C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Drive Train Vibration - '65 327/Muncie

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Drive Train Vibration - '65 327/Muncie

Car was put together last year and has always had a vibration that seems to be coming from the bellhousing area. Can feel it in the gearshift lever, and really feel it by touching the clutch fork.

Vibration is most noticeable at 2400-2600 rpm. Does it while car is standing still and with the clutch engaged or disengaged. Removing the belts had no effect. Different harmonic damper also made no change.

So I pulled the 4-speed to see if the input shaft was really loose, like a shot input bearing. It seems tight.

I've got the pressure plate and flywheel out for a balance check at the machine shop.

The pilot bearing is a roller type, and appears fine. But,I am going to replace it with a GM oilite solid bearing when it goes back together.

What else should I check at this point in the hunt? Crank to bellhousing alignment?

Thanks in advance. Mike

Last edited by Mike Geary; 04-18-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Geary
Car was put together last year and has always had a vibration that seems to be coming from the bellhousing area. Can feel it in the gearshift lever, and [U]really[U] feel it by touching the clutch fork.

Vibration is most noticeable at 2400-2600 rpm. Does it while car is standing still and with the clutch engaged or disengaged. Removing the belts had no effect. Different harmonic damper also made no change.

So I pulled the 4-speed to see if the input shaft was really loose, like a shot input bearing. It seems tight.

I've got the pressure plate and flywheel out for a balance check at the machine shop.

The pilot bearing is a roller type, and appears fine. But,I am going to replace it with a GM oilite solid bearing when it goes back together.

What else should I check at this point in the hunt? Crank to bellhousing alignment?

Thanks in advance. Mike
I had a vibration like that once in the 3000 rpm range for a couple hundred rpm. It was the flywheel and pressure plate balance. As such, I never install an unknown one (including new ones) without having them balanced first. I've had new ones be several grams out and you can feel it.

The other issue can be a bearing in the transmission, although they tend to be vibrating all the time and increase as the speed gets higher.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
I had a vibration like that once in the 3000 rpm range for a couple hundred rpm. It was the flywheel and pressure plate balance. As such, I never install an unknown one (including new ones) without having them balanced first. I've had new ones be several grams out and you can feel it.

The other issue can be a bearing in the transmission, although they tend to be vibrating all the time and increase as the speed gets higher.

Appreciate the input Procrastination. I should find out Friday if the flywheel & PP check out. I marked their relative position so my machinist could bolt them up like they were on the engine.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,729 Likes on 811 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Typically, if you have a bad tranmission input bearing (one that could cause vibration), you will have trouble engaging 4th gear. If you can engage 4th. with no problem, drop that from consideration in locating the vibration.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
Typically, if you have a bad tranmission input bearing (one that could cause vibration), you will have trouble engaging 4th gear. If you can engage 4th. with no problem, drop that from consideration in locating the vibration.
Thanks Dan. I'll cross that off because the Muncie has never misbehaved in any way.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:12 AM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

If it does it with the clutch DISengaged, it's not the transmission because disengaging the clutch stops the input shaft. That is assuming the the clutch is completely releasing. To be sure, disengage the clutch and put the transmission in gear. If it STILL does it, it's definitely NOT the transmission.

From what you've stated, it's most likely in the flywheel/clutch assembly.

Last edited by 67*427; 04-19-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:51 AM
GeoffM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope yours is In the clutch or flywheel , chased mine through all what you have done, turned out to be the crank good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Drive Train Vibration - '65 327/Muncie

Quick Reply: Drive Train Vibration - '65 327/Muncie