C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1963 LSx Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Dirk - First, your build is AMAZING!!! Thanks for the info, I have to start thinking through how vintage/modern I want the interior - my dash is original, converted to LSx compatable workings. My first thought is keeping things original, but with better material and more modern seats, but covered to bring them back into the period again.. Some of those pictures in the links have me thinking however...

Things will slow some for me with winter coming - interior probably won't be until late summer, next year..

Take Care,
Rich
Old 10-13-2012, 03:32 PM
65LS6C4
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rzepka_r
Hi Dirk - First, your build is AMAZING!!! Thanks for the info, I have to start thinking through how vintage/modern I want the interior - my dash is original, converted to LSx compatable workings. My first thought is keeping things original, but with better material and more modern seats, but covered to bring them back into the period again.. Some of those pictures in the links have me thinking however...

Things will slow some for me with winter coming - interior probably won't be until late summer, next year..

Take Care,
Rich

Thanks Rich - I started without the intent of this much customization. I had a front air dam that I bought years ago which I decided to use. Making that air dam fit was quite an effort, which led to the other ground effects, the glass, etc. Some of the ideas came from discussions with the guys in the forum and their unbelievable work, from Tim my stellar body guy (who just creates from his head and pictures he or I find), and from ideas at the shows.

Just an FYI - If you use the custom guys for any of the interior work they usually book pretty far in advance, some that I have spoken to are running anywhere from 9 to 15 months out, some are so booked they are not accepting appointments. Pricing is not as bad as I thought it would be, but still hefty in comparison with stock parts. If you ever head over to Columbus you can see some amazing interiors at the Goodguys show in June/July. It is definitely worth the trip from Erie.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:48 PM
pw2006
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rich- getting fresh paint on is such an exciting milestone. Congrats, it is going to be awesome! I went to a get together this morning and the vette was a big hit. There were a ton of cool cars- GTRs, Mclarens, Lambos, Ferraris, Vettes, NSXs, Camaros,etc. People just love these old vettes. I did have one guy walk up and compliment me on the car. Then he told me that he hated my exhaust and I should have gone with side pipes. Whatever, there's one in every crowd.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Hello Everyone,

I had a picture from last week, body out of the booth - no sand or buff yet...

On to this week -- Here's a picture of the deck lid and then hood cut and buffed, but they have dust on them so the pictures are not perfect - not bad either, though...

The body was in-process, so everything is dulled out at the moment...

Things shoud be all cleaned up and assembled to the body by end of next week, so I'll post more then...

Have a great weekend!!!

Rich

Last edited by Rzepka_r; 10-27-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Addition/Correction
Old 10-26-2012, 10:37 PM
65LS6C4
Racer

Looking great... I bet you cannot wait!
Old 10-27-2012, 12:59 AM
pw2006
Pro

Looks great Rich!
Old 11-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Hello Everyone,

Body and extras still getting the sand and buff treatment this week - some of the guys went to SEMA so it was a few hours here and there on the corvette...

Has a lot of pad and polish dust on the car, but here are some additional pictures, by next week I should have some with everything clean and complete..

Doors are just cut, no buff yet...

Lastly, a lot of cobra's run them, I'm kicking around the idea of these rims...

Have a great weekend!!
Rich
Old 11-03-2012, 11:21 AM
65LS6C4
Racer

Rich,
Paint looks great! I like the wheels, though how are you going to get them to fit and keep the look of the lip? Do you have special offsets on your frame/suspension?
Old 11-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Hi Dirk,

The Street Shop chassis with the C4 set-up is such that more vintage offsets can be used.. I'm sure there are other trade off's that you may or may not notice in handling because of it, but it does allow the use of wheels with a more vintage lip...

You never really notice by looking at the stock body, because of the design of it, but the back fenders are actually pulled in, compared to the front, about an inch per side...

The chassis is such that the track is about 11/16" wider, per side, in the front...

I have to measure again, just to double check once more before buying anything, but on the rear I should be able to run an 8" rim with a 5 1/4" back space. As luck has it, that's actually the "standard" offset for this rim with the company I'm looking at.. I might run the same in the front or get a custom offset of the maximum of 5 1/2" backspace to pull the front track in just a little more and the little less lip in the front will make the rear rim look bigger and wider even though it won't be..

When I had my old rims/tires on the chassis just for rolling around and the body was on, I was actually surprised it was impossible to visually tell the body in the rear was tucked in like that, visually it really looks wider and not narrower..

Your reply on black paint color in your thread made me laugh - we sprayed "a few" test panels as well - all black is not simply black, it's surprising how they all look different. I did go with single stage, to me that looks deeper than BC/CC when doing black..

Take Care,
Rich
Old 11-03-2012, 04:14 PM
65LS6C4
Racer

Originally Posted by Rzepka_r
Hi Dirk,

The Street Shop chassis with the C4 set-up is such that more vintage offsets can be used.. I'm sure there are other trade off's that you may or may not notice in handling because of it, but it does allow the use of wheels with a more vintage lip...

You never really notice by looking at the stock body, because of the design of it, but the back fenders are actually pulled in, compared to the front, about an inch per side...

The chassis is such that the track is about 11/16" wider, per side, in the front...

I have to measure again, just to double check once more before buying anything, but on the rear I should be able to run an 8" rim with a 5 1/4" back space. As luck has it, that's actually the "standard" offset for this rim with the company I'm looking at.. I might run the same in the front or get a custom offset of the maximum of 5 1/2" backspace to pull the front track in just a little more and the little less lip in the front will make the rear rim look bigger and wider even though it won't be..

When I had my old rims/tires on the chassis just for rolling around and the body was on, I was actually surprised it was impossible to visually tell the body in the rear was tucked in like that, visually it really looks wider and not narrower..

Your reply on black paint color in your thread made me laugh - we sprayed "a few" test panels as well - all black is not simply black, it's surprising how they all look different. I did go with single stage, to me that looks deeper than BC/CC when doing black..

Take Care,
Rich

Hi Rich, That is good to know on the frame. I am sure others will find that information very useful. I just ordered wheels and tires this week. I went with chrome stock C6 Z06 wheels, 9.5" on the front and 12" on the rear with 275x35x18 and 345x30x19 run flat tires respectively. The tires arrived yesterday, they are enormous... my 11 year old son could sit inside them they are so wide. I will also need to widen the inner fender well on at least one side on the front to keep them from rubbing.

On the paint that is good to know on the single stage, the painter suggested to use single stage as well for the black, I was not certain, but your paint looks great. I also just saw that John used single stage on his red which also looks great. As you stated in another of your posts sharing info definitely helps. Regards, Dirk
Old 11-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Hello Everyone,

I had one picture on my phone I really liked - my good camera captured all the dust and fuzz more, but the phone didn't and therefore the picture turned out pretty neat.. I will do this again next week once everything is clean with the good camera..

The entire picture you see is the reflection in the rear quarter!

Dirk - the rubbing you mentioned... The drivers, front inner fender, right behind the control arm is jogged outward to clear the original steering box. On my set-up, turning full right the driver side tire would rub the sway bar before anything else, but turning full left the drivers side tire would rub that outward jog before the passenger tire touched the sway bar, so I changed that jog back to flat..

Have a great Sunday!
Rich
Old 11-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Hello Everyone,

Everything cut and buffed now - did a quick clean and dust of the body and started getting the doors back on... I didn't snap any pictures of the latter - I'll have those later on Monday, along with pictures of the hood and deck lid back on...

Got the seat belt brackets riveted on as well - basically I'm ready to drop the body on the chassis as soon as I trailer it back home next week...

Have a great weekend!
Rich

Last edited by Rzepka_r; 11-09-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: word edit
Old 11-09-2012, 09:52 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Old 11-09-2012, 11:35 PM
pw2006
Pro

Old 11-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Hello Everyone,

Doors, hood and deck lid on - I'll be bringing it home Friday/Saturday to drop it back on the chassis...

Sounds funny, but it was dusty and finger-printed up again (isn't that a constent state of being for black? Haa Haa)

Anyhow, I'll get some pictures right when I pick it up, they'll have it all perfectly clean again then..

Have a great Monday! THANKS TO ALL THE VETERANS!!!!!!

Rich

Last edited by Rzepka_r; 11-12-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Word Change
Old 11-12-2012, 04:47 PM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Black is Bad

Rich, Great build. Black is a great color and it is going to look fantastic with those wheels. Keep up the great work and keep those pic's comming.

Earl
Old 11-12-2012, 05:26 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

The car looks really great It looks perfect

I really like those wheels and they look good on a C2

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 LSx Project

Old 11-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Hello Everyone,

Just picked it up!!

Took a few pictures before loading it up - looks amazing!!

Took one in the trailer, but with the inside solid white, it really doesn't show off the paint..

Should have it on the chassis Saturday..

Have a great weekend!!

Old 11-16-2012, 07:15 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

sure is purdy. jim
Old 11-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Hello Everyone,

Took my time today and enjoyed mounting the body back on the chassis...

It's a nice feeling to know it's there to stay now...

Got the radiator in too - actually I have a TON of things ready to start going together, but I have to get it to it's warmer place for the winter here soon - I'll still be able to do work there as well, just isn't as easy as walking out the door...

Enjoy!

Rich

Quick Reply: 1963 LSx Project