C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Radiator Flush

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 07:34 AM
whitting63
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Radiator Flush

How often should you flush or change coolant? I drive my 67 about 1000 miles per year
Old 04-13-2012, 07:44 AM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 573 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

With that kind of mileage, I would guess about every 5 years. We can all get parnoid and drain the motor, pull the engine, and place on an engine stand until we drive again. Use a recommended coolant with distilled water and you should be okay IMHO.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:29 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,558 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I've had pretty good luck changing the coolant every 3 or so years. 50/50 mix of distilled water and anti freeze.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:55 AM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Antifreeze never wears out, but the corrosion additives and wetting agents do. You can buy just the additives. I never change the antifreeze in any of my cars, I just add the additives every three or four years. Prevent the corrosion, and you never have to flush its by products out!

The antifreeze in my 66 is 20 years old and still bright green and working fine.

Harry

Last edited by 66since71; 04-13-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by 66since71
Antifreeze never wears out, but the corrosion additives and wetting agents do. You can buy just the additives. I never change the antifreeze in any of my cars, I just add the additives every three or four years. Prevent the corrosion, and you never have to flush its by products out!

The antifreeze in my 66 is 20 years old and still bright green and working fine.

Harry
Harry:

Many folks do this, and it seems to work out okay. Especially prevalent with the big diesel rigs.

However, the glycol in the antifreeze will slowly degrade/decompose over time to corrosive organic acids. The additives MAY keep them in check indefinitely, but maybe not. I would suggest a complete drain and refill at some point.

Larry
Old 04-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

If your car has an aluminum rad, especially an original Harrison, do not use a flushing agent.

Paul
Old 04-13-2012, 12:28 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by 66since71

Harry

Same here, but I "only" go 10 years between changes! A ph test strip (remember your High School chemistry?) check every year or so is a good way to monitor the condition/possible deterioration of the anti freeze and decide when to use the additives. I like Griot's Garage "Corrosion Inhibitor" or Prestone "Super Radiator Anti Rust".
Old 04-13-2012, 05:28 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I have heard that distilled water is for certain uses, and auto engine cooling is not one of them. A chemist and car guy I respect claims distilled water, lacking minerals, tends to pull them from metals it contacts, thus you end up with what you tried to avoid.

OTOH, some luxury car brands have specified distilled with coolant for some years, yet AIR Rolls Royce USED to specify 100% coolant, which I think would lower the boiling point.

I kind of doubt Chevy puts distilled in new Corvettes, but don't know for sure.

Please enlighten me on any or all of the above!
Old 04-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by sub006
I have heard that distilled water is for certain uses, and auto engine cooling is not one of them. A chemist and car guy I respect claims distilled water, lacking minerals, tends to pull them from metals it contacts, thus you end up with what you tried to avoid.

OTOH, some luxury car brands have specified distilled with coolant for some years, yet AIR Rolls Royce USED to specify 100% coolant, which I think would lower the boiling point.

I kind of doubt Chevy puts distilled in new Corvettes, but don't know for sure.

Please enlighten me on any or all of the above!
Distilled water is your friend. What do you think Prestone and Zerex use in their 50/50 coolant mix?? They do not use municipal tap water. I know for a fact that the Asian imports specify distilled water in their cooling systems.

Deionized and demineralized water are more severe types of purified water. They use special resins and reverse osmosis to reduce the mineral content to near zero. This is needed for certain industrial operations like making boiler feedwater for high pressure boilers and heat recovery steam generators (HRSGs) Most commercial distilled water (1 gallon bottles etc) is not in this category.

Don't know what else to say. Either you believe or you do not.

Larry

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator Flush

Quick Reply: Radiator Flush