C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Purchased 66 Vette yesterday. Looking for advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 05:35 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 137 Posts

your car rocks, I had a friend with one like that in the early 80's, the side pipes can be a real hazard, He had a girl burn the crap (scarred) out of her leg on them.

It was like...que loud rumbling noise......"hey watch out for the side pipes when you get out"......."What....kind of loud.......OOOOOUUUUCCCCHHHH"........"sh _t, f_ck, rat bastard burned the cr_p out of me"

Spoiled her whole day, no love. !

Plus side pipes kind of get old after awhile, the noise next you ear and the smell wafting up next your head.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:23 PM
KS69Coupe
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 151 Posts

Love the side pipes, watch your legs. It's a fast learning experience if you have a lapse in memory and forget they are there.

Kevin
Old 04-19-2012, 08:20 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

awesome lookin car, blackwalls, that's the plan, my vote is longtubes and 2-1/2" out the back and '67 rocker panel moldings ...

Last edited by vt65; 04-19-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
Are you sure those are vinyl seats? Al Knoch usually hits the January NCRS meet in Kissimmee and you could just order seats and let him bring them and install them.

Running a '67 dual reservoir master cylinder and a power booster is the way to go.

Also, you might want to reweb those seat belts. The fade looks like they have had their share of UV exposure and you may find that in a severe use, they fail.
What do you think of Wilcox Corvette seat covers? It seems like Al is the man when it comes to upholstery but I see Wilcox has a 10 percent off sale. I am buying seat foam, seat covers, seat backs, new seat chrome, carpet and padding, plus. At least $1100 worth of stuff and 10 percent is a pretty good lick. I will take your other advice too.

Originally Posted by John S 1961
your car rocks, I had a friend with one like that in the early 80's, the side pipes can be a real hazard,

Plus side pipes kind of get old after awhile, the noise next you ear and the smell wafting up next your head.
Originally Posted by KS69Coupe
Love the side pipes, watch your legs. It's a fast learning experience if you have a lapse in memory and forget they are there.

Kevin
Thank you guys for the warning. My first chevy van in 1973 at 16 had side pipes and I branded many young woman. We had 2 Corvettes with side pipes and caught a few people off guard in them. My original plan was to take them off but right now I am going to face the hazard. That 502 sounds AWESOME when you fire it up......you know that sound with just enough cam to make the motor sound bad. I think I am going to pull them off, powder coat them, and find out how many people don't listen to me say "watch out for those side pipes!!!!!!!"
Old 02-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

I finally decided to get busy on the Corvette. I have been busy with a few other projects have not had much time to do much of anything else. I ended up ordering the leather seats through Al Knock. While I was at it I purchased new carpet as well.

Here is the difference between the new and the old covers. Wow these new covers really look nice.

Here is a nice pile of new carpet.......

The seat frames were broken in a few places. We welded them up and made the necessary repairs. Cleaned up the metal and applied a fresh coat of black paint.

I forgot to mention I bought all new foam as well. The old foam had settled down through the springs. No wonder the seats were so uncomfortable.

I dont know what you guys think of this but I wanted to put a stereo system in the vette. I purchased a Clarion remote stereo control and decided to mount it in the clock location. I almost drilled a big hold in the clock before I realized these damn vette clocks are expensive. So, I cut out a metal ring and attached secured it to the two holes used to attach the rear of the clock assembly to the dash. At least I have made no modifications to the car and I can return the clock to its factory location if I sell the car. I am trying to buy just the outside clock bezel to install around the remote control so it looks a little more finished.

So, the car is still apart. I am going to try to get it all back together within a few weeks. I started installing the carpet but didnt finish. I feel I need to heat up the carpet to get it to mold better, particularly in the rear of the car. I am considering letting my upholstery guy cover the seats. There just aren't enough hours in the day!!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:17 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Hey
Neat idea with the clock/radio! Looks cool!
Old 02-04-2013, 03:38 AM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

All my women were branded as well, daughter, wife etc, so I had some stainless covers rolled to fit, attached with 4" hose clamps. Been on there for years and work great. Hit 'em with the IR gun. 97deg on the hottest day.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:20 AM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Revfan
Hey
I agree, what kind of clock/radio is that?
Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Jimbo64
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

you and your gal are a gonna burn your legs on them- guaranteed-----
Old 02-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by Revfan
Hey

Can we get a close up on that?
What Brand, features, Etc......
I am close to disconnecting my clock as all it does is drain the damn battery.

Jebby
Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

Great car...the clock radio idea is fantastic! Well done!

You happen to know the model # of the Clarion radio you installed?

Frank
Old 02-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

http://www.clarion.com/xe/en/product...476125038.html

Found it (I think)...Clarion MW 1?

Frank
Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

If it was my car;

1) Chrome Hooker Side Pipes

2) Lose the black hood stinger

3) Keep the interior stock, replace carpet and recover seats.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:05 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Is this Clarion unit just a head unit that controls a remote receiver located in another location?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:40 PM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

keep 'em and coat 'em !!!

Or.....Headman makes full lenght SBC headers that are for running facto sidepipes... they must also make BBC ones??
Old 02-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

I am glad you guys liked the idea. I wasnt sure if I would get hung in the public square by the Corvette guys because I pulled out the clock. I went out and removed the remote control to take a few pictures. Maybe one of you guys might have a better idea on how to do it. For me I just wanted to make sure my customization could be undone.

Yes Crunch527 this is the Clarion MW1 remote control. It is made for marine applications as it is set up to be mounted in fiberglass or a dash panel. Please keep in mind you will still need a head unit designed to work with this remote control. I bought the Clarion M502. I will mount this unit in the back of the car in a box I will build for the speakers and a subwoofer. I got both pieces for around $300 from Sonic so it is a relatively cheap solution.

Here is the remote control

Of course this involves removing the clock which is a very simple operation. I took a piece of sheet metal and cut the outside diameter approximately 4 1/2 inches so it would fit the diameter of the clock support frame inside the dash. I cut the inside hole around 3" for the Clarion remote control to fit it. So basically I ended up with a sheet metal ring to fit where the clock sits. There are two holes in the clock frame meant for the clock tabs to fit in. As you guys know the clock is held in by two retaining clips. I simply used some 1/4 inch all-thread and put a nut on either side of the holes to hold the all-thread in place. On the end of the all-thread I used a 1/4 inch coupling nut. You can see it in the picture. It is like a 1 inch long nut with continual thread. I used this coupling nut to expand to push the sheet metal ring against the back of the dash to hold the sheet metal ring in place........does this make sense? This way I was not glueing, welding, or attaching this ring in anyway.

One thing you will notice is the chrome tab bolted to the clock frame. I had to space the all-thread outward about 3/4 inch so I could make direct contact with the sheet metal ring and also keep it outside of the remote control.

Here is the back of the remote control. The remote control has a bracket in the back which compresses against the back of the sheet metal ring to hold the remote control in place. The problem was the all-thread ended up about 3 oclock and 9 o'clock on the sheet metal ring. I did some grinding and drilled an extra hole in this bracket so it would clamp on about 8 o'clock and 2 o'clock on the sheet metal ring missing the all-thread.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr D.
If it was my car;

1) Chrome Hooker Side Pipes

2) Lose the black hood stinger

3) Keep the interior stock, replace carpet and recover seats.
So far I am going with your #3. I hope to have the carpet in within the week and the seats completed within a few weeks.

I am still kind of digging the black on the hood. I have always like polished stuff but I am getting more into satin finishes and black. I guess its just a phase!!

Get notified of new replies

To Purchased 66 Vette yesterday. Looking for advice.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Originally Posted by FastEddy
keep 'em and coat 'em !!!

Or.....Headman makes full lenght SBC headers that are for running facto sidepipes... they must also make BBC ones??
I really like the factory side pipes on these cars and I definitely would never have put these side mount headers on if it were up to me. This baby has a 502 in it and needs to breath. It truly sounds awesome when you fire it up.........its a car you just like to rev the engine because it sounds so good.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:04 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Slowly doing the rehab on the vette interior. The center console was not looking too pretty so we stripped it and repainted it. Wow what a change. We also had a new shift indicator plate and a new plate to cover the ash tray/shifter area. We are painting some of the trim pieces and really taking our time. The carpet kit is not a simple task if you want it done right. My suggestion to anyone is to keep the old carpet for a pattern to help trim the new carpet. The carpet is anything but glue it and drop it in.

Hopefully we'll get to the seats this next week and have a nice fresh interior. I still need to pickup a clock bezel to complete the stereo install. I also have a nice Wilwood master cylinder to install. My 66 has the big motor but not the big brakes. There is a single master cylinder under that hood and I feel a brake upgrade coming.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:05 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
Cool looking car!
I personally don't care for sidepipese, I like to drive my cars a lot and I find that the noise gets tiring in short order.

I also wouldn't go with C5 seats, I personally have always found that they look silly, and that they absolutely don't look right in a C2, double especially a roadster.

Paul
I agree on two points: The car is fantastic looking, and C5 seats belong in a C5, and C2 seats in a C2.
As for the side pipes, I am a side pipe guy. Yours are cool but I prefer stock pipes. A stunning car.

Quick Reply: Purchased 66 Vette yesterday. Looking for advice.