C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Advice on 64 dash wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 06:17 AM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

Here is a link to another forum member who did a complete wiring install. You will get the gist when you scroll down the page. Very good write up with pictures.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-coupe-32.html
Old 09-20-2014, 11:42 AM
climbabout
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gschlarman
Hello climbabout, I know this is an older thread, but am hoping you and others are still willing to engage...

Anyway, I am about to install a new LL dash harness along with a spare restored cluster on my '66 and am intrigued by your "assembly" on workbench comment. I don't think I've read of this approach elsewhere. Can you expand upon it and provide any helpful hints unique to this way of installing? Would you do it this way again? Have you ever done an install the old fashioned "inverted" way? Of course I'm happy to hear others' thoughts as well.
Best
Glenn
Glenn - just saw your post - yes, I would absolutely do the assembly on a workbench again. I removed the drivers seat and steering column, then went underneath and disconnected everything on my back - oil line, tach cable speedo, etc. - while doing this, I had the cluster supported by 8" long 1/4-20 rods that I threaded in the the holes where the dash screws were. Once all was disconnected, removed the cluster and plugged in all the things that go in the back of the cluster on my workbench - testing all the new bulbs before plugging everything in. Once everything was plugged into the back of the cluster, I brought it back to the car and threaded the fuse block over the z bar and threaded the other connections( clock, door switches, glovebox light etc to their respective areas. I rehung the cluster on the rods and then did the final connections laying on my back. Someone on the forum here (maybe John Z) told me that was how it was done at the factory.
Tim
Old 09-20-2014, 04:56 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by climbabout
Once everything was plugged into the back of the cluster, I brought it back to the car and threaded the fuse block over the z bar and threaded the other connections( clock, door switches, glovebox light etc to their respective areas. I rehung the cluster on the rods and then did the final connections laying on my back. Someone on the forum here (maybe John Z) told me that was how it was done at the factory.
Tim
That's correct - that's how the cluster and dash harness were installed at St. Louis.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:26 AM
gschlarman
Instructor

Originally Posted by climbabout
Glenn - just saw your post - yes, I would absolutely do the assembly on a workbench again. I removed the drivers seat and steering column, then went underneath and disconnected everything on my back - oil line, tach cable speedo, etc. - while doing this, I had the cluster supported by 8" long 1/4-20 rods that I threaded in the the holes where the dash screws were. Once all was disconnected, removed the cluster and plugged in all the things that go in the back of the cluster on my workbench - testing all the new bulbs before plugging everything in. Once everything was plugged into the back of the cluster, I brought it back to the car and threaded the fuse block over the z bar and threaded the other connections( clock, door switches, glovebox light etc to their respective areas. I rehung the cluster on the rods and then did the final connections laying on my back. Someone on the forum here (maybe John Z) told me that was how it was done at the factory.
Tim
Thanks Tim, all,

Based on your experience and advice, I have essentially completed the workbench assembly process with my LL harness and spare/restored cluster. I just need to pick when to do this. I don't want to miss fall weather cruising.

I'll need some time since I've already "pre-creeped" the mission by planning to replace insulation, sound deadener, getting wiper/washer motor restored, painting speaker grill, maybe replacing heater core.

Thx again
Glenn
Old 10-15-2014, 03:26 AM
gschlarman
Instructor

Default Dash/cluster install update

I've pulled everything out, assembled new harness on cluster, trashed old insulation and sound deadener, and generally cleaned up under dash area. Before I begin install, I need to R&R and paint speaker grill.

Looking at the many splices and melted wires in old harness, I'm fortunate this car hasn't gone up in smoke.

On circuit breaker, does it matter which of the two reds go on which terminal?
Thx
Glenn
Old 10-15-2014, 08:56 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by gschlarman
I've pulled everything out, assembled new harness on cluster, trashed old insulation and sound deadener, and generally cleaned up under dash area. Before I begin install, I need to R&R and paint speaker grill.

Looking at the many splices and melted wires in old harness, I'm fortunate this car hasn't gone up in smoke.

On circuit breaker, does it matter which of the two reds go on which terminal?
Thx
Glenn
Nope - makes no difference.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:32 AM
gschlarman
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Nope - makes no difference.
I just finished (finally) and she fired up instantly and there are lights and bells and whistles I never knew existed on a 66.

Quick Reply: Advice on 64 dash wiring harness