel cap. This is more what I had in mind.

Dave

Last edited by americanretrodave; 03-28-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:26 PM
splidecision63
Le Mans Master

Good Job, I been whereyou are and I can vouch it is a lot of work, but it is fun also, especially when you have help with the fiberglass and measurements. Good Luck, and dont stop, keep it up.
George
Old 03-28-2012, 08:45 PM
americanretrodave
Racer

Originally Posted by splidecision63
Good Job, I been whereyou are and I can vouch it is a lot of work, but it is fun also, especially when you have help with the fiberglass and measurements. Good Luck, and dont stop, keep it up.
George
Thanks George, it is a lot of fun, I'm enjoying this build a lot! Did you post a thread of your build? Dave
Old 03-28-2012, 10:25 PM
pw2006
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm liking it! Can't wait to see this come together.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Drmrman,

Jeff Hedges from Fresno is building the chassis.

Dave

I checked out the chassis today and it seems to be at a standstill, hopefully by week’s end I’ll see some progress.

Dave
Might be a long wait.....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...peed-shop.html

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=134813

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...fresno-ca.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sout...om-fresno.html

http://banweb.co.fresno.ca.us/cprods...ate=&end_date=
Old 03-29-2012, 02:09 AM
americanretrodave
Racer

Shoot Plastic Pig, that is not what you like to see. His shop isn’t far from me and I’ve seen a lot of projects go out and they certainly didn’t look like the pictures posted. I have given a small deposit but nothing more will be paid until the chassis is finished and I’m satisfied. Hopefully, he’ll do what he’s promised. Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea that anything like what you posted was going on. I won’t put up with shabby workmanship nor any of the other problems that others have posted. As of now, from what I’ve personally seen of Jeff and his workmanship, I’ll give him the benefit of doubt, at least for the time being, I have seen some beautiful cars come out of his shop.

I do have a Street Shop chassis all done and in my shop, I plan on using it with my '62, I liked what I saw at Jeff's and the idea of the C6 suspension as well as the Viper rear end, made me forego the Street Shop chassis for Jeff's, at least on this project. Hopefully, I didn't make a mistake.

Last edited by americanretrodave; 03-29-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:44 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Shoot Plastic Pig, that is not what you like to see. His shop isn’t far from me and I’ve seen a lot of projects go out and they certainly didn’t look like the pictures posted. I have given a small deposit but nothing more will be paid until the chassis is finished and I’m satisfied. Hopefully, he’ll do what he’s promised. Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea that anything like what you posted was going on. I won’t put up with shabby workmanship nor any of the other problems that others have posted. As of now, from what I’ve personally seen of Jeff and his workmanship, I’ll give him the benefit of doubt, at least for the time being, I have seen some beautiful cars come out of his shop.

I do have a Street Shop chassis all done and in my shop, I plan on using it with my '62, I liked what I saw at Jeff's and the idea of the C6 suspension as well as the Viper rear end, made me forego the Street Shop chassis for Jeff's, at least on this project. Hopefully, I didn't make a mistake.
what PP posted is what i was referring to when i posted

but i figured you already knew those things...
Bill
Old 03-29-2012, 09:29 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for the heads up with this information. I hope it helps those whom are looking for services like ones provided here.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Hopefully everything goes smooth for you. Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you didn't know so you could keep an eye on things.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing your build.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:12 PM
americanretrodave
Racer

Originally Posted by wmf62
what PP posted is what i was referring to when i posted

but i figured you already knew those things...
Bill
I didn't!

Plastic Pig wrote; Hopefully everything goes smooth for you. Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you didn't know so you could keep an eye on things Good luck, looking forward to seeing your build.
Hi PP,

I didn’t know and appreciate your post. I did go see Jeff this morning. He was working on my chassis when I arrived. I also counted seven C2’s and two C1’s being worked on and they all looked good. I explained what was exposed to me and he certainly has his side of the story. Bottom line, I was satisfied with his explanation and proceeded with my chassis. I really like the way he’s incorporated the C6 suspension with the Viper rear end and as far as the product goes, I saw no examples of anything that could remotely be considered as shabby, including all welds. I also saw the C6 suspension and Viper rear end that will be used on my chassis, I was pleased with the condition of both. All the above being said, I will post pictures of the chassis when completed and let everyone judge it then.

This is my first experience of working with Jeff and up until reading the negatives brought out here, it’s been good. Without getting into who’s right on something I had no idea about until last night and certainly have no idea on who’s version is correct. I would like this build thread to stay on the build, at least until we see the chassis.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 04-01-2012, 11:16 PM
snozberry
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm working on a 61 with the SRIII chassis. I was contemplating the same idea with a gas tank in the spare tire well since I had to cut the tire well for clearance in the same area also. I was thinking of putting the gas cap under the license plate. I'm several months from tackling that project on mine but it's nice to see I'm not the only crazy person thinking it. The biggest problem I'm having with the idea is how much fuel a tank there would be able to hold. I don't want to have to stop for gas every 150 miles.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:35 AM
americanretrodave
Racer

Originally Posted by snozberry
I'm working on a 61 with the SRIII chassis. I was contemplating the same idea with a gas tank in the spare tire well since I had to cut the tire well for clearance in the same area also. I was thinking of putting the gas cap under the license plate. I'm several months from tackling that project on mine but it's nice to see I'm not the only crazy person thinking it. The biggest problem I'm having with the idea is how much fuel a tank there would be able to hold. I don't want to have to stop for gas every 150 miles.
Hi Snozberry,

I really think it makes sense. I like cleaning up the side of the car as well as getting the tank out of the cockpit. I believe the tank in the spare tire well will probably hold more than the original tank, you can do some calculations on the volume (in gallons) of a round tank on the net; I‘m coming up with over 20 gallons. I thought about putting the filler neck behind the license plate but I feel the plate is too low on the ‘59, I’m not sure on a ‘61. I was looking at a ‘65 rear emblem that pops open to access the filler cap, it might be possible to incorporate a C1 emblem into something like that.

Dave
Old 04-06-2012, 10:51 PM
americanretrodave
Racer

Some new pictures:

The front end before;

The front end now, it's coming along;

The new wider rear fenders are coming along;

Last edited by americanretrodave; 04-08-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:09 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Really, Really COOL!!! I'm still hoping to get to my 74 restomod project and I have a line on a 57 that's been sitting since 1972 that'd be perfect for uodating.

Good luck and I'm subscribing to this thread.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:44 PM
americanretrodave
Racer

Originally Posted by 74-Roadster
Really, Really COOL!!! I'm still hoping to get to my 74 restomod project and I have a line on a 57 that's been sitting since 1972 that'd be perfect for uodating.
Good luck and I'm subscribing to this thread.
Thanks 74-Roadster, I hope you get the '57, it's probably my favorite of all Corvettes.

Below are some updated pictures of the chassis I'm having built for the '59, the C6 suspension and Viper rear end will be added next. It's going to be an interesting chassis. I ordered it to sit more at the normal height instead of sitting real low. I like the stock height more, I guess there are only so many tricks you can teach an old dog.

I still have my chassis from Street Shop, but I'm keeping that for my '62'

Last edited by americanretrodave; 04-17-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To '59 Restomod Build

Old 05-25-2012, 09:26 AM
americanretrodave
Racer

The flush mounted taillights are coming out nice;

The chassis is coming out really nice, this week, the body will be fitted to it;

Old 05-25-2012, 10:11 AM
pw2006
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats! Your setup is looking sweet!
Old 05-25-2012, 01:41 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

I hope the welding of the various supports on the back is not yet complete........as in 360 weld wraps.....

Quick Reply: '59 Restomod Build