C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Want to Find My Dad's '66 Vette, Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 03:33 AM
tkinney1016
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to Find My Dad's '66 Vette, Please Read

Hey folks-

As the title says, I am hoping to find my Dad's 66 corvette. He had this in probably the late 70's and made a few changes to it which may set it apart. I have no idea what the vin or plate was so I know this is a long shot. I have asked family and friends for info but the best I have is a description, no vin, no insurance info.

I'm looking for a 1966 Corvette, convertible, originally was yellow with a black top (possibly hard top shell). Originally had a 327 motor. He changed the motor to a 350 and painted the car a maroon color. He rear ended someone and then sold it cause he couldn't fix it. He lived in Bakersfield California and sol it to someone here too I believe. I'm just hoping someone will maybe recognize this car and maybe it will pop up.

The reason I'm searching for this is because he passed away in a 3 wheeler accident when I was 9 months old. It would be awesome to find this small piece of his past.

Any info is greatly appreciated! Please PM me or post

Tyler Kinney
Old 04-07-2012, 07:21 AM
Jeffsvettes
Instructor

Sorry I don't have any info on the car. Just want to say good luck in your search. It's an very long shot, but you never know it doesn't hurt to try.
Jeff
Old 04-07-2012, 08:16 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

If you could find an old registration with the state that showed the VIN number it would be very helpful. Otherwise it is like looking for a needle in the perverbial haystack.

Originally Posted by tkinney1016
Hey folks-

As the title says, I am hoping to find my Dad's 66 corvette. He had this in probably the late 70's and made a few changes to it which may set it apart. I have no idea what the vin or plate was so I know this is a long shot. I have asked family and friends for info but the best I have is a description, no vin, no insurance info.

I'm looking for a 1966 Corvette, convertible, originally was yellow with a black top (possibly hard top shell). Originally had a 327 motor. He changed the motor to a 350 and painted the car a maroon color. He rear ended someone and then sold it cause he couldn't fix it. He lived in Bakersfield California and sol it to someone here too I believe. I'm just hoping someone will maybe recognize this car and maybe it will pop up.

The reason I'm searching for this is because he passed away in a 3 wheeler accident when I was 9 months old. It would be awesome to find this small piece of his past.

Any info is greatly appreciated! Please PM me or post

Tyler Kinney

Last edited by 66BlkBB; 04-07-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:21 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

If you can find an old insurance policy for it, that might have the VIN. It's a long shot, but do you have date and location on the accident he had with it? Most likely the police report would only have the plate, not the VIN but worth checking. Without the VIN you will have a tough time, unless someone who knew someone hears about you. Also, it might help - in a post like this - to put a rough time line. Did this happen in the 1970's, or more recently?

Last suggestion is see if there is a Corvette Club in the area you last knew the car was - maybe someone there will recall it.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

First you need to post as much information as you can. How many Corvettes were yellow and wrecked? Bunches. In Bakersfield? Narrows it down a lot, but there is nothing to say it stayed there. In the late '70s, it could have been trailered to Pomona and sold in parts for more than the car, or gone down to LA to be restored as it was just the beginning.

Or still sitting in that garage somewhere and the guy is "going to restore it one day".

Pictures help.

Your mother is your best source. Old insurance policies, even the name of the insurance agent. If your dad had a small local agent at the time, he might still have some record.

She might remember some of his friends from them, especially car buddies. Maybe a Corvette club, like Railroadman said.

Car loan? Credit union, bank, etc.

When was it wrecked?

When was it sold?

Any idea where the 327 it had went to? (Uncle, brother, friend, behind your shed, etc.) If original, it has the partial VIN.

But without a VIN or another unique identifier, you will never know which of the probably 1000 or so yellow convertibles is his.

Good luck.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:27 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

The VIN would be a critical part of your search. Try DMV records.

Then try http://www.c2registry.org/ and NCRS.

Good luck with the search!!!

Cheers,
JB
Old 04-07-2012, 11:07 AM
tkinney1016
Cruising

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! I guess I should have clarified a few things in the first post, it was late and I hate to start rambling.

My father passed several years after he sold the car. He sold it to some guy that saw the wreck and knew the car was worth something. I have asked about insurance or anything else that would have some record of the car and my mother and his friends don't recall his insurance (this was over 30 years ago now). He also had this car before they were married and before I was born.

I called the DMV and they cannot do a search of previous cars owned by a person by their name, only current vehicles. I was told he possibly received several tickets I the car so after the weekend I was going to check to see if the courts have those records still.

I will check the corvette registry and corvette club as well. I am actually searching for his 80 Vette as well.

I do know this is a long shot but I'm just hoping the few differences in the car will set it apart if the right person sees this.

Thanks again for all of the help and support!
Old 04-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! I guess I should have clarified a few things in the first post, it was late and I hate to start rambling.

My father passed several years after he sold the car. He sold it to some guy that saw the wreck and knew the car was worth something. I have asked about insurance or anything else that would have some record of the car and my mother and his friends don't recall his insurance (this was over 30 years ago now). He also had this car before they were married and before I was born.

I called the DMV and they cannot do a search of previous cars owned by a person by their name, only current vehicles. I was told he possibly received several tickets I the car so after the weekend I was going to check to see if the courts have those records still.

I will check the corvette registry and corvette club as well. I am actually searching for his 80 Vette as well.

I do know this is a long shot but I'm just hoping the few differences in the car will set it apart if the right person sees this.

Thanks again for all of the help and support!
If the person who bought it sees this, he might recognize and remember. What are the odds? Try buying a lottery ticket. At least then if you win, you can hire a detective who will have better access to some things. Sorry to sound that way.

Back in the '70s, lots of old Corvettes got 350s as they made more power and were cheap and readily available if the previous engine died or became sick.

As said here before, the VIN is critical to getting his car. There could be a few dozen just like it. And there is no reason to believe the car stayed there. As the prices of Corvettes climbed in the '80s, they began migrating all across the country with sales, auctions, and such. Even if the guy who bought it was there in town, he could have easily sold it to someone 500 or 1000 miles away.

And all those unique changes would have been erased in the first restoration. With so many begin restored, those little individualisms in a car were removed quickly. It is very rare to find one that somehow survived in its '70s state into today. There were big pushes in price and restoration periods - '79-'83, '88-91, '04- '07, where prices went nuts and people scrounged every car out there to buy, restore, and sell at a profit.

I hope you get lucky, but it will take time and luck, lots of it. Post this information everywhere you can, and maybe you will get lucky.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:48 PM
tkinney1016
Cruising

I am basically relying on luck. I am in law enforcement but the resources I have only work if I have more info.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

I am basically relying on luck. I am in law enforcement but the resources I have only work if I have more info.
As been said the only real hope is the VIN number. I started my search for a vette I owned 33 years ago. I had the VIN number, contacted a law enforcement office I knew, he ran the vin, gave me a name and address, i called information and got the guys number. He had my car. You have a chance!!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:32 PM
tkinney1016
Cruising

Yea I know there is a chance but finding the vin is proving to be the hardest part. My dads friend also said he looked online and thinks it may have been a 67 cause it had the 67 hood. Never know though, the vin is going to be my golden ticket, without it I think I'm SOL.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,275 Likes on 815 Posts

Find one similar and make it the way you guys would have liked it to be.
Your search would be simplified. Good Luck.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:15 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
Find one similar and make it the way you guys would have liked it to be.
Your search would be simplified. Good Luck.
More good advice.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

it may have been a 67 cause it had the 67 hood.
If you have been doing some homework on that generation Corvette, you probably already know hood swaps were far from rare. The big block '67 hood is sharp looking and they have been installed in any year C-2 there is. It's an easy mod.

Good luck with the search - don't get your hopes up too high, but don't give up either.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:01 AM
tkinney1016
Cruising

I agree with everyone. I thing there are too many possibilities and without a vin there isn't any way to confirm if I found the right one anyways.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:28 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The accident report would have the vin of your father's car. I would work on that aspect first. If you know the city or county, they may still have a copy. The state central files may also have a copy.

Good luck.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:04 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Treasure map

Walk up the trail 20 paces past the hangmans noose, forge the river and climb down the cliff. Then 25341 more paces and turn left at the McDonalds, then another 460,201 paces and stop, then go true south by southeast 5 paces past the rock, to the X. or you might try to remember where he sold it and ask around, basically try to forward track the Ownership.

Get notified of new replies

To Want to Find My Dad's '66 Vette, Please Read

Quick Reply: Want to Find My Dad's '66 Vette, Please Read