C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

AC Compressor ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:31 AM
SMOKINGJOE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC Compressor ?

Hi All My AC Compressor is leaking oil and R12 out the front seal.
Does some one sell a compressor with the new ceramic seal?
Thanks Joe

Old 07-03-2012, 11:49 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Replacement A6 compressors are available from NAPA & other similar parts retailers for between $250 & $300. They are still manufactured new, but are expensive. If your compressor is otherwise in good condition, replace the seal. The front seal is ceramic on all of them. Excellent instructions are here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...placement.html

Dan
Old 07-03-2012, 09:35 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by dplotkin
Replacement A6 compressors are available from NAPA & other similar parts retailers for between $250 & $300. They are still manufactured new, but are expensive. If your compressor is otherwise in good condition, replace the seal. The front seal is ceramic on all of them. Excellent instructions are here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...placement.html

Dan
Not really. A-6 compressors haven't been manufactured new for over 25 years, and the "re-manufactured" ones aren't; they've had a light rebuild (just seals and cosmetics), and most of them use the old standard carbon shaft seal, not the newer (and more expensive) ceramic seal. None of the important internal parts (like the piston rings) have been available for many, many years - if they're broken, they get replaced with used rings. Make sure you get a warranty, and save your receipt.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:17 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Not really. A-6 compressors haven't been manufactured new for over 25 years, and the "re-manufactured" ones aren't; they've had a light rebuild (just seals and cosmetics), and most of them use the old standard carbon shaft seal, not the newer (and more expensive) ceramic seal.
NAPA lists Part Number: NCC 3622244 Product Line: NAPA COLD POWER; new A6 2 groove compressor $639. I have one on one car and two rebuilt (4-seasons) A6's on others. A6's have been made new for the last 15 years I've been in the hobby. If they make new ones, someone makes new parts that go in them. If you are saying NAPA says they are new but they are not, well I'm not sure I'd come down on your side of that.

As for rebuilts, despite 4 Seasons earlier reputation for being problematic I'm running two of their rebuilts on two cars with no trouble. They use new ceramic seals. It is true that the earlier A5's (not to my knowlege used in Corvettes) are hermetic units with no flange and cannot be rebuilt short of a clutch change and re-paint. I have one of these too, on a 60 Buick.

Not looking to start an argument, I have 5 GM cars with factory air and spend a lot of time keeping them all working.

Dan
Old 07-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

New a-6 compressors are available, but GM/Fridgeaire/Harrison isn't still making them. Not certain who the manufacturer currently is, but the new ones have METRIC threads and dimensions. I guess you could think of them as a reproduction of the original.

AC DELCO or Delphi listed them as available a few years ago.....not certain they are still being made.....or if the new ones being sold today are from older inventory??

The cost of a new one is about $500.

Not certain about what seals the new type a6 has. A carbon/ceramic seal should be available for replacement or retrofit if needed. This seal has been available since the 1970's. Very early a6 used a seal with a steel face.....and these never worked well.

Larry
Old 07-04-2012, 09:31 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

It was Harrison until recently, someone must have licensed them. These boat anchors were used by so many cars (Ford in the 70's, Jaguar & Rolls Royce/Bentley, that it probably pays to keep producing them. Same with the old Yorks used in almost everything (including over the road trucks) except GM & Chrysler cars from the 60's-70's, these are still made too.

I see someone has an aluminum A6 dimensioned rotary out now, half the weight & load and look like they would work well in a non-show driver.

The old seals threw a lot of oil around as you Corvette guys already know! (I laughed when I first saw that shield mounted on the front of a compressor). The ceramics in the A6's I'm running now do far less of that. They may be heavy & suck power, but those wobble plate A6's make mighty cold air!

Last edited by dplotkin; 07-04-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by dplotkin
It was Harrison until recently, someone must have licensed them. These boat anchors were used by so many cars (Ford in the 70's, Jaguar & Rolls Royce/Bentley, that it probably pays to keep producing them. Same with the old Yorks used in almost everything (including over the road trucks) except GM & Chrysler cars from the 60's-70's, these are still made too.

I see someone has an aluminum A6 dimensioned rotary out now, half the weight & load and look like they would work well in a non-show driver.

The old seals threw a lot of oil around as you Corvette guys already know! (I laughed when I first saw that shield mounted on the front of a compressor). The ceramics in the A6's I'm running now do far less of that. They may be heavy & suck power, but those wobble plate A6's make mighty cold air!

I did some searching and found this. Company is located in Texas, but not certain that is where everything is manufacturered. FWIW.

http://www.compressorworks.com/default.aspx?page=ASIX

Larry
Old 07-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Default New A6 Compressors

Originally Posted by Powershift
New a-6 compressors are available, but GM/Fridgeaire/Harrison isn't still making them. Not certain who the manufacturer currently is, but the new ones have METRIC threads and dimensions. I guess you could think of them as a reproduction of the original.

Larry
The new A6's are produced by ALMA Products under the name "APCOAIR".

The correct model is 51-16262A which has a 5.625" pulley and the coil connector clocked at 10:00. As Larry noted, it has metric threads.

This is the closest you're going to get in a new A6 style compressor, based on my research.

If your leaky compressor is original, the tools/parts to replace the seal are under $200 and the procedure is well documented in Jeff's sticky.
That's how I would go.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:30 PM
SMOKINGJOE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all
I'm stilling looking and have time.

I like to get a new one with the carbon/ceramic seal.

Its easy just to change it out then change the seal.

Get notified of new replies

To AC Compressor ?

Quick Reply: AC Compressor ?