C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is there a secret to removing C2 vent weatherstrip?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:57 PM
BrentF
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default Is there a secret to removing C2 vent weatherstrip?

It appears the only way to install the weatherstripping on a C2 vent window is to remove the vent window from the outer vent window frame.

Have I got this correct?

What's the preferred method of removing the vent window from it's outer frame? I am inclined to remove the two rivets that hold the pivot hinge to the outer vent frame.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:15 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

You don't need to take out any rivets. Remove the frame from the car. Push down on the window/glass, and it will come off of the pin.

Mike Coletta
Old 04-03-2012, 08:08 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by mike coletta
You don't need to take out any rivets. Remove the frame from the car. Push down on the window/glass, and it will come off of the pin.

Mike Coletta
I think you're talking about a convertible, which is correct. On a coupe as I'm recalling, I think you have to remove the single rivet at the upper part of the vent window pivot, then replace once the weatherstrip is installed. I'm also recalling that some folks have cut through one side of the new weatherstrip where the shaft on the vent window passes through in order to avoid removing and replacing the rivet. Not sure how this has worked out, maybe somebody will give you some information on this procedure.

I removed and replaced the rivet, but I was doing a complete paint and removed and replaced all window glass, weatherstrip, etc.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
I think you're talking about a convertible, which is correct. On a coupe as I'm recalling, I think you have to remove the single rivet at the upper part of the vent window pivot, then replace once the weatherstrip is installed. I'm also recalling that some folks have cut through one side of the new weatherstrip where the shaft on the vent window passes through in order to avoid removing and replacing the rivet. Not sure how this has worked out, maybe somebody will give you some information on this procedure.

I removed and replaced the rivet, but I was doing a complete paint and removed and replaced all window glass, weatherstrip, etc.

Me too - on my coupe. It would be great if there was a way to do it w/o drilling out the rivet but there isn't.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:08 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by BrentF
It appears the only way to install the weatherstripping on a C2 vent window is to remove the vent window from the outer vent window frame.

Have I got this correct?

What's the preferred method of removing the vent window from it's outer frame? I am inclined to remove the two rivets that hold the pivot hinge to the outer vent frame.
That's how I did it on my coupe.

Jim
Old 04-03-2012, 09:14 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

oops!!! You're right. I didn't look at the picture. On a coupe you have to remove the rivets.

Mike Coletta
Old 04-03-2012, 09:48 AM
BrentF
Burning Brakes

Okay, thanks guys. Just wanted to be sure before I did anything rash (and unnecessary).

Looks like invasive procedures are required, as I am dealing with a coupe and not a convertible.

I think the idea of cutting the weatherstripping defeats why I am replacing it in the first place, so I'll be going the rivet route.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 AM
BrentF
Burning Brakes

Will I need one of these to flare the end of the rivet, on the hinge pivot?

Old 04-03-2012, 10:11 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

I used regular pop rivets to replace the 2 that attach the hinge to the frame because they are hidden. That way, the visible hinge rivet remains untouched.

Jim
Old 04-03-2012, 10:28 AM
BrentF
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1snake
I used regular pop rivets to replace the 2 that attach the hinge to the frame because they are hidden. That way, the visible hinge rivet remains untouched.

Jim
Jim, that's what I am tempted to do as well. Did you find that the weatherstripping could be installed easily with the hinge already in place, since doing it your way changes the sequence of install, from:

complete weatherstrip install first, then hinge pivot install

to

partial weatherstrip install (at T bar end) , hinge pivot install, then balance of weatherstrip install

Last edited by BrentF; 04-03-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:38 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Brent,

I don't remember the exact sequence but it will be obvious when you start putting it back together. It was quite easy.

Jim
Old 04-03-2012, 10:48 AM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Do it the right way

While it's very tempting to install the W/S by cutting it, the right way is to pull the vent window assembly and drill out the pivot rivet. That piece of W/S is $30 to $40 and it seems silly to cut it up instead of taking the extra time to do it right.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:06 PM
BrentF
Burning Brakes

I didn't know whether I wanted to chance replacing the hinge pivot rivet or take the easier route and replace the two rivets that hold the hinge mechanism to the frame, but Corvette Central made that decision for me, since the hinge pivot rivet (CC part # 282216)is on back order until April 10th.

Rather than going with a conventional rivet, as Jim suggested, to hold the hinge to the frame (2 rivets required), I decided to go with the rivets that are available as a pair that hold the T bar to the frame (CC part # 282137), to adhere to originality.

This way I can avoid buying the fancy (one use for me) rivet tool pictured above, since the rivets are not visible.

Last edited by BrentF; 04-03-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:23 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

I didn't know whether I wanted to chance replacing the hinge pivot rivet or take the easier route and replace the two rivets that hold the hinge mechanism to the frame, but Corvette Central made that decision for me, since the hinge pivot rivet (CC part # 282216)is on back order until April 10th.

Rather than going with a conventional rivet, as Jim suggested, to hold the hinge to the frame (2 rivets required), I decided to go with the rivets that are available as a pair that hold the T bar to the frame (CC part # 282137), to adhere to originality.

This way I can avoid buying the fancy (one use for me) rivet tool pictured above, since the rivets are not visible.
I was going to go that route as well and even bought the rivets you're talking about BUT found it almost impossible to install them because the W/S was in the way. Pop rivets were quick and simple.

Jim
Old 04-03-2012, 12:45 PM
BrentF
Burning Brakes

Jim: Your suggestion of pop rivets will be my back-up if things prove too difficult otherwise.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

OK, I'm one of those great offenders who cut the weatherstrip. Cut it open at the hole for the hinge pin with a razor blade. Put it back together with weatherstrip adhesive after it was installed. Is it perfect? No, but you have to look close to tell that it's been messed with. And my car is far from NCRS or show or any of that.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1snake

Jim
Do it as you please, but I'd rather do the hinge rivet, they're available from several sources other than CC. You really don't need the tool to set the rivet, it's not a solid shank rivet as I'm recalling. I think the ones I procured had a hollow end, and I used either a B-B (yes, from a BB gun) or a small ball bearing from somewhere. Placed the ball (or BB) on the hollow end of the rivet and used a pair of Vice Grip pliers to upset the hollow end of the rivet. Use a couple layers of tape on the flat head of the rivet to keep from marring or scratching it. Worked like a charm, can't tell it from the factory one I removed.

Get notified of new replies

To Is there a secret to removing C2 vent weatherstrip?

Old 04-03-2012, 10:17 PM
BrentF
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
Do it as you please, but I'd rather do the hinge rivet, they're available from several sources other than CC. You really don't need the tool to set the rivet, it's not a solid shank rivet as I'm recalling. I think the ones I procured had a hollow end, and I used either a B-B (yes, from a BB gun) or a small ball bearing from somewhere. Placed the ball (or BB) on the hollow end of the rivet and used a pair of Vice Grip pliers to upset the hollow end of the rivet. Use a couple layers of tape on the flat head of the rivet to keep from marring or scratching it. Worked like a charm, can't tell it from the factory one I removed.

That's a really good suggestion for setting the hinge rivet. The hinge rivet has benefits to it, namely there is only one per vent and the setting of the rivet is more accessible that the other two on the hinge itself.

Here's the hinge rivet. No doubt it is hollow on the left hand side in the picture below:

Old 04-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Here's the hinge rivet. No doubt it is hollow on the left hand side in the picture below:

As I'm recalling, mine was . . . . .

Old 04-04-2012, 04:51 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Yes, it is - it's a semi-tubular rivet (solid at the head end, tubular at the tail end).

Quick Reply: Is there a secret to removing C2 vent weatherstrip?