C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Blowby question World Product Motor 415

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,891 Likes on 2,563 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
Just a tip. You can use the cheap HF type if you get a new piece of steel stock that is about 6-8 inches longer and it'll pull a SBC from the front. It won't tip the cherry picker with a SBC.
Good tip....but I was always nervous about a $2000 paint/blend repair....you can see where I am coming from...right?

Jebby
Old 04-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,720 Likes on 805 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

If I were the OP I would be yanking that engine and contacting Jebby with a $600 check in hand, and finding the quickest transporter in the west to get it there. He may have just saved you a lot of money with his input. Heed the man who has had the most "seat time".
Old 04-06-2012, 07:25 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

It seems the OP has a valid problem that is being addressed throughout this mess of a thread. I am trying to keep the thread open for the OP's benefit, without giving anyone a vacation.

PLease understand that continued bickering, online hostility, open criticism of the moderators and the rest of the junk that has been going on here is not helping anyone.

If anyone is under the impression only "obscenity" results in deletions, edit and worse, vacations, please review the link below.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...conflicts.html

Please stay on course and stick with the discussion at hand.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks....but phone calls are cool too....
I am not a business....this is just a hobby....but I do have ability to ship.

y

I will help if I can....been around C2's all my life.

Jebby
Old 04-06-2012, 07:47 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Jebby, Your experience with World crate engines and saying that they were all blems got me to thinking. I have seen several aftermarket blocks for sale at discount prices on E-bay that are blems. Many of them have porosities. I am reluctant to buy one of them because I figure what is there that I can't see? If this engine turns out not to have significant leakdown issues- (has that been done yet?) then I would not be surprised to find that to be the case.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
Jebby, Your experience with World crate engines and saying that they were all blems got me to thinking. I have seen several aftermarket blocks for sale at discount prices on E-bay that are blems. Many of them have porosities. I am reluctant to buy one of them because I figure what is there that I can't see? If this engine turns out not to have significant leakdown issues- (has that been done yet?) then I would not be surprised to find that to be the case.
Can't answer 100%....but I know they cast in Canada
A blem could be anything...this is what they are not telling you...it could be deck porosity....a knick or chunk broke off somewhere....
I have actually bought them from Dart too....they are just not cosmetically perfect....
But in all these years I have only seen one with bore porosity...and Bill and Bill Jr. (my old boss) wouldn't risk it.....but you never know.
The bore is the easiest place for the molten metal to pore...so you
just don't see it....it fills there well.
If Dart had a porous block...they would bore it to the next "sellable" size.
Worlds boring bar rarely got used....(it was a Rottler bore/deck combo)
The only time we used the boring bar was to build 632's

Jebby
Old 04-07-2012, 03:23 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
It seems the OP has a valid problem that is being addressed throughout this mess of a thread. I am trying to keep the thread open for the OP's benefit, without giving anyone a vacation.

PLease understand that continued bickering, online hostility, open criticism of the moderators and the rest of the junk that has been going on here is not helping anyone.

If anyone is under the impression only "obscenity" results in deletions, edit and worse, vacations, please review the link below.

Please stay on course and stick with the discussion at hand. .

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
Thanks....but phone calls are cool too....
I am not a business....this is just a hobby....but I do have ability to ship.

y

I will help if I can....been around C2's all my life.

Jebby
Welcome to the Forum!

Nice offer, BUT it looks like a business to me.

Become a supporting vendor. Or place your offers in another part of the Forum.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 04-07-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:45 PM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869

Please stay on course and stick with the discussion at hand.
To me it looks like there have been lots of good suggestions but the Op has taken none of them to check out the problem. I don't think he was really looking for a solution, just a validation that his engine is crap, and he has a right to b!tch about it.

To the OP, I agree, yer engine is crap, you should purchase a new one and send the old one to me.

Quick Reply: Blowby question World Product Motor 415