C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

VIN stamp on frame

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 05:36 PM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Default VIN stamp on frame

I am trying to find & read the partial VIN stamp on the frame of my '65 coupe. Body is on the car. I've failed miserably. I understand that it is located on top of the driver side frame rail, adjacent to and slightly forward of the #4 body mount? I've tried to see up there with a small dental mirror and good LED flashlight, tried to get an etching using a sheet of computer paper and a mechanical draftsman's pencil (with HB lead), tried cleaning it with a tooth brush, and tried sanding it very lightly with 100 grit sand paper. I can't see a thing. You guys must be a Houdini to get this with the body on. Does anyone have any suggestions that might allow me to get this? Do you think a fiber optic bore scope would work?
Old 03-24-2012, 05:50 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Did you take the tire off?
Old 03-24-2012, 06:08 PM
cam30era
Pro

No I didn't. But it didn't seem to hinder access. I can see the top of the frame, just not any numbers.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Jalopy31
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cam30era
No I didn't. But it didn't seem to hinder access. I can see the top of the frame, just not any numbers.
I'd suggest you try it without the wheel in place - it makes it alot easier to find the stamp. I tried to find mine with the wheel in place, and never could. After removing the wheel and being able to get my head up into the wheel well, it was right there in plain sight:

I put a little WD-40 on a rag and wiped the area to make the stamp more visible in my photos.

Todd
Old 03-24-2012, 06:24 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

I had a hard time finding mine, even after the frame was blasted....they were really faint...

Good luck
Old 03-24-2012, 07:05 PM
cam30era
Pro

Thanks guys.

Todd, from your pictures and description it sounds like it's well forward of the #4 mount, more in the area of of the kick up above the axle?
Old 03-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Jalopy31
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Todd, from your pictures and description it sounds like it's well forward of the #4 mount, more in the area of of the kick up above the axle?
Yes - the stamp on my '64 is forward of the body mount by several inches - closer to the center of the rear axle/wheel. That's why I was not having any luck finding it with the wheel mounted.

Todd
Old 03-24-2012, 08:04 PM
cam30era
Pro

Thank you
Old 03-24-2012, 08:18 PM
splidecision63
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found the vin numbers on several frames that were seperated from the body. I tried on a couple with the body on, inculding a C1 and had no luck at all. I used every trick in the book including everything you did
As said B4 the vin stamp is die casted on the frame very lightly, it is hard to read with the body off.
When I took the bolts loose from the body ( and raised the body up a couple of inches from the frame ) on the drivers side and used 400 grit sand paper, I was able to see some lines that appeared to be the vin. I could never make out the whole number.
Good luck
George
Old 03-24-2012, 08:55 PM
gary6672
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I used a mirror to find mine.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:03 AM
mechron
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by splidecision63
I have found the vin numbers on several frames that were seperated from the body. I tried on a couple with the body on, inculding a C1 and had no luck at all. I used every trick in the book including everything you did
As said B4 the vin stamp is die casted on the frame very lightly, it is hard to read with the body off.
When I took the bolts loose from the body ( and raised the body up a couple of inches from the frame ) on the drivers side and used 400 grit sand paper, I was able to see some lines that appeared to be the vin. I could never make out the whole number.
Good luck
George
what do mean by "die casted" they are stamped just like the stamp pad VIN on the block. if the frame is rusted all bets are off. my 64 coup (a rust free car) had the VIN stamped into the frame just befbore the rear kickup, impossible to see, the other VIN is easy to see, it is on the top side of the frame direcly over the rear suspention on the DS if your frame is not rusty/crusty you can see the VIN numbers. they shound match the VIN tag under glove box. by the way. upon pulling my body off the frame the VIN # were very STAMPED in those two placeces and very easy to see after blasting the frame. both VINs on the frame are still visible
Old 03-25-2012, 01:55 PM
cam30era
Pro

Originally Posted by Jalopy31
I'd suggest you try it without the wheel in place - it makes it alot easier to find the stamp. I tried to find mine with the wheel in place, and never could. After removing the wheel and being able to get my head up into the wheel well, it was right there in plain sight:

I put a little WD-40 on a rag and wiped the area to make the stamp more visible in my photos.

Todd
Thank you Todd. I found it exactly where you said it would be. And your recommendations to remove the wheel and wipe it with WD40 made all the difference.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:59 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

On a '63-'65, it's directly above the top shock mount bracket; on a '66-'67, it's above the front edge of the #4 body mount bracket.

Get notified of new replies

To VIN stamp on frame

Quick Reply: VIN stamp on frame