C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1957 Inner Door Reinforcement - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 05:13 PM
black1961
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1957 Inner Door Reinforcement - Help!

I just found out some bad news today, my 57 is at the body shop getting prepped for paint. Upon fitting door posts to the car, it was discovered that the inner door reinforcements are missing from the drivers door. The AIM shows three part numbers on Section F, Sheet 14.00

LH 3749249
LH 3749253
LH 3749259

The three reinforcement pieces rivet inside the door.

I have included a photo of the right hand side reinforcement from inside the door, looking from the rear of the car forward.

Are these parts reproduced? If so, where are they available? I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. If they are not reproduced, I will post a parts wanted ad (moderator, please excuse me), but hoping someone can help. Does someone have a damaged door available? Are the later model 58-61 doors compatible, or do I need to stick with the 56-57 doors?

Ideally, I would like to locate the reinforcements and rivet in place on door that I have, as the fit to the body is fantastic.

Hoping someone on the forum can help

Regards,

black1961
Old 05-08-2012, 07:15 PM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by black1961
I just found out some bad news today, my 57 is at the body shop getting prepped for paint. Upon fitting door posts to the car, it was discovered that the inner door reinforcements are missing from the drivers door. The AIM shows three part numbers on Section F, Sheet 14.00

LH 3749249
LH 3749253
LH 3749259

The three reinforcement pieces rivet inside the door.

I have included a photo of the right hand side reinforcement from inside the door, looking from the rear of the car forward.

Are these parts reproduced? If so, where are they available? I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. If they are not reproduced, I will post a parts wanted ad (moderator, please excuse me), but hoping someone can help. Does someone have a damaged door available? Are the later model 58-61 doors compatible, or do I need to stick with the 56-57 doors?

Ideally, I would like to locate the reinforcements and rivet in place on door that I have, as the fit to the body is fantastic.

Hoping someone on the forum can help

Regards,

black1961
check the assembly manual.... i thought the same thing in my 56,,, but door re-inforcements weren't installed ( at least not drawn up) until 7-11-57...good chance your car never had them....
Old 05-08-2012, 07:51 PM
black1961
Advanced

I visited with a 56 owner at the Lawrence, KS swap meet last weekend and he said the same thing about the 56 doors. My car is an early 57, with an assembly date in Dec 56. In the AIM drawing, the door post bolts to the inner reinforcement. What does the door post attach to without the reinforcement pieces? I would feel better with the inner reinforcements pieces in place... so would the body man! The passenger door has the reinforcement pieces riveted in place. Can't swear that the passenger door is original to the car, but the door post is bolted firmly in place. Would like to locate the parts and fix this now. I have about 30 days before it would hold up my schedule with the paint booth. Regards, black1961
Old 05-08-2012, 08:18 PM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

I visited with a 56 owner at the Lawrence, KS swap meet last weekend and he said the same thing about the 56 doors. My car is an early 57, with an assembly date in Dec 56. In the AIM drawing, the door post bolts to the inner reinforcement. What does the door post attach to without the reinforcement pieces? I would feel better with the inner reinforcements pieces in place... so would the body man! The passenger door has the reinforcement pieces riveted in place. Can't swear that the passenger door is original to the car, but the door post is bolted firmly in place. Would like to locate the parts and fix this now. I have about 30 days before it would hold up my schedule with the paint booth. Regards, black1961
..as far as i can see, they bolt to the fibreglas,,,i assembled mine, to do some glas repairs,, and re-inforced the door post area with extra glas,,, seems to be pretty strong, but, i would think chevy added re-inforcements for some reason!!! i may make a plate to shore it up, if i think there will be problems,,, but its been strong so far..can your body man make up a set, as you have patterns on teh other door?

if you believe teh assembly manual,,, i guess the passenger door isn't original, as 12/56 is before they were installed...
Old 05-08-2012, 09:22 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

My car is an early 57, with an assembly date in Dec 56.
The metal reinforcements didn't enter production until early June, 1957; my #4275 was one of the very first to get them.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:09 AM
black1961
Advanced

knockbill & JohnZ,

Thanks for the replys about the early 57 doors, I'll pass along the information to the bodyshop.
Will post photos of the car later this week. It's coming along nicely, panels aligning well and good gaps on the doors, trunk and decklid. I can't wait to see some color on the car!

Regards,

Black1961
Old 05-13-2012, 02:52 PM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

knockbill & JohnZ,

Thanks for the replys about the early 57 doors, I'll pass along the information to the bodyshop.
Will post photos of the car later this week. It's coming along nicely, panels aligning well and good gaps on the doors, trunk and decklid. I can't wait to see some color on the car!

Regards,

Black1961
your welcome... hope it helps...
Old 08-01-2015, 06:34 PM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

I know this is old but does anyone have pictures of how the front channel mounts without the support?

Get notified of new replies

To 1957 Inner Door Reinforcement - Help!

Quick Reply: 1957 Inner Door Reinforcement - Help!