C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ohio Highway Patrol serves warrant to Mershon’s World of Cars

Old 05-26-2012, 08:12 PM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by MiguelsC2
There's no way they are going to start popping anyone whose motor doesn't match the vin.

They were making an example out of the dealer. They sent a lot of people because they wanted to make a public impression and get news coverage towards a dealer that probably deserves it ie:lots of vin plates etc.. with improper documentation numerous attorney general complaints and lawsuits etc...

They are trying to send a message to the classic car dealers. STOP FU%%ING WITH SERIAL NUMBERS.It's a rampant problem and if guilty, I hope they bust the hell out of them!

These guys give the honest car dealers a bad name. And there are many honest ones out there.
Hi how do you know if your vin & title are real.He has been in business for 40years. how many fake trim tags/SN did he have to take off to sell legit Corvettes. You people don't have a clue what went on years ago. How many Cars have you bought. I have bought 100's & I will tell you tons of Corvettes were stoled & retaged in the day.
Ps you sir don't have a clue I know of a guy in Connecticut that I sold a Corvette to & hecouldn't get his 67 titled & they wanted to take the Corvette because the motor didn,t match the frame. I took the car back & gave him his money back.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:26 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by kenba
Hi how do you know if your vin & title are real.He has been in business for 40years. how many fake trim tags/SN did he have to take off to sell legit Corvettes. You people don't have a clue what went on years ago. How many Cars have you bought. I have bought 100's & I will tell you tons of Corvettes were stoled & retaged in the day.
Ps you sir don't have a clue I know of a guy in Connecticut that I sold a Corvette to & hecouldn't get his 67 titled & they wanted to take the Corvette because the motor didn,t match the frame. I took the car back & gave him his money back.

SO!I am a Texas dealer and will having nothing to do with any kind of tampering. Mershons had VIN tags laying around. If they had the proper documents? The cops wouldn't have confiscated them.

I have no need to qualify myself to you.

Do you know the meaning of "IF GUILTY"? If not? They having nothing to worry about. The law didn't show up at their door for the he!! of it.

When I said " these guys" I meant that in the general term of classic dealers who tamper with the numbers.

Ps sir! Go have another beer!

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 05-26-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi. How do you know if your vin & title are real? He has been in business for 40 years. How many fake trim tags/SNs did he have to take off to sell legit Corvettes? You people don't have a clue what went on years ago. How many cars have you bought? I have bought 100s, and I will tell you tons of Corvettes were stoled & retaged in the day.

P.S. You sir, don't have a clue. I know of a guy in Connecticut that I sold a Corvette to. He couldn't get his 67 titled. They wanted to take the Corvette because the motor didn't match the frame. I took the car back and gave him his money back.

You're welcome, but it still makes no sense.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

One thing that has not been fully addressed, and which really burns me, is how a DMV or other agency can arbitrarily decide to remove the VIN and substitute a state one. I'm not talking about a case of proven actual fraud, just the case where say the frame rotted and a different one was legally purchased and installed.

They are taking a piece of property which is legally yours - the VIN tag. They are causing you monetary harm by decreasing the value of your car. I would expect you have the makings of a lawsuit.

To make up a similar scenario, let's say you had an original born-with fuelie motor in the proper car, or maybe a 427/435 in a '67, everything factory original. You take it in for the smog check and for whatever reason it fails. Suppose - and again I'm just playing "what if" - suppose they then removed and seized the original motor and replaced it with a state-approved replacement motor. Imagine the value hit you'd take.

I'm all in favor of heavy consequences for those who deliberately swap things around for deceptive purposes. But I hear of far too many cases where a state arbitrarily confiscates a VIN tag and puts their own on for no proper reason.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:37 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

SO!I am a Texas dealer and will having nothing to do with any kind of tampering. Mershons had VIN tags laying around. If they had the proper documents? The cops wouldn't have confiscated them.

I have no need to qualify myself to you.

Do you know the meaning of "IF GUILTY"? If not? They having nothing to worry about. The law didn't show up at their door for the he!! of it.

When I said " these guys" I meant that in the general term of classic dealers who tamper with the numbers.

Ps sir! Go have another beer!
SORRY if I sounded harsh. I do know that in the late 80'S the state cops & feds came to Bloomington looking for stolen parts & cars. They were taking blocks,tyrannies,ETC that didn't have a SN on it. They treated everyone like we were criminals for no reason. Please read the NCRS form. A guy had his L-88 in a shop for restoration when the police did a routine check & found his Corvette had the frame & motor replaced so they didn't match. He played hell getting his car back. I did have to buy back a 67 Corvette because it didn't have a SN on the block. I am not saying Mershons may have done something wrong but it would make no sense to knowingly buy or switch SN'S.
KEN
Old 05-27-2012, 12:21 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe
I never comment on drama such as this, however it is certainly questionable that there were VIN and trim tags on premises that were not attached to cars.
, i cannot think of a justifiable explanation for that...
Bill
Old 05-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
, i cannot think of a justifiable explanation for that...
Bill
Just trying to match them up to the "correct" car.

Larry
Old 05-27-2012, 12:41 PM
C2Steve
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this explains why their inventory has been a little light lately.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:11 PM
RRod
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of curiousity how does one read the two serial numbers on the frame w/o lifting the body on a 63-67? Did the police have to lift the bodies do check these?
Old 05-27-2012, 04:15 PM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

You can read the partial VIN that's stamped above the rear axle on the driver's side
Only need to remove the left rear tire.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:26 PM
RRod
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that stamp actually on the rear axle housing or on the frame?

Isn't there also another location actually on the frame itself located on the top side of the frame just before the driver's side kick-up at the rear wheel well?
Old 05-27-2012, 05:14 PM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RRod
Is that stamp actually on the rear axle housing or on the frame?

Isn't there also another location actually on the frame itself located on the top side of the frame just before the driver's side kick-up at the rear wheel well?
Its on the top of the frame above the axle on '63 - '65 and just in front of the rear body mount on '66 and '67.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Not commenting on the Mershon's thing because I don't know the details, but it is technically illegal to remove a VIN tag from a vehicle for any reason, no such thing as having a loose tag with proper documents.

Paul
Old 05-27-2012, 05:19 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

that would be my thought too... if it is legal, then i would appreciate someone explaining under what circumstances (at least in Ohio).
Bill
Old 05-27-2012, 09:45 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Driver
More than a tad suspicious.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:09 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

What's a bunch of trim tags doing laying about in the workplace?
Its for nothing good thats for sure.

Mine was removed by the bodyshop when painted never saw it again.
I know he had a box of them laying around.

Thought about getting a repop made but may look suspicious to a cop if ever checked out. Scary.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:17 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Its for nothing good thats for sure.

Mine was removed by the bodyshop when painted never saw it again.
I know he had a box of them laying around.

Thought about getting a repop made but may look suspicious to a cop if ever checked out. Scary.
There are no legal issues in removing trim tags. VINs a different story.

Get notified of new replies

To Ohio Highway Patrol serves warrant to Mershon’s World of Cars

Old 05-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Being in business for 30+ years is no alibi for this. Maybe they've been into it all that time, and just been caught??? Time will tell. But, what a major scandal for the classic car industry! Others may follow.

I've told you all before about my 66 being cloned in Montreal, and sold in the States at a northern NewYork auction, and again, a different version, same numbers, in Windsor Ontario.

Last edited by Kerrmudgeon; 05-27-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

I just love it when everyone piles onto someone elses misery. I doubt that anyone here really knows there real story. Not the newspaper story.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:13 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

SORRY if I sounded harsh.
No problem I have done the same thing too many times.

Unintentionally 98% of the time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ohio Highway Patrol serves warrant to Mershon’s World of Cars