C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Keisler RS600 Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:38 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Default Keisler RS600 Transmission

Finally, received notification from Shafi that my trans was built yesterday, and was tested and shipped today. It's due to arrive on Friday.

Shafi was kind enough to take some shots of my transmission as it was being built. Here's a link to the photos:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...e%2012%202012/
Old 06-13-2012, 08:53 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Joe,

I'm impressed! Doesn't the innards and that case, all brand new, stir you a little bit? Betcha' can't wait to getting it wrenched in. Pretty neat that Shafi provided you with pictures of the build progress and finished unit. Here's hoping you have a trouble free install and, more importantly, a trouble free unit to get many, many miles on her.

I think Keisler should try to provide this for all it's customers who are waiting for their build to ship. Just going that extra effort providing this goes in the right direction to establishing a good rapport and makes for a positive impression.

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:12 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Seems like an effective and low cost customer support activity. Show some of the people building the tranny's and the tranny's during disassembly.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Little notifications like this would go a long way to alleviating a lot of the annoyance people have towards Keisler. Nobody hates on the product, and when you get somebody to deal with you one-on-one their customer service is great...but the black hole of not knowing what's going on for weeks or months was ridiculous.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:07 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Wow, what a BEAST! Can't wait to hear about the install and road test.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:13 AM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

My RS500 is coming soon as well... cant wait for your after install write up!
Old 06-14-2012, 12:08 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I bet you can't wait to get your hands on it. It looks like a beautiful piece. However, I'm not sure what pictures really do for you. They could be of anyone's tranny.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:46 PM
1COOL60
Burning Brakes

Location: Emporia, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, KS
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Me too!

I received an email yesterday that my RS600 has been shipped, and is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

I was recently searching the archives for a post by someone that had installed a TKO (I think) in a C1 without removing the engine. The poster stated they would provide more details if anybody asked. If you are reading this, I am asking. Or, if anybody else could offer up some install tips I would appreciate it.

TIA!

Last edited by 1COOL60; 06-14-2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: crappy grammar (hey, I was an engineering major!)
Old 06-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 1COOL60
I received an email yesterday that my RS600 has been shipped, and is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

I was recently searching the archives for a post by someone that had installed a TKO (I think) in a C1 without removing the engine. The poster stated they would provide more details if anybody asked. If you are reading this, I am asking. Or, if anybody else could offer up some install tips I would appreciate it.

TIA!
My TKO was installed in the '61 without engine removal...you have to tilt the engine back (approx 8*-10* IIRC) and remove the distributor so it doesn't hit the firewall. No problem at all. The C1 ashtray fiberglass "pocket" must be cutoff on most cars but the ashtray remains functional. Instead of cutting just a sliver of the ashtray pocket off (which is what the directions call for) you are better off taking off a nice 'hunk' to glass in later if some future owner is going back to original configuration... My installer did that and fabricated a small 'block off' plate to cover the modification.

It is IMPERATIVE to properly measure and adjust for bellhousing 'run out' for a vibration-free installation...

Sorry for thread hi-jack...
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-14-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Keisler Automotive
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Just a quick note to let you know that we are within just 10 units of being COMPLETELY CAUGHT UP on RS600. This has been a long day coming.

I am working on the communication problems - slow callbacks, etc. It will be improving. I now have a part time phone operator which allowed us to turn off the aggrevating auto attendant so people can hear a real voice when they call.

Taking pictures for every RS unit while building is difficult - it slows down the process. But taking a picture on the test stand should be OK. Just send us an email to sales@keislerauto.com or to me at shafi.keisler@keislerauto.com
Old 06-14-2012, 02:56 PM
remotecontroller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TIA!
I finished up my RS600 install a few months ago. Haven't driven it much since then but there are some things to pay attention to and would be happy to discuss them with you (PM Me and I will send you phone #). I did not have to pull the motor, but if you have a stock 9" clutch disk you will need to buy another pressure plate from Kiesler and get rid of your gorilla spring. If you have the stock steel tunnel shield in place you may want to remove it - it is very tight with the ujoint and I had to cut mine to not have it hit when turning or hitting the gas (when the driveline shifts around). I also might change the rubber mount in the back to a poly one to try and limit the u-joint side-to-side movement more.

Per the other comments, check runout, look at pulling dizzy (I didn't need to), I needed to cut out my ashtray. I also used washers to shim down the back of the trans to better the angle to the differential (this may also help with the ash tray clearance).

Good luck with it!

Ken
Old 06-14-2012, 03:19 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

Tranny ****.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Keisler Automotive
Racer

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Finally, received notification from Shafi that my trans was built yesterday, and was tested and shipped today. It's due to arrive on Friday.

Shafi was kind enough to take some shots of my transmission as it was being built. Here's a link to the photos:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...e%2012%202012/
Joe,
When you hover over the IMG link on any given picture, you can click it and it will copy the link to memory. Then you just paste it here, and the picture will show up on the post. Example as follows:

RS600 Component Assortment

Old 06-14-2012, 06:45 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Keisler Automotive
Joe,
When you hover over the IMG link on any given picture, you can click it and it will copy the link to memory. Then you just paste it here, and the picture will show up on the post. Example as follows:

not to the best of my knowledge. i believe you have to be a paying member to do anything like that.

non-payers have to use Tiny Pic or something similar.
Bill
Old 06-14-2012, 07:12 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DucatiDon
My RS500 is coming soon as well... cant wait for your after install write up!
How soon is soon? When did you order?

I ordered one a month ago. I expected it to be a while until delivery. I was ok with that as their stated policy was not to take any deposits in light of their challenges with meeting build dates.

Within a few days of ordering, I found out that they not only billed me for a deposit, but the full amount of the quote. They did not notify me, I found it on my card statement.

When I asked I was happy to find out it was ahead of schedule and due to ship in a 2 week window. Needless to say this window has come and gone.

No fun build pictures for me, so how about a little background info from corvette land?
Old 06-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

RS500 does require the motor to be pulled in a C2.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:42 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

The tranny looks to be done well. Good luck with install and looking forward to updates!

Get notified of new replies

To Keisler RS600 Transmission

Old 06-14-2012, 09:28 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
not to the best of my knowledge. i believe you have to be a paying member to do anything like that.

non-payers have to use Tiny Pic or something similar.
Bill
You have to be a paying member to attach (store) photos on this website. What I did was post the link to the Photobucket "album" containing 27 photos of my transmission being built. Shafi is partly correct; however, what you must do is "copy" the URL for each individual photo and then paste it in the "insert image" button in the toolbar above the message field when composing a post.

To answer a skeptical post from KC John: Yes, it could be anyone's trans, especially considering the fact that the photo sequence does not show a progression and often shows a disassembly rather than assembly. I was told that it is, in fact, my transmission. It would be great it that was indeed, a fact, but if not, then those are some great shots showing the innards of one or more transmissions just like mine.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 06-14-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:54 PM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TIA!
Kim, you will love the RS, I put one (designed for C-3) in my 61 three years ago. I had the engine out.

1.I think it will be a big challenge to install without at least loosening and pulling the engine forward a little.

2.Kiesler does a nice job, but the ears where the bolts mate to the bell housing should be checked to be sure they are fully relieved. May need to be touched up with die-grinder or file.

Not much room for wrenches. Make sure you chase the bell housing threads to ease turning of the bolts.

Pre-install the speedo-cable on tranny, not much room to insert after installing. I think you can not drop the tail down past the X frame.

The yoke on the newer drive shaft is robust and will rotate in the C-1 tunnel adequately. However, It MUST be centered to avoid the yoke 'kissing" the fiberglass.

This is 'my' cross member, I do know what Kiesler finally designed for their kit.

Length of RS vs T-10
Again, it is a great addition to an old C-1, the low 1st gear and the low RPMs at 80 MPH adds a whole dimension to these cars. I can run all day on long trips with our groups C-5 and C-6s.

Joe

Last edited by devildog; 06-14-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:12 AM
KeislerChris
Advanced

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
You have to be a paying member to attach (store) photos on this website. What I did was post the link to the Photobucket "album" containing 27 photos of my transmission being built. Shafi is partly correct; however, what you must do is "copy" the URL for each individual photo and then paste it in the "insert image" button in the toolbar above the message field when composing a post.

To answer a skeptical post from KC John: Yes, it could be anyone's trans, especially considering the fact that the photo sequence does not show a progression and often shows a disassembly rather than assembly. I was told that it is, in fact, my transmission. It would be great it that was indeed, a fact, but if not, then those are some great shots showing the innards of one or more transmissions just like mine.
I can verify, said pictures were in fact of your transmission. Have a great weekend guys, and thanks for your support.

Quick Reply: Keisler RS600 Transmission