C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Power loss w/ stock manifolds vs. shorty headers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 03:45 AM
AmericanPie
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Power loss w/ stock manifolds vs. shorty headers?

On a '66 or '67 big block with side pipes, how much HP is lost with the stock exhaust manifolds vs. shorty headers?

Let's say you have a warmed-over L-36 or L-68 (hotter cam, some head work, etc.) and you also install 2.5" or 3" exhaust pipes under the stock covers; how much would an engine like this be choked by the stock exhaust manifolds?

I assume given their the higher-revving nature, an L-71 or L-72 would benefit more from a swap to headers, but I'm mostly wondering how much the hydraulic-lifter 427's would gain.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:21 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Just a guess, unless you open them up and let the headers dump at the collector, I'd say very little if any gain.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:51 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Guessing 15-20 or so max depending on who's shorties. Some porting on the stockers can narrow the gap.

Steve Barker is making 680+ RWHP through SERIOUSLY ported iron manifolds on his 540" C-3 and 3" mandrel pipes.

JIM
Old 04-21-2012, 01:55 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

the restriction is the side pipes moreso than the exhaust manifolds. save your money and keep what you have.
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 04-22-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:48 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

The outlet of most Corvette BBC iron exhaust manifolds is 2 1/2 inch. If you measure the diameter of the pipe running to the side pipes, it is TINY in comparison. A full 2 1/2" under car exhaust system will do far better.
YMMV
Old 04-21-2012, 09:52 PM
AmericanPie
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've wondered about the real benefit of shorty headers because if you look closely, the routing of the primary tubes closely replicates the stock manifolds.

For example: http://www.mcjackscorvettes.com/CC%2...eaders%202.jpg

It seems as though the stock big-block manifolds, at least on Corvettes, really aren't all that bad and that it's difficult to improve on them unless you're willing to swap them for equal-length, under-car long tube headers.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:55 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AmericanPie
I've wondered about the real benefit of shorty headers because if you look closely, the routing of the primary tubes closely replicates the stock manifolds.

It seems as though the stock big-block manifolds, at least on Corvettes, really aren't all that bad and that it's difficult to improve on them unless you're willing to swap them for equal-length, under-car long tube headers.
good post!....i think it's all about the "bling" as to why you would run after market manifolds over the well designed GM units......
i run stockers for street use, competition use is a different story.......

Last edited by midyearvette; 04-21-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:45 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by AmericanPie

This applies to the 1964-65 SBC ramshorns with 2 1/2" outlets as well. One very obvious drawback of the BBC shorty headers is the fact that the primary tubes don't exit the flange at a 90 degree angle. They are not normal to the flange plane and so the effective diameter is decreased. This is a cardinal rule in header design!

Pulse tuning never comes into play unless there is first, zero pressure at the collector, and this will never happen if there is any plumbing installed downstream of the collector. The fact that stock GM sidepipes are extremely restrictive makes this a moot point.

Do you know that equal length primary tubes will not scavenge all 4 cylinders on each bank because of the unequal sequence of the exhaust pulses? So the concept of "bundle of snakes" headers:

http://www.burnsstainless.com/bundleofsnakes-2.aspx

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 04-22-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Power loss w/ stock manifolds vs. shorty headers?

Quick Reply: Power loss w/ stock manifolds vs. shorty headers?