Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C1 & C2 Corvettes
General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations Sponsored by
Flaming River
Industries

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 04-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
Dave Tracy
CF Senior Member

Default California black & yellow license plate paint

Yesterday I started restoring my CA black and yellow plates that are original to my '64 coupe. They were not bad for 48 years old but had some rust. I must say the bad boys at Folsom really know how to put on paint. I soaked the plates for an hour in stripper and it had no effect. I have some photos that I will post of the project when completed. I have scoured the internet and have not been able to determine the black that was used. I believe it was a satin black, not a gloss black. The yellow is Caterpillar yellow. Also, was the paint enamel? Any help would be appreciated.
Dave Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
mike 64

I used left over por15 satin black and chrome yellow on my 64
mike 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
65 fi
CF Senior Member

I saw this on-line: http://www.tagdr.com/#
65 fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
emdoller
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 fi View Post
I saw this on-line: http://www.tagdr.com/#
I've used him before and his work is amazing. My plates had a few dents and when I got them back they looked better than new.

Ed
emdoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
mrg
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Tracy View Post
Yesterday I started restoring my CA black and yellow plates that are original to my '64 coupe. They were not bad for 48 years old but had some rust. I must say the bad boys at Folsom really know how to put on paint. I soaked the plates for an hour in stripper and it had no effect. I have some photos that I will post of the project when completed. I have scoured the internet and have not been able to determine the black that was used. I believe it was a satin black, not a gloss black. The yellow is Caterpillar yellow. Also, was the paint enamel? Any help would be appreciated.
Dave ..
Wondering what you came up for black and yellow paint for the license plate redo. Was the black paint satin, semi, or gloss?. Did you use Caterpillar yellow? .. Enamel or lacquer?
Also looking to redo my CA black and yellow plates. Any info passed on - much appreciated.
mrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
1963GrayGray
CF Senior Member

I have a set of 63 plates and both the yellow and black are very shiney. They are not restored, and appear to have been used very little.

Dave
1963GrayGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Dave Tracy
CF Senior Member

I am almost done and have taken photos along the way. I plan on posting soon but to answer your questions, I used acrylic enamel paint. The black was gloss black and the yellow was 1975 Dodge School Bus Yellow.
Dave Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
mrg
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Tracy View Post
I am almost done and have taken photos along the way. I plan on posting soon but to answer your questions, I used acrylic enamel paint. The black was gloss black and the yellow was 1975 Dodge School Bus Yellow.
Dave ..
Thanks for passing on the info. Looking forward to seeing pics of your finished black and yellow plates.
mrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:52 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Reload this Page California black & yellow license plate paint

Tags
black, ca, california, jobs, licence, license, oceanside, paint, painting, plate, plates, powered, restoring, vbulletin, yellow