C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

427 about to go. Bearing?? Video

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:54 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts
Default 427 about to go. Bearing?? Video

This is not on my car, but my father's 66 427. It's a driver and while it smoked a little bit at start up and under hard acceleration, it ran really well until last week. however, that all changed last week. The engine has developed a loud clacking/ticking noise, which at first i thought was coming from the valvetrain, but after investigating the rockers, it actually appears to be coming from somewhere deeper inside the engine. There is also a loud squealing noise that is most audible at the rear underside of the engine. I told my father that I thought it was either the pilot bearing or one of the rear main bearings. Im not sure if the clacking/ticking noise is coming from exactly the same area or not, but it doesnt sound good.

I know in the video it sounds like the chatter is coming from the valvetrain, but all of the rockers are tight and i see nothing going on in the engine valley. The chatter is more audible on the passenger side of the engine.

I'm not sure if there is a way to embed the video. Click the picture and it will play the video in my photobucket album.
Thanks

Also, one other thing i noted is that not all of the rockers are getting the same amount of oil. Some spray, while others barely have oil dribbling out. This is the case on both sides of the engine. It also took around a minute for oil to even start pumping out of the rockers after initial start up. Pressure is around 60psi at start up, but drops to 20psi once oil is warm.

Last edited by 65silververt; 04-18-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:58 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Good time for a fresh rebuild before it's too late.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Lifter

I am no expert by any means, but it sounds like a dead lifter or wiped cam lobe. In that light, it could be a pulled rocker stud or stripped adjustment nut. What type of lifters are in the motor? Jerry
Old 04-18-2012, 11:12 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

A rocker would be loose if it was a wiped lobe. Everything is fine in those regards. Valvetrain is totally intact and functioning correctly. I checked all rockers, studs, pushrods, etc.

I know it sounds like it is coming from the valves in the video, but it's not...it's deeper. When i put my ear to the oil pan while the car is running, i can hear the chatter, but it sounds more menacing, especially with the combination of the loud whine, which is not audible in the video.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:36 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I had the same sound in my 66 427. Pulled the engine and I had a bad piston. Currently at machine shop, I am going to rebuild with a roller. I decided to rebuild the muncie at the same time, finished with it yesterday. Now if I could only get the machine shop to hurry up.......
Old 04-18-2012, 12:27 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i hear nothing but rocker noise like one is too loose or other valve train issues
i don't hear anything deep inside the mill but tough to diagnose with this video
if it is piston slap, sometimes it will mask like valvetrain, also a bad valve guide will create extra lash too
i just don't hear anything that sounds like it's very deep, but again, hard to say with the video.....good luck....
Old 04-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Nitrodamus
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldKarz
I had the same sound in my 66 427. Pulled the engine and I had a bad piston.
The 427 in my 66 developed a sound similar to that and started to get smoke on the right bank. Pulled the engine and found a broken piston skirt and scored cylinder wall. Also discovered the previous owner had rebuilt the engine as a L-88. That was a surprise!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

I hear only a tapping that has the rythm of the rocker arm but the engine did not sound strong.
Any time your oil pressure drops from 60 cold to 20 hot you have internal leaks. If it has done this for a long time the engine may have been built loose. If it has been getting worse lately it may be the cam bearing mentioned in prior post or worn Main and Rod bearings.
The squealing mentioned I did not hear in your video but I have heard spun rod bearings squeal. The noise on your tape did not sound like a rod bearing though.
If a cam bearing has been wiped the lead cam bearing material may have blocked the oil hole in one cam journal giving you weak or no oil in that journal. Lead Tin cam bearings were the standard for years.
Does your oil pressure rise with RPM when Hot?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:49 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Again, there are no loose rockers. I even went over all of them just to make sure that everything was adjusted correctly. When i put my ear down near the valves, the sound is coming from somewhere in the valley or below. I really thought the valvetrain would be to blame, but everything is adjusted properly, no slack or slop, no excessive adjustments required, etc.

Also, it has the really loud whine in the rear lower portion of the block, which started at the same time the clacking noise became present.

Yes, the pressure rises with RPM when hot.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by 65silververt; 04-18-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:07 PM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with everyone else it' a valve train noise. My brothers 402 had a broken valve spring. It was very very hard to find. That tap is a loose adjustment, collapsed lifter or broken spring.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:46 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by INMYBLOOD
I agree with everyone else it' a valve train noise. My brothers 402 had a broken valve spring. It was very very hard to find. That tap is a loose adjustment, collapsed lifter or broken spring.
or....i hate to say it, a lobe going south....i listened again and maybe hear a faint sound of an errant exhaust valve, or spring, or lobe......
Old 04-18-2012, 03:30 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by INMYBLOOD

1. Can't be a lobe failure or at least im almost 100 percent sure it had nothing to do with the lobes on the cam and this is why.
I went over the valves twice and readjusted them. If it were a lobe, that particular lifter would be adjusted down further on the rocker arm NOT to mention, the rocker arm would be loose and the cause of the chatter.

2. Again, Nothing is loose or requires more adjustment than any of the other valves/rocker nuts. I guess a broken spring would cause temporary looseness and chatter while being depressed?

3. There is a loud whine coming from the rear bottom of the engine. This whine started when the chatter started. It's either a main bearing or the pilot bearing. I think it is the pilot bearing because the clutch pedal rattles violently when i depress it.

thanks
Old 04-18-2012, 03:35 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by 65silververt
3. There is a loud whine coming from the rear bottom of the engine. This whine started when the chatter started. It's either a main bearing or the pilot bearing. I think it is the pilot bearing because the clutch pedal rattles violently when i depress it.

thanks
With that symptom, it's more likely to be the throwout bearing.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Nitrodamus
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks
With this latest symptom I'll go with JohnZ and the throwout bearing
Old 04-18-2012, 03:59 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JohnZ
With that symptom, it's more likely to be the throwout bearing.
-Perhaps both concerning the whine and pedal chatter. The pedal chatter has always been present since he purchased the car 4 years ago, but the whine is new. The whine is constant, the pedal shake becomes very noticeable and worse when depressed.

-The chatter at the valvetrain or near the passenger valvetrain remains a mystery currently. The engine was running great before the chatter, but since the chatter began, it runs pretty rough at idle, which i agree, would indicate that it is something going on with the valves. Since none of the rockers are loose or require adjustment, i will take a close look at the springs as soon as i have a chance.

Anyway, due to the engine burning oil and given the array of different issues, i think its time for a rebuild. It burned a quart of oil in under 20 miles of driving.

Last edited by 65silververt; 04-18-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

-Perhaps both concerning the whine and pedal chatter. The pedal chatter has always been present since he purchased the car 4 years ago, but the whine is new. The whine is constant, the pedal shake becomes very noticeable and worse when depressed.

-The chatter at the valvetrain or near the passenger valvetrain remains a mystery currently. The engine was running great before the chatter, but since the chatter began, it runs pretty rough at idle, which i agree, would indicate that it is something going on with the valves. Since none of the rockers are loose or require adjustment, i will take a close look at the springs as soon as i have a chance.

Anyway, due to the engine burning oil and given the array of different issues, i think its time for a rebuild. It burned a quart of oil in under 20 miles of driving.
This is not burning it; it is pumping out straight out.

The roughness, the vibration, the noise all add to one thing - pull the engine out and apart.

I had a 350 that began using oil about a quart every 100 miles roughly. I didn't have much choice about driving it, as I was pulling a trailer from Florida to Chicago at the time and a very pregnant wife. When I got to Chicago and pulled the engine, the block was ruined as it had two cylinders with grooves an eighth inch deep in them from broken rings and ring landings.

Granted if it had been a rare original engine in a Corvette I could have sleeved it, but a plain 350 in a Suburban just meant new engine.

Don't wait.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:38 PM
street62
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

It is not a rod or maine bearing. If the oil presure is ok and there is no loose rockers, check the fuel pump, the fuel pump rod rides on its own lobe just like the lifters. It could also be a stuck lifter from varnish on the lifter. If a lobe was wiped out you would not have full lift at the valve.

Get notified of new replies

To 427 about to go. Bearing?? Video

Old 04-19-2012, 08:12 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

It burned a quart of oil in under 20 miles of driving.
You say burned, unless there is evidance the engine leaked a quart of oil in 20 miles you have no choice but to pull this engine and tear it down.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:33 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Mr D.
You say burned, unless there is evidance the engine leaked a quart of oil in 20 miles you have no choice but to pull this engine and tear it down.

You have been given a whole bunch of "it might be..." here and about 80% of them would involve a teardown anyway. I vote go for it, you may catch something which is getting ready to grenade, and will gain the peach of mind that things are right once it's all done.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:21 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Railroadman

You have been given a whole bunch of "it might be..." here and about 80% of them would involve a teardown anyway. I vote go for it, you may catch something which is getting ready to grenade, and will gain the peach of mind that things are right once it's all done.
It's not my car, so i just went by what my father said on the oil before and after measurements. I dont see any major leaks and it certainly does not appear to be burning enough oil to factor in 1 quart per 20 miles. I should have thought about that statement before posting it...i would think that the car would be like a smoke machine if it were burning that much oil. However, it does blow out a good amount at start up, it smells like burning oil while running, and it definitely puts out a nice plume of smoke under acceleration.

I wont have time to help him pull the engine until next month, so unfortunately, the car will be hanging out on his lift until then. However, i will post back as soon as i have a chance to start pulling it apart.
Thanks again for all the replies!

Quick Reply: 427 about to go. Bearing?? Video