C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Hardtop to Deck Lid: drill holes or buy set up

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 11:44 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Default C2 Hardtop to Deck Lid: drill holes or buy set up

I'm a bit stuck. I bought a C2 hardtop which is arriving next week, but not sure how to get it installed onto the deck lid. I did my research and understand you need two holes (ferrules?) just past and within the width the soft top latches, as well as two holes on the inner sides of where the deck lid closes toward the front behind the seats. So here's the question.

If the current deck lid was not set up for hardtops, should you drill holes into it, or buy a used one, or a new deck lid already set up with the appropriate holes? So I don't freak anyone out, the original deck lid is no where I know of –*when I bought the Corvette, the seller told me there used to be a roll bar which was cut off, so the deck lid was replaced in the 1970's with a new one without the holes for the roll bar. So I'm not too worried about holes in the replacement deck lid –*but it is in perfect condition, and I'm not sure if templates exist to show where to drill precisely for perfect alignment with the hardtop.

What should I do? Drill holes in existing replacement deck lid, or buy a used deck lid already set up, or buy a brand new reproduced deck lid already set up. If you would go the new reproduction deck lid route, do you recommend any manufacturer? Thanks!
Old 05-16-2012, 11:51 AM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

If the decklid is not original anyway, I would drill the existing. At least you wouldn't have to worry about matching paint on the new one. They sell all of the hardware needed for the holes in most of the Corvette supply houses. I will have to check my AIM to see if they have measurements for the holes. I can measure mine if you need it.

Don
Old 05-16-2012, 12:28 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 5thvet
If the decklid is not original anyway, I would drill the existing. At least you wouldn't have to worry about matching paint on the new one.
Needs a complete repaint (frame off, soda blasting) pretty soon - was in Texas storage last 20+ years, cracked, bubbled paint.

My concern with drilling is precision, even with the measurements. Then there's the issue of the hardtop flex from storage in California for the last decades. Are there templates out there? I need a lot more confidence than I have now to drill such small holes without much error room.

I saw a couple of used deck lids already set up with all holes $200-$300. Not sure how the new reproductions line up with the body.

Wouldn't be a bad thing to have two deck lids in case I want to return it to soft top ready only. As long as it makes cost sense.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:41 PM
C6Matt
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast
I saw a couple of used deck lids already set up with all holes $200-$300. Not sure how the new reproductions line up with the body.

Wouldn't be a bad thing to have two deck lids in case I want to return it to soft top ready only. As long as it makes cost sense.
if 200-300 is reasonable to you, you answered your own question.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:47 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Maybe, but I'd like to hear from people on fit. The current deck lid fits nicely, perfect gaps. Is it your experience that placing another used deck lid fits well? How about new ones? I've never change body parts before, but assume there might be difference from one part (same year), or an undisclosed year used deck lid. I'm guessing there are differences between the years.

my concerns about used ones questions warp, flex, etc with regards to fit if same year is interchanged

my concern about new ones questions manufacturing build quality to fit onto original body

Last edited by ifitgoesfast; 05-16-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: added concerns
Old 05-16-2012, 12:48 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

You can have a couple buddies hold the hardtop in place ( just above decklid) and get the exact location of where the holes need to be for your hardtop before you drill.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Place some modeling clay about 1 in. high in the area of the intended bolt holes. If the top has the mounting bolts, you can remove them or use them for the impression. Press the top down and get an impression. Then take a scribe, center it in the hole impression and tap it to make a mark on the decklid. Dennis
Old 05-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Just drill the existing lid to match your hardtop...I doubt it's flexed any from storage. If so then a replacement lid with pre-drilled holes will be off anyway. I have several C1 friends (not so mechanically inclined) that did this successfully with no issues.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:13 PM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

If your new hardtop is in good shape and does not need rebuilding, use it as the template for your holes. Better yet, borrow another hardtop that preferably has been on a car and mark where the holes should be. Then, when your new good shape hardtop shows up, see how they match up. If the same, you have it. Keep in mind there is a certain amount of flexing in all tops and method of storage is a factor.

If the holes are ~1+ inches apart, then one (or both) of the tops has flexed. You may have to install the new top and get it to settle down on the lid and mark holes accordingly, knowing that it may be a B&*&^ to use a different hardtop in the future.

Hardtops are great! Enjoy.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Hardtop to Deck Lid: drill holes or buy set up

Quick Reply: C2 Hardtop to Deck Lid: drill holes or buy set up