C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Problem With New Harrison Radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:58 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,171 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by BigT-65
On the way to my club meeting tonight I tried a little experiment. I completely isolated the radio from the car by hooking it up to a motorcycle battery. The radio still turned off and on repeatedly. So the signal is apparently not coming from the voltage regulator and must be traveling through the air, probably from the Ignitor ignition. This would also explain why it will play all day without the engine running and start screwing up while driving.
Do you have the ignition shielding in place? If not, a top shield may be all that's necessary.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:54 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,039 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Issues such as this are why I've kept the points ignition in my 67.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:14 AM
BigT-65
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tomandjanet2
First lets break the problem in half, I heard a lot about the voltage regulator, is that the problem? Why not eliminate the cause and effect, first place a voltmeter in parallel with the radio and have someone watch it while you drive if it peaks at or around 15 vdc you then will know that the internal cb in the radio is taking you off line. There are things that you can install that would clamp the flow but I don't want to get ahead of my self. there are very many smart guys on this forum and I think most of them would agree that you try one thing at a time.
I seem to have the same radio and all I can get it to do is light up I am going to talk to Tx. tomorrow I have done all the trouble shooting that they told me to do so I can think its time to send it back. You guys are lucky at least you have music in the garage.
I have discovered that when mine shuts down and either just lights up or doesn't do anything at all if I disconnect my negative battery cable for 15 or 20 seconds then hook it back up the radio resets and comes on.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:21 AM
BigT-65
Racer

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
If the antenna is grounded somewhere to the chassis, the radio is not totally isolated from the car.
But I assume the antenna is not grounded (I did not check how this is done in a C2, if someone knows...) , so a last simple test is to ground the radio to the car (have the minus of your motorcycle battery connected to the ground of the car). Just trying to eliminate the possibilities.
Your right I forgot about the antenna being grounded, but my antenna is not the stock electric one. I have a auto parts store antenna and I don't think it is grounded. Anyway, at this point I am confident that the problem is being caused by a frequency from the Pertronix ignition. Harrison says they isolated the problem to those HEI ignitions and have modified their radio to handle them. My radio will be coming out this weekend and going back for a replacement. We will see how that turns out.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:10 AM
BigT-65
Racer

Originally Posted by toddalin
Do you have the ignition shielding in place? If not, a top shield may be all that's necessary.
The ignition shielding is off. I would like to put it on to see if it does any good, but the radio has to come out tomorrow. They are going to send me a new model that supposedly has addressed this problem. If the new one acts up I will try the ignition shielding.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:06 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Pertronix is not an HEI ignition; its an electronic points conversion.

I'm skeptical that an errant radio frequency output from an ignition system would make a radio inoperative, maybe cause interference, but that is about it. If it were the Pertronix why would it take up to 20 minutes for the problem to occur as in post #6 above ? Why does the problem occur with USB input ?

I'll bet if you put points back in your car as a test the problem doesn't go away.

The vendor may have found and fixed their problem but I'm skeptical its a Pertronix issue. Sounds a whole lot more like a thermal or design problem to me.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-19-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Milliamp
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default More two cents

[QUOTE=Frankie the Fink;1587864739]Pertronix is not an HEI ignition; its an electronic points conversion.

I'm skeptical that an errant radio frequency output from an ignition system would make a radio inoperative, maybe cause interference, but that is about it. If it were the Pertronix why would it take up to 20 minutes for the problem to occur as in post #6 above ? Why does the problem occur with USB input ?

I'll bet if you put points back in your car as a test the problem doesn't go away.

Called tx. today did some more trouble shooting was told it could be a blown transistor. New radio in the mail, say what you want they stand behind their product. Wish you luck guys Tom
Old 09-19-2014, 11:40 PM
BigT-65
Racer

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. There has to be a reason why the problem only occurs when the car is running. It has to be either interference or the power spikes. When we get the new one in we'll see.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:51 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. There has to be a reason why the problem only occurs when the car is running. It has to be either interference or the power spikes. When we get the new one in we'll see.
keep us updated, cause I am redesigning my whole radio set-up too ;-)
Old 10-12-2014, 12:17 AM
BigT-65
Racer

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
keep us updated, cause I am redesigning my whole radio set-up too ;-)
I'm still waiting for the replacement radio.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:26 AM
vette_20
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with harrison radio

I 2 had a problem with a Harrison radio ,i sent it back and they replaced it ,seems ok now but does not have a good sound.
as I live in Australia there is shipping cost also ,so will put up with for now but will replace in time.
at least did not have problems with changing it ,but must be lots better on the market
Old 10-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Sophocles
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
I think what I would do is to call Harrison and ask them a few questions about voltage spikes and how much voltage could trigger a power loss. Then I'd check to see what voltage readings you're getting at the battery.

I forgot to mention this before. The way I finally KNEW the radio was getting too much voltage (and you might try this) was when I would run other auxiliary sources. As soon as I got a power loss at the radio I turned on the heater fan to high, which of course drew power, and almost IMMEDIATELY the radio came back on! Shut the fan off and minutes later no radio. Hope that helps.
Gary
GREAT advice! This CF is awesome. My KHE-300 has cut out sporadically for five+ years. I'll try the heater fix next time. Now I have a new problem: FM works fine. IPOD works fine. AM used to work fine. Now my AM is BARELY audible with volume **** turned all the way up. Any ideas?
Old 10-29-2014, 12:22 AM
BigT-65
Racer

I got the replacement radio in yesterday and installed it today. This radio is somewhat different from the older model I had. This one has digital readout for bass, treble, fade, balance, etc. I like it a lot better. I took the car out for a 40 minute or so test using the USB and FM. I didn't experience any of the cutting off and on, loosing pre-sets and other erratic behavior I was getting with the old radio. I am hoping for the best. If I have any more problems I will be back with a report.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:29 PM
Sophocles
Intermediate

I got the replacement radio in yesterday and installed it today. This radio is somewhat different from the older model I had. This one has digital readout for bass, treble, fade, balance, etc. I like it a lot better. I took the car out for a 40 minute or so test using the USB and FM. I didn't experience any of the cutting off and on, loosing pre-sets and other erratic behavior I was getting with the old radio. I am hoping for the best. If I have any more problems I will be back with a report.
Does it have AM? Do you have a current email for Harrison?
Old 11-01-2014, 12:42 AM
BigT-65
Racer

Originally Posted by Sophocles
Does it have AM? Do you have a current email for Harrison?
I didn't even try the AM. The radio has it but I will probably never use it. In fact the USB and ipod port are what I will be listening to most. This is the email I contacted them with b.williams@vintagecaraudio.com Right now I am wiring some relays for my headlights, I should be done with it tomorrow. I will try the AM then and get back.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:44 AM
65 Hardnoks
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Put all things aside and add some logic. ...... You just might have bought a DUD.

Case in point,

In 1992, I was in the process of installing my car stereo.
One of the brand new components was acting up.
Called Precision Power and told them that my BRAND NEW FRX-322 was bad.
They said, "No way!).
Told them that I was using an oscilliscope to tune the components and the 332 was putting out Sine waves.
Sent the FRX-322 back to them.
They called me 2 weeks or less and told me that I was right!

I
Old 11-02-2014, 09:00 PM
BigT-65
Racer

I didn't even try the AM. The radio has it but I will probably never use it. In fact the USB and ipod port are what I will be listening to most. This is the email I contacted them with b.williams@vintagecaraudio.com Right now I am wiring some relays for my headlights, I should be done with it tomorrow. I will try the AM then and get back.
I tried the AM, it works pretty good. The unit is still running without any problems. Maybe it is fixed.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:55 PM
Sophocles
Intermediate

Thanks for checking and posting the reply. My AM worked for years, so ... I'll contact Harrison with the address you gave, see if they've ever heard of such a thing. Till then I guess I'll get my fix of sports talk radio another way. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Problem With New Harrison Radio