C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Purchased 66 Vette yesterday. Looking for advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
Those headers have done pretty well on race cars for years..but they have extremely long primaries and the 4" collector is way too large for all but the most serious race motors.

But all this aside, I was looking at pure aesthetics more than anything and I truly believe that without a cam change and a lot more RPM..a different set of headers would pick this engine up a lot in performance through the curve. The shorties aren't perfect and not as good as true long tubes...but just a different option than going back to manifolds.

Take a search here and look for 632C2's posts on his latest 680 RWHP C-3 using ported iron manifolds with a solid roller 540" motor!

JIM
Originally Posted by Jebbysan
Jim...great commentary....and yes I was thinking 4.366 bore....to round off to 4.370....but yes you are correct...4.466 bore

The primaries are long.....but would this not just enhance the 502's torque characteristics.....ahhh...splitting hairs.

I would be interested to know if these are the 1 7/8" size....

Anyway....no denying that this car is a sick creature.....

Jebby
thank you guys for the very interesting dialog. You can't buy all of the information I have received today. I just went over and measured and they are 2" headers......they measure about 2 1/4 inch outside.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Originally Posted by bigearl56
That my friend is one Bad Azz ride. The stance is just great.

Earl
I have to say "Stance" is one of my favorite car words. If you do not have the stance you aint cool
Old 04-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Congrats on a sharp looking car! You have a lot of HP on tap so make sure the brakes are REAL good. Keep the pipes, but think about flipping the white letters in. A white and black interior is as good as it can get. It looks like it's set up for a hardtop. Dennis
it does have 4 wheel disc brakes but I should check them out. Original single master cylinder.

I am not a white letter guy either. The seller had just put new rubber on the car this past month but they do need switched.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Damn that's a nice car and if the interior is worn and needs replacing, 'Al Knoch' is in Florida a couple of times a year and could install a set of his covers either leather or vinyl without shipping yours all over... He makes all the big Vette shows and his crew installs right at the shows...a simple call could get it done...I just cant get over how good your piece looks....If it were mine. the current changes are about all I would change keeping a basically stock look.....nice car and deserves the best...

'Al is on the internet if interested and I do have a little pull with him....
Old 04-15-2012, 10:43 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I would reverse the tires, and see how it looks then. The car looks bad azz! Congratulations on the purchase!!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default 66

What a beautiful car! As far as the exhaust goes, my friend has the same set up in his 383 68 coupe. Nice sound and the car screams. The downside is the heat from the uncovered pipes. Bear skin ond those pipes don't go well together. My friend's wife really burned her leg on his car. That said, if you are going to keep the pipes and want to coat them, there is a shop up here in north Tampa called American Powder Coating. They are on Bearss Ave. They do jet coating and can handle small parts to entire frames in their walk in ovens. Perry does nice work. Ask him about his 383 small block Harley. If you do decide to coat them, make sure the pipes have no rust spots. You can hang them and hit them with a hammer and listen for sour notes. Regarding the interior, it looks like the seats you have are leather. I bought leather from Wilcox and really like them. A local shop covered my pair for about $200. I supplied the foam and covers. PM me if I can be of any help. Jerry
Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome and Congratulations!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Lou64
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by toocrazy
I believe it to be an Indiana car as the seller is from Indiana and purchased it around 1987. He said it was an Indiana car. I guess I should look farther back into its history before 1987.
Was it Southern IN? How long ago did he paint the Stinger? I may have seen this car before at a show. I thought it was all red though, but I definitely remember the 502. Was sad it (or at least the 502) lost best engine to a supercarged '04 Roush Mustang at that show.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:57 AM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

With...

or without...

Old 04-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Originally Posted by KC John
With...

or without...
Yor are the man.......ha ha man that was so thoughtful of you to do the comparison of raised white letters to black wall. Corvette guys are cool
Old 04-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
What a beautiful car! As far as the exhaust goes, my friend has the same set up in his 383 68 coupe. Nice sound and the car screams. The downside is the heat from the uncovered pipes. Bear skin ond those pipes don't go well together. My friend's wife really burned her leg on his car. That said, if you are going to keep the pipes and want to coat them, there is a shop up here in north Tampa called American Powder Coating. They are on Bearss Ave. They do jet coating and can handle small parts to entire frames in their walk in ovens. Perry does nice work. Ask him about his 383 small block Harley. If you do decide to coat them, make sure the pipes have no rust spots. You can hang them and hit them with a hammer and listen for sour notes. Regarding the interior, it looks like the seats you have are leather. I bought leather from Wilcox and really like them. A local shop covered my pair for about $200. I supplied the foam and covers. PM me if I can be of any help. Jerry
thanks Jerry, I heard of American Powder Coating. I think they are the people who just do the black "jet hot coating" and not the silver if I remember right. I saw some black coated headers at a show this past week and they still looked almost new. The silver just does not hold up. Think your right about the seats. I am going to buy the seat covers and foam and have a local guy cover them. As pointed out it is silly to spend the shipping charges. I would really invested in good covers.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

[QUOTE=Tampa Jerry;1580568409]What a beautiful car! . That said, if you are going to keep the pipes and want to coat them, there is a shop up here in north Tampa called American Powder Coating. They are on Bearss Ave. They do jet coating and can handle small parts to entire frames in their walk in ovens. Perry does nice work. Ask him about his 383 small block Harley. /QUOTE]

Yes, American Powder coating a very good friend, 'Perry Mead is the owner

PS, I`m almost positive he does all colors as he wanted to powder coat all the parts of my 66 Bonneville for me

Last edited by Ironcross; 04-16-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default American Powder Coating

Ironcross: You are correct about Perry. His sales slip lists his name as Mead Power Coating as well. He does sand and soda blasting also. His shop is a few miles north of my office. He has done a ton of work on my 66 & 68 vettes as well as my 70 Chevelle. If I remember correctly, Perry said he was originally from Detroit. Jerry
Old 04-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Willie'sVette
Burning Brakes

Very pretty car...although I'm a stock sorta guy, I do admire the hood treatment

I'm shocked on the interior condition however & agree that should be the first thing u tackle.

I'm in the camp of those who could do w/o the custom pipes....they just seem too bulky for the nice clean lines of the rest of the car. I vote for putting oem/repo side pipes on.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
Ironcross: You are correct about Perry. His sales slip lists his name as Mead Power Coating as well. He does sand and soda blasting also. His shop is a few miles north of my office. He has done a ton of work on my 66 & 68 vettes as well as my 70 Chevelle. If I remember correctly, Perry said he was originally from Detroit. Jerry
Well not quite Detroit {Taylor} and his mother lives a 1/4 mile from me...Stops in every time he he comes North and is one very nice person....He went to Fla. several years ago to hunt Gator and enjoyed it so much he stayed...However I thought he sold that Chevy powered scooter

wally knoch
Old 04-16-2012, 04:32 PM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Congrads!

Congrads on the new (to you) Vette. I've had a few Vettes with the Hookers sidemounts and they are great for looks, great for power, not so great for cruising and BAD in the backs of you legs. I still have a scar on one of my legs from a sidepipe burn in the 70s! The good new is several vendors are selling a cover that will protect you and add a little bling to the pipes.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:19 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Great looking car! I realize that you may want to change a few things to "personalize" your newly acquired car, but that thing looks great just the way it is!!

Congrads on your purchase!

Get notified of new replies

To Purchased 66 Vette yesterday. Looking for advice.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:48 PM
fullmonty
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your beautiful car, I like the stance and the look of the pipes you've got., I could live with the white lettering. You may want to consider adding the headrests from the 67 seats.
I do have a very strong recommendation to immediately ditch the single master and upgrade to a boosted dual system, you will never regret the superior, predictable stopping power.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Originally Posted by fullmonty
Congrats on your beautiful car, I like the stance and the look of the pipes you've got......................
I do have a very strong recommendation to immediately ditch the single master and upgrade to a boosted dual system, you will never regret the superior, predictable stopping power.
I feel the same way. Any recommendations on a recommended product? We are currently building a 69 C10 pickup and it will have 14 inch Corvette Z06 brakes on it so I am familiar with wanting to be able to stop!. thanks
Old 04-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by toocrazy
I got the urge about a month ago to find my old 1966 Vette. Some of you probably saw my thread. Long story longer, found it, agreed on a price, and didn't buy it. I ended up wanting a convertible so I found one close to me in Ft. Myers. The owner had it since 1987 and being in the restoration business painted the car about 12 years ago. You can tell someone spent a lot of time blocking this car and the quality of the paintwork is outstanding. Not looking for a numbers matching car I was pleased to find out it had a 502 in it. WOW. I guess I like big cu in motors.

Here are my questions.

The door panels and the dash are in great shape however the interior carpet and seats are not so good. I think the car spent some time in the sun and the vinyl seats are history and the carpet is a little faded. Do most of you guys recover your own seats and if you do where is a good place to buy seat covers and new foam? Do you go with leather or vinyl?

The car has side mount headers as you can see. The owner liked the free flow exhaust and they do sound awesome. I am not so sure I like those pipes on there........seems like they would belong on the 1970's custom vette.

In your opinion do I

1. leave them on. I can have them ceramic coated black if I kept them.
2. Put factory side pipes on. Will shorty headers allow the use of the factory side pipes and wondering how big of an exhaust pipe will fit in the factory pipes.
3. No side pipes and put the exhaust out the back.

I know the pipes are personal taste but just wanting to get wisdom from vette owners.

It has been some time since I had a vette and wow am I excited to get back into them. I told my wife I may sell my hot rods and buy some more Corvettes

Are you sure those are vinyl seats? All the crisscross marks look more like leather. I agree, it looks like the foam in the driver's seat is gone. Al Knoch usually hits the January NCRS meet in Kissimmee and you could just order seats and let him bring them and install them.

The sidepipes are part of the character of the car. However, ladies and children frequently burn themselves on them, and you will only be careless wearing shorts once.

The factory type sidepipes will cut a lot of flow out and you will be like having a cork up the pipe on a 502.

Running a '67 dual reservoir master cylinder and a power booster is the way to go.

Also, you might want to reweb those seat belts. The fade looks like they have had their share of UV exposure and you may find that in a severe use, they fail.

Quick Reply: Purchased 66 Vette yesterday. Looking for advice.