C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'67 L88 cam #

Old 06-14-2012, 10:47 PM
corvette67jim
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '67 L88 cam #

I am looking for an original '67 L88 cam for my L88 tribute.Anyone know the part number so that I can start my search.Thanks in advance
Old 06-14-2012, 11:25 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

3925535- 1st design L88 How is that for not having thought of that number for ooooh say 40 years.

Second design was 3959180. It was a real fire breather.

Last edited by vettsplit 63; 06-14-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:13 AM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

Why would you want to use an old school camshaft like that when there are so many other modern grind profiles out there that are way better. Nobody is going to know what camshaft you have inside the engine.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:10 PM
67L88
Instructor

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
3925535- 1st design L88 How is that for not having thought of that number for ooooh say 40 years.

I'm running 3959180 in my L88 and, take it from me, fire breathe describes it very well. The pull from 3500 on up is fantastic!

Lowell
Old 06-15-2012, 01:19 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
Why would you want to use an old school camshaft like that when there are so many other modern grind profiles out there that are way better. Nobody is going to know what camshaft you have inside the engine.
No need to re-invent the wheel. See post #4.

Last edited by MikeM; 06-15-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:27 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MikeM
No need to re-invent the wheel. See post #4.

You are living in the dark ages if you think that L88 cam is better than the new style grinds on the market today. Hell the ramp on that camshaft is so slow and is hardly radical by any means. You are leaving a ton on the table by using that camshaft. I'm still baffled why some people have a hard on because it says L88 like that makes it more powerful. Use what you want it just isn't the best choice out there.

3959180 - Mechanical Flat Tappet

This mechanical flat tappet is a ZL-1 and LS-7 mechanical lifter competition cam, good in 427-454. (Use spring P/N 3916164.) The duration at lash point in degrees (intake/exhaust) is 327/333; duration at .050" tappet lift (intake/exhaust) is 262/273; and maximum lift with 1.7:1 rocker ratio (intake/exhaust) is 580/620. Valve lash is .024/.026 and lobe centerline is 110 degrees.
Technical Notes: Distributor P/N 1104067 or melonized distribuor gear P/N 1045613 must be used on all crate engines with steel camshafts.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

My fellow Floridian is building an L-88 tribute - maybe he just wants it to look, taste and feel like the original. Sometimes it ain't all about more HP...
Old 06-15-2012, 03:59 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

You are living in the dark ages if you think that L88 cam is better than the new style grinds on the market today. Hell the ramp on that camshaft is so slow and is hardly radical by any means.
3959180 - Mechanical Flat Tappet
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
My fellow Floridian is building an L-88 tribute - maybe he just wants it to look, taste and feel like the original. Sometimes it ain't all about more HP...
Bellieve me, I am equally baffled by your comments. The OP said he was building a "tribute car". A tribute car should look, sound and act like the real thing. That's why he wants the original cam just like Frankie says. And if you think it's not radical sounding/acting, that tells me you've never even heard one run.

On the other hand, you guys that slobber all over a Jegs or Summitt catalogue are convinced that great strides have been made in camshaft design for improved performance in the last 50 years. I disagree with that.

I believe almost all the improvements made in additional power of the "modern" engines as you call it, have been made due to improved combustion chamber design and valve/port flow. It follows that the camshaft design changes to take advantage of the improved basic engine design will improve power. That doesn't mean that these "modern" camshafts will run any better in an old design engine without sacrificing durability and/or upgrading the cylinder heads and pistons. The whole trick is to work with compatiable parts that work together. The factory did very well at this game. Jerking some hot rod part out of a catalogue is no guarantee your engine will run any better and still be reliable.

And don't tell me about roller lifters or roller rocker arms. They've been around since about 1955. What were you doing in 1955?

Last edited by MikeM; 06-15-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:37 PM
tjstarduster
Racer

I put a Custom Cams solid roller in my '66 big block and it pulls strong up to 7000 rpm. I haven't revved it past that.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:01 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by tjstarduster
I put a Custom Cams solid roller in my '66 big block and it pulls strong up to 7000 rpm. I haven't revved it past that.
Mmmmm- Back in the day with that stone age 1st design L88 cam that I put in my 396 Chevelle (3800+ #) I had a 2.64 low Super T10 and 5.13 gears and I wound that **** to 7600 every time I went down the track. It just gets to sounding good about 7400.

Last edited by vettsplit 63; 06-15-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:42 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Bellieve me, I am equally baffled by your comments. The OP said he was building a "tribute car". A tribute car should look, sound and act like the real thing. That's why he wants the original cam just like Frankie says. And if you think it's not radical sounding/acting, that tells me you've never even heard one run.

On the other hand, you guys that slobber all over a Jegs or Summitt catalogue are convinced that great strides have been made in camshaft design for improved performance in the last 50 years. I disagree with that.

I believe almost all the improvements made in additional power of the "modern" engines as you call it, have been made due to improved combustion chamber design and valve/port flow. It follows that the camshaft design changes to take advantage of the improved basic engine design will improve power. That doesn't mean that these "modern" camshafts will run any better in an old design engine without sacrificing durability and/or upgrading the cylinder heads and pistons. The whole trick is to work with compatiable parts that work together. The factory did very well at this game. Jerking some hot rod part out of a catalogue is no guarantee your engine will run any better and still be reliable.

And don't tell me about roller lifters or roller rocker arms. They've been around since about 1955. What were you doing in 1955?
Your clueless, I base all my statements on facts not opinions or feelings, just beacuse an engine sounds great doesn't mean it is making great power. I have heard many cars that sound real good at car shows only to see them be a total turd at the track. I have a very techincal back ground and for your information don't order any off the shelf camshafts, I spec them all. All the motors I build run very well with all the components working in concert with each other. What are you going to tell me next the 30/30 cam is an awesome camshaft for the sbc?

If the guy wants to build a true L88 that is fine and I can accept that, all I was pointing out is that there are better camshafts that will make better power. Tell you what call Bullet Cams and give them the L88 specs and ask what they think.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:55 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Your clueless, I base all my statements on facts not opinions or feelings, just beacuse an engine sounds great doesn't mean it is making great power. I have heard many cars that sound real good at car shows only to see them be a total turd at the track. I have a very techincal back ground and for your information don't order any off the shelf camshafts, I spec them all. All the motors I build run very well with all the components working in concert with each other. What are you going to tell me next the 30/30 cam is an awesome camshaft for the sbc?

If the guy wants to build a true L88 that is fine and I can accept that, all I was pointing out is that there are better camshafts that will make better power. Tell you what call Bullet Cams and give them the L88 specs and ask what they think.
Wow! A real expert here!

I see you still don't care what the OP wanted to do or why he wanted to do it. He doesn't care about aftermarket cams.

Nobody said aftermarket cams won't make more power. Lot's of people will tell you aftermarket cams don't last and/or result in loss of power, depending....................... Yet, you're implying an L 88 is a total turd at the track?

Tell me more about your Bullet Cams when the exhaust runs through cast iron manifolds and street legal mufflers.

I would rather you call Bullet Cams and see what they thinK. I could care less.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:59 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Wow! A real expert here!

I see you still don't care what the OP wanted to do or why he wanted to do it. He doesn't care about aftermarket cams.

Nobody said aftermarket cams won't make more power. Lot's of people will tell you aftermarket cams don't last and/or result in loss of power, depending....................... Yet, you're implying an L 88 is a total turd at the track?

Tell me more about your Bullet Cams when the exhaust runs through cast iron manifolds and street legal mufflers.

I would rather you call Bullet Cams and see what they thinK. I could care less.
Expert No, I just know the facts of what is out there. I've read your other posts on this board it is you who think you are the EXPERT.

If you read my last post you will see where I stated
"If the guy wants to build a true L88 that is fine and I can accept that"
I'm not hung up on the OP using the L88 cam.

I also never said the L88 cam ws a turd on the track.

You are twisting my last post around to make yourself look better.

And there is a 67 on here that made real big power with cast iron manifolds.

I'm done with this say what you want now I really don't care.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:16 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Expert No, I just know the facts of what is out there. I've read your other posts on this board it is you who think you are the EXPERT.

Expert? Nah, not here. Don't even want to be one. You sound like you're excited!

I have a BB Nova just like yours except it won't even pull the front wheels off the ground. I see yours gets about five feet in the air. Is this because of your bullet cam or are your front shocks bad?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:28 PM
tjstarduster
Racer

Does anybody remember the name of the guy who was one of the original partners at Comp Cams and specced all of their original cams. He used to be on the Chevelle website years ago but I haven't heard from him in a while. tis
Old 06-15-2012, 10:36 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.
Received 262 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by tjstarduster
does anybody remember the name of the guy who was one of the original partners at comp cams and specced all of their original cams. He used to be on the chevelle website years ago but i haven't heard from him in a while. Tis
udharold?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:49 PM
tjstarduster
Racer

That's the guy! Is he still around? Supposedly he was one of the premier cam experts. I talked to him briefly 4 years ago when I was building my 496. I'm using the solid roller he recommended and have been real happy with it.

Get notified of new replies

To '67 L88 cam #

Old 06-16-2012, 10:44 AM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63

damn!!!! Nice recall. Hell, once and while and I can't even pull up the chevy v-8 firing order...
Old 06-16-2012, 11:01 AM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beat on 4-speed dave all you like...but he's right. Cam grind technology has come a long way since the 60's, and in my opinion to go thru all the trouble and expense of building a performance engine without taking advantage of what has been learned in the last 40 years is nuts, especially since the horsepower vs cost equation is always working against us... Might even be possible to have a grind with more area under the curve, giving more power, while using lower rate valve springs - which equals longer engine life.

But.... I do understand the idea of using the exact L88 grind if you are trying recapture exactly what existed in the 60's... it would be like experiencing that period to a "T", and might be of interest to those (like me) who had missed it altogether, or to those who want to relive it.

Last edited by FastEddy; 06-16-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:15 PM
corvette67jim
Racer

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
That is exactly what my intentions are.If had intended to build something with even more power than the original fire breather L88 I could go with a turbo charged small block.My friend used to run a C4 with a large turbo on his small block and reached 6.94 in the quarter.But my goal is to build what I would have bought in 1967 if I could have.I am sure that is going to be plenty of power.Especially since I plan on stock size running bias ply tires as well as everything else 1967.Thanks for the correct original cam info.That was what I was looking for.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '67 L88 cam #